Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » SS Montrose « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Cosine
Username: Cosine

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While converting some old slides taken by my Dad, I came across these three pics of the S.S. Montrose, which collided with a barge and sank beneath the Ambassador Bridge in 1962. Does anyone have any other information on this incident?

Top of pageBottom of page

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From "Great Lakes Ships We Remember Vol. II", by The Marine Historical Society of Detroit, Peter Van Der Linden, author and editor.

"Just as Montrose was leaving the Detroit Harbor Terminals dock on July 30, 1962, upbound with general cargo, the vessel was struck by the downbound cement clinker barge ABL-502 being pushed by the tug B.H. Becker. ....There were no casulties.

When salvage operations began in late August, the vessel was lying on its side in about 45 feet of water, approximately 400 feet from the Detroit shore......To bring the vessel to the surface, offshore anchors and pulling tackle had to be used. The hull was gradually dragged shoreward by means of beach gear and pumping. The hole (34 feet in length through holds 1 and 2) in the side of the ship was patched with 73 cubic yards of cement.

After 101 days underwater, the Merritt-Chapman & Scott salvage vessels succeeded in raising the ship on November 9th. The vessel was taken to the Lorain, Ohio shipyard of American Shipbuilding Company for repairs.......she sailed out of the lakes in 1963."

I remember it was a BIG thing to drive out onto the Ambassador Bridge and look down on the Montrose laying on its side in the river. We did that a couple of times.....

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.