Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Oldies Station: Bham? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thegryphon
Username: Thegryphon

Post Number: 63
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the Oldies station, WOMC. I always thought it was funny that it is in Birmingham. Then I realized that besides the two major news stations, the other stations in the region are based in the 'burbs. Either Dearborn or Birmingham. I was wondering why out there and not in the city?

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 408
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, that raises an interesting question. WCSX claims "Birmingham - Detroit", but I believe the Greater Media Building (home of WRIF, WCSX, WMGC) is just north of 8 mile even though they have a Detroit, MI mailing address?

WNIC claims "Dearborn - Detroit", but all Clear Channel stations are housed in a building at 12 Mile & Halsted in Farmington Hills as far as I know (I used to work next door to it). Clear Channel stations include WKQI, WNIC, WJLB, WDTW, WMXD, WDFN). Not sure if any have an outside studio presence.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 554
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe they are afraid of scrappers stealing the broadcast antenna?

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 991
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WJLB's station is in the Penobscot Building.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9424
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, actually WOMC is listed as Ferndale:

2201 Woodward Heights Blvd. (9 1/2 Mile)
Ferndale, MI 48220-1511

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 346
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stations are licensed to a particular city, sometimes to two cities. They have to keep an office in the city of license for citizen access to their public inspection file, but the studios can be located in another city. The transmitter and towers can be located at another, third, site. All of this must be specifically arranged with the FCC. Most of the actual transmitters in the region are in the Southfield area, since that is the center of the region. Over time, lots of the studios have relocated to that part of the metro area, and a lot of the co-owned stations are all in the same building with each other and share sales staff and engineering staff.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 150
Posted on Sunday, November 30, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

>>>>Stations are licensed to a particular city, sometimes to two cities. They have to keep an office in the city of license for citizen access to their public inspection file, but the studios can be located in another city. The transmitter and towers can be located at another, third, site.

My understanding of this was that the signal had to have a certain strength for the city of licensure (the one they list first during the hourly announcement of call letters and location). There may also be a local office requirement as well. This stuff has to be approved by the FCC. Michiguide.com has maps and info about all the Michigan stations.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not getting why it is odd for an oldies station to be located in Bham. Can someone explain? What does the community have to do with the type of music?

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1490
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

w.i.n.k., inkster, bringing you all your country favorites! stay tuned for our tribute to earl scruggs, coming right up after this brief commercial break...

Big_baby_jebus
Username: Big_baby_jebus

Post Number: 18
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of stations in the Southfield - Ferndale - Royal Oak Township area because that area is in the center of the mass of population. They are Geographically located there to reach the most people possible.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9445
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone catch the news this weekend that there was actually a small TV station in Cincinatti that took up the WKRP call letters?

I miss that TV show... where they had "More music and Les Nessman!"

Kensingtony
Username: Kensingtony

Post Number: 34
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the early 70's WNIC was in Dearborn in a little building just to the east of what's now the Nissan dealership on the south side of Michigan Avenue.Did the station move?

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4871
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smog, WKRP is probably one of the best, if not the best, sitcoms ever. The live turkey drop was an absolute classic. The next best sitcom was Barney Miller. Just the theme music deserved an award. Wojo bringing in the hash brownies was top of the heap. And he brings in a Detroit connect with his sister having been Emily Gail of Emily's Chocolate

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 401
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, Thecarl, WINK-AM/FM/TV is in Ft. Myers, fla. Has been for well over 30 years.
I aspired to work there once upon a time.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3967
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry Jcole, whoever thinks WKRP (or Barney Miller) are some of (if not) the best sitcoms ever is deprived from good television.

They were decent, but certainly not the best.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 01, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And what would be your choices? Please don't say Seinfeld, Cosby, or Maude.

Edmandu
Username: Edmandu

Post Number: 2
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WCSX's 94.7 frequency was once oldies "Honey Radio" WHNE with sister station WHND 560AM out of Monroe.

"Rock 'n' roll's been going downhill ever since Buddy Holly died,"
--
John Milner
American Graffiti

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 348
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit needs pirate radio.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1102
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WDET is based in Detroit - didn't know if you considered that a "major" news station - though I think it is THE major news station.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 739
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the summer of 86 when my 1965 Comet ran, All I had was an AM radio in my car which pretty much left it Honey Radio, WSM, WJR{TIGER BASEBALL},WSDS, and 1500 95.5 AM. Now I listen to the oldies and think back and say "the oldies weren,t that old back in the day"

Luckycar
Username: Luckycar

Post Number: 130
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1460 WPON and 580 CKWW out of Canada are good oldies stations.1460 plays mostly 50s music.They will also mix in some pre-motown Detroit suff.Jack Scott,that good early 60s stuff.580 will play alot of early 70s Canadian content music which killed CKLW back in the day.104.3 went to 70s and 80s crap.Bruce Springsteen and Journey should never even be on the radio,let alone on an oldies station!
Barney Miller should have its own thread.The best show ever.Remember these..."Blood on the Badge" Fish slowly walking to the john the winning horse Pick Me Nick Wojos baseball .

Beech_cricker
Username: Beech_cricker

Post Number: 24
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kensingtony, the WNIC building on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn, was vacant when I visited there about five years ago. This building housed WKNR (Keener) prior to WNIC.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3970
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And what would be your choices? Please don't say Seinfeld, Cosby, or Maude.

They're most definitely better than WKRP.

BTW, that's the 80s Cosby Show (NBC), not the terrible 90s (CBS) revival.

Some that come to mind are...

-I Love Lucy
-Married With Children
-Happy Days
-All In The Family
-The Jeffersons
-Three's Company
-Roseanne

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 02, 2008)

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 59
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1460 WPON and 580 CKWW out of Canada are good oldies stations.1460 plays mostly 50s music.They will also mix in some pre-motown Detroit suff.Jack Scott,that good early 60s stuff.580 will play alot of early 70s Canadian content music which killed CKLW back in the day.104.3 went to 70s and 80s crap.Bruce Springsteen and Journey should never even be on the radio,let alone on an oldies station!
Barney Miller should have its own thread.The best show ever.Remember these..."Blood on the Badge" Fish slowly walking to the john the winning horse Pick Me Nick Wojos baseball .

There are actual radio stations that play 50's and pre Beatles music !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Most oldies radio stations play 70's stuff

Mickeymac
Username: Mickeymac

Post Number: 60
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than the rural shows, most TV shows prior to 1968 are the best ever. There were few(and I mean very few) shows that were made past that time that were worth like watching.

Sanford and Son
All In The Family

are two examples of the very few TV show made past 1968 that are any good.

I will say this loud and clear so people know where I stand

Fuck the idiot who created the Simpsons
and fuck Jerry Seinfield

Those are the two worst shows in the history of anything and belong in a pile of dogshit.

Servite76
Username: Servite76

Post Number: 117
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edmandu, unless I missed something, WCSX 94.7 was WMJC prior to the format change. How can we forget Alan Almond's candle light. WHND was the AM sister station known as "Honey Radio" with Fred "Boogie" Bryant and Ted "The Bear" Richards. Although WHND was licensed out of Monroe, their broadcast studio was in the same building as WMJC in Royal Oak Township.

(Message edited by Servite76 on December 02, 2008)

(Message edited by Servite76 on December 02, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4896
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drise, I'll give you Happy Days, All in the Family and Roseanne, but my two beat Three's Company all he way, as well as I Love Lucy. It's all a matter of taste, and the type of comedy you prefer. I love Bill Engvall{comedien, not TV show} but am lukewarm on Larry the Cable Guy. Same concept, different approach.

Edmandu
Username: Edmandu

Post Number: 3
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Honey Radio" WHNE became "Magic 95" WMJC in 1976 according to the info at http://wapedia.mobi/en/WCSX. I remember Tom Ryan being a guest speaker at Southfield-Lathrup HS in '76 and I asked him about the format change. He answered that radio stations change formats all the time. How true.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3972
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, very true.

However, I will say WKRP in Cincinnati never won a Emmy or Globe award (despite so many nominations), compared to the other shows I listed. Three's Company is an exception, but it still has the highest Nielson ratings over any mid-season show ever.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 02, 2008)

Jcole

Post Number: 4897
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, but there are a lot of movies and shows that HAVE won that I wouldn't want to bother seeing. 'English Patient' anyone? Also 'Pushing up Daisies' which garnered 12 nominations for Golden Globes got cancelled before the awards show. Go figure.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 3973
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jcole, it's all a matter of opinion.

BTW, I Love Lucy to this day still has one of the (if not the) highest Nielson rating over any sitcom in history.

Jcole

Post Number: 4900
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're right, nobody has the same identical tastes in everything. We'll just agree to disagree.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 352
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving thru Slowhio (ohio) a month ago, a Cleveland station has the WKNR call letters. It was mostly sports talk. Any relation to old WKNR, same owners, anyone?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.