Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Bing pledges to work for free if elected Detroit mayor » Archive through November 26, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 298
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bing pledges to work for free if elected Detroit mayor
In the Free Press
http://www.freep.com/article/2 0081124/NEWS01/81124039
Quote,
"I've been blessed with two careers," said Bing, a former NBA standout and Detroit businessman. "I'm financially secure and I don't need to go into this office to make money."
His goals
• Reinstituting free bus rides for senior citizens and the handicapped

• Consolidating city jobs, including the role of deputy mayor and chief of staff

• Creating an energy-focused youth jobs program

• Identifying homes and businesses that can be rebuilt as energy efficient by using green technologies

• Restructuring the police department to maximize response time

• Working with the Detroit Public Schools superintendent to create a more progressive approach to education

Also by working for free, he wants to use the $176,176 salary to hire officers for DPD.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 625
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah Bing!

Would that hire like 3 police officers?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9361
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an impressive salvo shot across the bow of all the other candidates. I doubt if any of the others can match this and I'm sure it'll pique some interest of the undecided voters. Granted he's probably the only candidate who can do this because he earns the bulk of his income from his successful business, but who can fault him for being successful?

This generous offer also makes one really think that Bing is not out for the money or the power that the position of mayor holds- which is quite the opposite from Kwame.

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 555
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Something like that, but I would guess the gesture is more symbolic. At least he is emphasizing the importance of hiring more police!

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, thats what Bloomberg did when he ran for mayor of NYC. He made it clear that he didn't need the job for the money. That sends a powerful message to the people that Bing like Bloomberg is about serving the people, not about lining his pockets.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3776
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not so impressed by that. If somebody has more money than they'll ever be able to spend, it makes no difference whether they're paid. So it's no great statement of intent to forgo salary; It's a PR move.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 38
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If he wins, the city should raise the salary of mayor to $8.4 million just prior to inauguration. Then, the salary he'll forego will hire a lot more police officers.

You're welcome.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3779
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*laugh track* *applause*

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Quite the opposite of Kwame, eh? No Navigators here.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 456
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope he actually wants to minimize police response times--they aren't one of those things you want to maximize.

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 319
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think Bing was trying to impress anyone as much as he was trying to make clear that he is not in this for the money. I'll go out on a limb and say he doesn't need to institute a friends and family plan either.

He has operated a business successfully in the city of Detroit for many years. He obviously knows how to cut through red tape.

As a Detroit businessman, he has first hand knowledge of what is wrong, and the expertise to navigate through it from many years of dealing with it.

I think he would be an excellent choice for mayor for issues like stream-lining city services and allocating money to where it is truly needed.

He said he only wants one term. He just wants to go in there and clean house.

I hope he gets the chance.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1712
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haikoont, that's funny! Or is it?

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 752
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think people who say Bing's move is PR move are missing the point. Yes, he does get a certain amount of publicity out of it but why else would he be taking on such a job? It shows he wants to make a difference and is not doing it for a paycheck. I doubt that Bing is some type of masochist. I believe his announcement shows his character.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3783
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those that would be called volunteers eschew any reward, right? So what if something isn't a meaningful reward to begin with?

Go ahead and say my eyes are jaundiced, but what is money to Dave Bing? For once, the Bible agree with me about something: See Luke 21:1-3 ...

"And he looked up, and saw the rich men casting their gifts into the treasury. And he saw also a certain poor widow casting in thither two mites. And he said, 'Of a truth I say unto you, that this poor widow hath cast in more than they all.'"

Are we to applaud the rich, giving their small fraction of their wealth freely, and with great publicity?

Thames
Username: Thames

Post Number: 320
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's not just monetary, DN. He is donating his time and expertise. Despite all the odds, he has managed to be profitable in the city without corrupting himself. How do you put a price on that knowledge? He is willing to share it.

It's one thing to throw your money into the collection plate and it's another to roll up your sleeves and work.

He's says he's going to do both.

Cman710

Post Number: 556
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think another point he was trying to make is that he will not be captive to interests. As someone who is independently wealthy, he does not need to rely on others to financially make or break his campaign, which theoretically would leave him less beholden to special interests than others. Of course, this may not be true, but I think that is the message he is trying to convey.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3787
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Consider me the devil's advocate if you like. I'm just not as impressed by this as others may be.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yeah Bing!

Would that hire like 3 police officers?

4, actually. With a few bucks left over.

The question is: can any of the other candidates (including the incumbent) do better?

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9366
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless of whether anyone is impressed by it or not, I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth here. If the mayor's salary (or any other sort of money) can be rolled back into city services somehow someway- I'm not one to complain.

If this is something Bing seems sincere and genuine about (and there's no reason to think he isn't), then why not accept it graciously? And I think Thames' comment about how Dave Bing still plans on working as the mayor, as opposed to just tossing money at the problem speaks volumes of his desire to run as well. Maybe it is a PR move on his part, but let's see some of the other candidates trump this somehow.

This also goes beyond what Lee Iacocca did with Chrysler eons ago where he took the $1 salary and still made millions off of bonuses either. For Dave Bing, there is no reward for him financially for being elected mayor. In the four years (and out) that he'd be mayor $704,704.00 would be funneled back to the City. No complaints there from me.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 875
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It got me wondering. Does he have the management in place to walk away from his companies for 4 yrs in these tough times in order to devote 50-60 hrs a wk to being the kind of mayor he wants to be?

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5167
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now if he could bring the Auburn Pistons back downtown...

I think this election is his to lose.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6452
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's certainly a nice gesture, but one that I'd expect him to do if he really hopes to topple Cockrel. It's a PR stunt in that no one else in the field could possible do this and still make a living. It's a bold move, nonetheless, a sort of "put up, or shut up" call out to the rest of the candidates. It'll be interesting to see who responds and how they respond. So, nice gesture, and he's going to score a huge point, but at the end of the day it comes down to the plans for the city, and voters will have to make up their mind on who has the best plan. This horserace is getting interesting. It's refreshing to have two competent front-runners who are genuinely good guys for a change. I wouldn't mind seeing either of them as mayor of Detroit.

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 508
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So why the hell doesn't he get to work then? Sit that ass down in Cockrell's office and hammer out a new direction for this city. We need leadership NOW! Not campaigns!

Bing doesn't come close to the knowledge Cockrell has on physical planning and policy, but does have a great head for business and logistics. The two of them together would help us out a shit ton more than just competing w/ each other for the next four elections. This is Asinine!

If he doesn't need the money, he doesn't need the title.

He says he want's to do it for one term and then out? Put your money where your mouth is and run as a joint ticket w/ cockrell. Get in as a Team Player, (what Cockrell won't listen??? ridiculous) and get to work! These stupid elections are only going to tear this city apart.

Westsiiiide
Username: Westsiiiide

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, November 24, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Given the fact that Dave Bing has a degree in economics and marketing, and started and continues to have successful a business during several recessions is the main reason that he will get my vote as a Detroit resident.

The fact that he is forgoing his salary says a lot about his dedication and passion to turn around the deficit created by the previous administration.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 315
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's to figure out with city government?
We need a janitor to clean up this mess.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 3562
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave Bing makes this promise, but its one that he cannot live up to:

1) the Elected Officials Compensation Board sets the salaries for Deteroit's elected officials. Unless they vote to allow him to have no salary and there for chance the city code, he will be cut a check by the City of Detroit.

2) When he is cut a check, he may want to donate it to the police. But that cannot happen unless city council approves it. This is done so that no one tries to buy the good graces of any one department or official. All gifts to the city must be approved by city council...

3) Since he cant get a check for the entire year, but must be paid with the entire employee system, he will have to submit each check for approval to city council as a gift.

Nice house, nobody home...he should have checked this out before he made this promise.

Cman710

Post Number: 558
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zulu, I think that is part of the problem that Bing wants to fix. Most of the problems you cite are bureaucratic, and could be easily handled. In fact, that would go perfectly with his goal of streamlining bureaucracy. The problems could be handled as follows:

1) Even if Bing is cut a check(s), he does not need to cash it. So long as the check(s) are not cashed, then the city keeps the money.

2) It would not be impossible to have the City Council set the money aside for a specific purpose. Of course, this is fraught with the perils of politics, but it is certainly possible.

3) Since the City Council would know that Cockrel would not be cashing the checks, they could appropriate his whole salary at once. Police officers get paid over the course of a year, too, so reallocating the money would not be an issue.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 2966
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Bing doesn't come close to the knowledge Cockrell has on physical planning and policy...

If Cockrel has so much knowledge about those things, why hasn't he accomplished anything?

Zulu_warrior:
If anyone within City government has a problem with the Mayor working without a salary, or doesn't want to accommodate such an offer, then shame on them.

The Elected Officials Compensation Board can set his salary at $0.

The City Council can accept the donation of his salary and use to hire 4 more police officers.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 763
Posted on Tuesday, November 25, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not impressed either-

Running the city isn't about the salary, I am willing to pay taxes/ salary to the best person for the job!

<313>

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 37
Posted on Wednesday, November 26, 2008 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if "impressed" is the right word, but we could sure as heck use three more police officers. :-)
I've asked around to my parents' friends, and they say Dave Bing really does have a reputation as a straight shooter. Has anyone heard anything dirty on him?