Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » McDonald's Has Beef With Detroit Restaurant « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 304
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDonald's Has Beef With Detroit Restaurant
From Local 4 with newsvideo,
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/18181668/detail.html
Nicky D's vs Mickey D's on the West side
I think Nicky D's did rip off Mcdonald's. Just look at that "N" or I say cut off "M". That "N" says it all.
What do you guys think? Did Nicky D's rip off Mickey D's?

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3814
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, poor helpless McDonald's. What will they do in the face of this atrocity? I'd like to start a general fund to help defray the unnecessary legal expenses McDonald's probably has to pay to fight this in court. Please give generously. :-)

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 155
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I've seen the logo for his restaurant, and I call bs on him not knowing that it has no resemblance to the McDonald's logo.

"Sorry I didn't know"

Sure buddy.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 423
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes but they do make a great corned beef sandwich!

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1252
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, I think the name Nicky D's shouldnt be a problem, but the sign, logo, and color scheme is a blatant copyright infringement.

Urbanfisherman
Username: Urbanfisherman

Post Number: 58
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDonald's should sue the hell out of him. He is practically asking for it.

Hockey_player
Username: Hockey_player

Post Number: 458
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That story is a farce. It originated as a Freep article this morning, in which the only mention of McDonald's is the owner's four-word statement that he got some kind of letter from them. He's not being sued, McDonald's hardly cares, but the reporter needed a hook for the story and ran with an exaggeration.

Far worse though is that WDIV took that minor crumb and sensationalized it further this evening, without bothering to contact anyone from McDonald's to verify their hyped-up assertion. They basically fabricated this notion that McDonald's has a problem with some two-bit coney island deliberately modeling their sign somewhat on the McDonald's logo.

It's a substance-free piece by a TV station ripping off a newspaper article in the first place, by a station too lazy to do its own original reporting.

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1193
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reminds me way-too much of the Eddie Murphy hit movie "Coming to America" (featuring a similar McDonald's trademark infringement issue).

(Message edited by chuckjav on December 01, 2008)

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 67
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha that was "Mac Arnold's" I believe. ;)

Rrl
Username: Rrl

Post Number: 1039
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDowell's

McDowells

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops my bad! lol (where did I get that mac arnold's name???) I loved the scene where the owner is reading a Mc Donald's management book...

(Message edited by Dave70 on December 01, 2008)

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 71
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"McDowell's" -- the Golden Arc's, vs. the Golden Arches!

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 727
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, at least the owner's getting free advertising.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 44
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I drive past the two double D's every day, and Micky D's is surely making more money than Nicky D's. I must add that the evening supervisor of that McDonald's lives on my mother's block. I would never help pay her salary. She sends her rude, weed smoking children and their friends across the street to ruin my mother's lawn. Nicky D's has been there as long as I have had a license to drive. Please, let leave the man alone. The competition adds character to the corner of 6 mile and Livernois.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 772
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As soon as I went back to school and I saw that I nearly peed myself laughing. Nicky D's will never be Detroits Finest. LOL. I swear that place changes right before school starts each year.

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1321
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free advertisement for both.

I'm sitting here thinking about Micky D's fries.
If the weather was a little nicer I'd probably walk up to the Mc D's by my house and pick some up. Maybe tomorrow for lunch.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1726
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 9:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"See, I'm washing lettuce!"

God, Louie Anderson cracked me up when he said that. Then went on to say that "someday if I work hard enough I'll make Assistant Manager, and that's when I'll start makin' the big bucks!" Or something like that.

I get a kick out of Nicky D's signage.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3968
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's another Nicky D's on 8 Mile & Mound.

Mcdonalds would sue if Ronald ate at Burger King.

BTW, is that the same Zef who owns the Coney Island downtown?

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 01, 2008)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 824
Posted on Monday, December 01, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 349
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dave 70

It was WacArnolds, from Chapelle's Show. The goodie-too-shoe-was a neighborhood role model cuz he didn't smoke the reefer and brought money home to his family.

Jack_myer
Username: Jack_myer

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They're McDonald's, I'm McDowell's. They've got the Golden Arches, I've got the Golden Archs. They've got the Big Mac, I've got the Big Mic. They've both got two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, and cheese, but they serve theirs on a sesame seed bun. My buns have no seeds.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Son, I'm only gonna tell you this once: If you wanna' keep your job around here, lay off the drugs!"

"Most exhilarating." Thanks Jack.

Jack_myer
Username: Jack_myer

Post Number: 12
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. I tried to find the scene I referenced on Youtube, but it doesn't seem to be there.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9461
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So help me if the owner of this place looks like John Amos.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 889
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just let your SOUL GLO!!!!

Eriq Le Salle's hair in that movie is HILARIOUS.

Margdar
Username: Margdar

Post Number: 25
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Get a real job!"

"Bitch, WacArnold's is giving me an opportunity to support my community and feel responsible for the welfare of my own environment!"

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2963
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDonalds needs to shut up and go away. They are complaining about the colors of the dining room? Since when did any organization have exclusive rights to the color of upholstery.

The logo is similar. I don't see arches. I see an N that is fashioned into a similar arch. Big Deal.

McDonalds sucks anyway. Haven't ate their for years, can't face another one of their infrared baked mushburgers. They really need an overhaul of their menu.

Dan_the_man
Username: Dan_the_man

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He built his new restaurant right across the street from a McDonalds. The N in Nicky is obviously the McDonalds arch cut in half and Nicky D's sounds an awful lot like Micky D's. If he really didn't realize all the similarities then he is stupid. I was wondering how long it was going to take for him to get in trouble.

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 5279
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He built his new restaurant right across the street from a McDonalds. The N in Nicky is obviously the McDonalds arch cut in half and Nicky D's sounds an awful lot like Micky D's. If he really didn't realize all the similarities then he is stupid.

Sure, their may be some "coincidences", but do they constitute copyright infringement?

Last I checked, it was perfectly legal to build a restaurant across the street from McDonald's. It was legal to use yellow and red in your restaurant. And is "Mickey D's" even trademarked?

Seems to me the phrase "coney island" in the name clearly indicates he is not, in fact, McDonald's. But that's just my opinion.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2949
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...And a hearty DY thank-you to Dan_the_man for explaining the finer points of the issue to those of us too obtuse to secure a grasp on them...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7990
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HAH!

Clown food! Don't eat it

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1711
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise: Not the same Zef. The owner of Zef's in Eastern Market is our old friend Zef Djeljaj, who used to work for Dino at the U of D Coney before he set out on his own.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6946
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

McDonald's Stock Slides As More Consumers Turn To Food

20043_stotter
Username: 20043_stotter

Post Number: 708
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Somewhat misleading as the stock slide post is dated 2003.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 6947
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Er, um. It's The Onion.

Bdglsmn
Username: Bdglsmn

Post Number: 131
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not that it matters much to this conversation but the guy that owns that McDonalds is actually a pretty nice guy. He also owns the one at Fenkell and Wyoming. He really puts emphasis on creating a good work ethic within the kids that he hires even though he knows 99.99% of them will be moving on as soon as they find something better.

Dissolvedgirl3
Username: Dissolvedgirl3

Post Number: 17
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was shocked with the second half of this thread's title. I just thought it said "McDonald's has beef." Seriously, that's news to me :-)

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 272
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when it was detroit's finest some crackhead tried carrying my gf outta there after bar close. i was ready to stab the c*cksucker. the cook came out from behind the bulletproof glass and said he should behave because "there are white people in here"

that was my last week in detroit

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 777
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey hey hey don't give c*cksuckers a bad name. I would never go to Detroit's Finest, and no one else I know would either. I remember when some guys from UDM got attacked there, that place was bad news.

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 74
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those of you keeping up on the situation, as of last night the sign on the front of the building had a different N on it that looks nothing like a McDonalds arch.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 48
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed yesterday that the tall self standing sign was gone. I guess they ordered a new one.

Hybridy
Username: Hybridy

Post Number: 273
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

6nois-wasn't meant to bash your people

with all due respect, its a udm right of passage to go to det's finest after the around the world party at the sig ep house

unfortunately, i think both traditions ended in 2005

Dan_the_man

Post Number: 76
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visited Detroit's Finest many times over the past few years, although we always called it DCT which I believe was another former name of the building. We even once walked/stumbled there in pouring icy rain all the way from the quads, just to get some late night chili cheese fries.

I have yet to visit Nicky D's, but from what I've heard the food is pretty good.

Hybridy -- I'm not sure if it's really a bad thing that the Sig Ep house is no more.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1567
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

zzzzzzzzz. Boring.
Freep had that story first, anyway.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.