Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » College for Creative Studies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Paczki
Username: Paczki

Post Number: 82
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as my daughter was old enough to hold a crayon you could tell that she had artistic abilities. When she was in grade school she attended the Saturday children's programs at the College for Creative Studies. Back then she didn't like the classes; too structured and she didn't want to follow the directions given by the instructor but instead wanted to do things her way.

After that experience she got into sports but continued to dabble in sketching when she had extra time (which wasn't often).

Now that she is a junior in high school she has decided to only play one varsity sport so that she has more time for school and other interests.

This extra time has brought out her creative side. She has been drawing again, helping her friends decorate their rooms and going shopping with them to pick out outfits for special occasions ie: personal stylist.

On Friday we went to the DIA for the M to D exhibit and I couldn't get her out of the place. She was lost in her own little world.

Yesterday she wanted to be a tourist in the city. We went through Brush Park, down Woodward to Campus Martius, drove around Belle Isle, through Indian Village and past the Manogian Mansion.

When we were at the DIA she brought up the classes she took at CCC and asked me about the school and I really didn't know much but told her I'd ask around. She told me that it was too late for her to take art and photography classes next year as she’ll be a senior. I told her that wasn’t true and that all she needs to do is make an appointment with her guidance counselor for more information.

I'd appreciate any information anyone can share with her from the admission process to the pros and cons of CCC or information on art programs at other colleges.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 94
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when i went a portfolio was required for submission along with her school records for approval to be admitted. That and the hundreds of dollars per credit hour....LOL> good luck. Its a great school .

Edmandu
Username: Edmandu

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My daughter is a freshman at CCS majoring in Entertainment Arts/Digital Animation. I've been impressed with the school so far. The classwork seems relevant, and they keep her very busy. A few tips that you may find useful:

Visit the school. Sign up for one of the Information Sessions that are scheduled monthly.

If your high school has an Art Portfolio class then sign up for it. She will need a portfolio for admission.

Make sure that her artwork and portfolio are submitted to the Scholastic Art Awards. Many scholarships are awarded though this program.

Plan to attend the National Portfolio day event where she can have her portfolio reviewed by educators from art schools around the country.

Check out the Federal Student Aid application requirements at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/. You'll need to submit one of these, and they are cumbersome to fill out.

You should be able to locate more info about all of this at the CCS web site.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5179
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't overlook Wayne State's fine art department. It has some great teachers who are established artists in their own right. WSU has produced a large proportion of Detroit's major artists. Among the Detroit fine arts community, its reputation is somewhat higher that CCS's. And, of course, it will be a fraction of CCS's prices.

CCS has a better career connecting potential as it has always been tied in with the big money in Detroit and the DIA. Its non-fine arts area such as industrial design is outstanding and the source of its reputation.

Both are good choices IMO, but don't forget to have her learn a portable occupation on the side too, like hairdressing, carpentry or wait staffing. If she is like most artists, she will need something that doesn't lock her in 9-5 while her career emerges. Learning the basics of small business should not be neglected either.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1684
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depending on what she wants to go into, LTU has a fairly decent graphics program.

Chalu64
Username: Chalu64

Post Number: 274
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 3:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Animation Program/Animation at CCS is excellent. I am an alum, but if I had to do it over, I'd enroll in this program. Plus, it's just an overall wonderful environment on campus. I was able to take many classes outside my major like ceramics and painting, taught by some of most inspirational artists around.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9314
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to CCS. It was a great school. Having it on my resume has definitely gotten me interviews, especially early in my career when there wasn't much experience on there yet. I know this because I was told as such by my interviewers. Some CCS teachers also teach at WSU, and it is a less expensive alternative. Not sure that would have gotten me those early interviews though. I was there for Graphic Design and Interactive Design.

The networking at CCS was also invaluable. I collaborate on projects often with one of my former instructors there. Friends I made there have opened doors for me in the real world, as they know my work.

As for getting into CCS, I needed a decent grade point average, nothing spectacular though as I recall. Also needed an entrance portfolio. You will have an interview where you show your entrance portfolio, and then talk a walk around campus while some people go over it. Your entrance portfolio does more than just decide whether or not you get into the school, if you show very strong work in certain areas, you can actually get out of some early foundations classes.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 233
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell hit the nail on the head: "Both are good choices IMO, but don't forget to have her learn a portable occupation on the side too, like hairdressing, carpentry or wait staffing."
This is absolutely necessary for almost all who choose art as their occupation.

Uptown
Username: Uptown

Post Number: 21
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I graduated from CCS in Jan 2004 with an Animation/Digital Media degree. At the time, the Animation curriculum was trash. I was part of the traditional Animation track, and we were given the table scraps in terms of labs and facilities, yet had to pay equal lab fees as the Digital track. Job placement was nill. I have a friend there who currently works in the Student Life, and she told me there was a world of change that happened.

Keep in mind, the first semester at CCS is designed to weed out those who can't handle the stress. My teachers told me that I will hate to draw, but you have to have a deep motivation to continue. I would suggest a light workload (12-15 credits), not the full 18 credits that is recommended. The cost per credit hour is also something to consider. I would suggest to take as many classes at a community college (english, science, etc) in order to save money and time.

Also, CCS to my knowledge still has issues with business classes for artists. Job placement may not be able to find suitable employment. You must be able to sell yourself.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1407
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had reps come from CCS to visit my Senior classes. A few of my students have gone on to CCS. They have reported nothing but great experiences with CCS.

Tell your daughter to also check into other "art" schools based upon her desired career.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.