Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Which streets have the most interesting houses? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 38
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if they are a bit rundown - do you have any favorite streets because the houses are all architecturally fascinating?

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1033
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are so many but the first to come to mind for me are the elaborate homes off of Livernois between 6 and 7 Mile

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7991
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmont/Rosedale Park. Nice ghettohood with a few vacant and abandon houses.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 89
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grand Boulevard!

I would also say parts of Highland Park, especially the arts and crafts bungalows, Areas like Russell Woods or La Salle Gardens with their Detroit 1920s Tudors, etc., Trumbull and the areas around it on the near west side with Victorian-era homes.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 968
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grosse Pointe, too many to list

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 96
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Brush Park? There's still a few gems around there.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Islandview Village.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1055
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lahser in Old Redford.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 397
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's actually a hard question. There are still many neighborhoods with large grand homes. Also viable, neighborhoods with somewhat more modest homes make great candidates too. I think I will not pick any one street. I would just like to point our that the city has a housing stock that is diverse and interesting. It is a shame that we lose too many well built neighborhood homes to blight and poverty. One point that isn't made too often however is that many areas that are now urban prairies were built by built unlicenced individuals who came here for the early automotive jobs. My grandfather's home would be a good example. He built a one bedroom frame home on Barham, he later added a second story as an income that was let to relatives during the Depression. As an after thought, a Michigan basement was added. Barham became what is called an ally street. I find the history interesting but many homes like this were built on the eastside. Most are long gone and didn't have a chance at surviving because as they aged they became fire traps. They were poorly built, poorly insulated and poorly wired. When people deride the urban prairie on the eastside I hope they take into account the reason as to the type of housing stock that is gone.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2315
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 1:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Outer Drive

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 39
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow -what a great and quick response! and how different everyone's opinion is-thanks.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3969
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Definitely Outer Drive & Grand Blvd.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 90
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas is correct about the thrown-up homes of the early automobile era. Many of them are gone for good reason.

The house my father was born in on Eastlawn was one of those. My family owned the house, which was built by my relatives and their friends, from the time it was built in the late teens or early 1920s to the time they walked away from its now-crumbling carcass in the early '80s. Unless a lot of money was poured into essentially rebuilding it, which given the value of the land would clearly have been foolish, that cheaply and hurriedly built house with an unfinished basement had lived out its useful lifespan.

But, of course, Detroit is also losing, and has already lost, significant numbers of very nice, solidly built, and often architecturally impressive homes. When I was thinking about the question that began this thread, I took a Google Street View look at one of the streets my mother grew up on, Lincoln north of Myrtle (MLK Blvd.). There are huge gaps in the streetscape there (including her old house), but what's left are some beautiful, and highly varied, Victorian houses. The original poster should have a look at that street.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas, I lived on Bedford until 1995 and remember Barham well. That was a truly strange street, with houses only on one side of the street and only garages on the east side of the street for I guess the Nottingham homes. It was a bizarre mix of cheap frame homes for the most part. You and Eastsideideal make a good point, many of those houses appeared to be hand-built and were never made to last. And one or two of those on a block meant trouble by the 1970's and 1980's when people no longer had an interest in living in them let alone upgrading or maintaining them. And many would sag and lean, looking ready to collapse.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2761
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oakman Blvd from Ford Road to Grand River.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 322
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glastonbury in Rosedale Park

Turkeycall
Username: Turkeycall

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Corner of Chandler Park Drive / East Outer Drive / Whittier. A white house with rounded corners and a flat roof. I'm not sure, but the house appears to be made of poured concrete.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3823
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Historic Canfield! :-)

Fareastsider
Username: Fareastsider

Post Number: 1034
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think we had a big discussion on that house some time ago on here Turkeycall. . . . .

Turkeycall

Post Number: 88
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fareastsider,
I've only been on the site since September. Sorry if I covered plowed ground.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2038
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brightmoor

Meaghansdad
Username: Meaghansdad

Post Number: 282
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lakeshore Drive

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14838
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Gazhekwe's recommendation for Oakman Boulevard, but will add a zig-zag zoom through the ENTIRE Aviation Subdivision, from Schaffer to Wyoming...Warren to Joy Road...especially the houses on the X-streets, Littlefield and Esper Boulevard, that make the heart of the 'Aviation' field on the map.

Then, for fun, the wee-person's sub-subdivision off of Grand River near Southfield...someone's gotta have that precisely posited on a GoogleMap?!

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7576
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

3 very interesting streets come to mind (one was already mentioned)...

1) Historic West Canfield.
2) Historic East Ferry.
3) Kenwood Dr. in Grosse Pointe Farms.

The one block of Kenwood (Between Kercheval and Grosse Pointe Blvd.) has arguably the highest concentration of enormous mansions in any single block of homes I can find anywhere in metro Detroit. Yeah Lakeshore, Windmill Pointe, 3 Mile Dr. and several other streets in the Pointes also have great mansions, but they're more spread out over several blocks.

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 135
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second Brush Park, second Grand Blvd (eastside & westside). I remember driving to Belle Isle as a kid and how grand those homes were. So sad that they're in decay now.

I would like to nominate almost all of the streets in the Boston-Edison district and then also Trumbull between Warren and MLK.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 4289
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

does anyone remember the three mile drive of the 60's and its' Christmas Lights..even during hard times they seem to have kept the spirit alive..

what about the older homes off of woodward as it worked it's way out of downtown, and the older neighborhood off of gratiot...What were those neighborhoods called?

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 445
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Vaughn Road in Bloomfield Hills?

Vaughn is easily the most expensive street in metro Detroit. It almost certainly has the highest concentration of wealth and celebrity in the region.

Some of the estates are hidden, but it's a nice drive from Lone Pine to Long Lake Roads.

In nearby Bloomfield Township, Echo Road and Kirkway are very rustic and beautiful drives, with many interesting estates (though, again, some are hidden).

Gannon

Post Number: 14839
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I almost ran over Isaiah Thomas on Vaughn Road one fall twilight...he was jogging in the street.

I had just left Linda Taubman's house...she had a nice place.

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 230
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I second West Canfield between 2nd and 3rd streets.

ALSO

Muirland street between McNichols and Seven Mile in the University District

Virginia Park between Woodward and Lodge Freeway

Sturtevant Street from Dexter to Livernois in Russell Woods

Hamilton/and Pontchartrain in the Detroit Golf Club Estates (Between McNichols & 7 Mile)

Avery and Commonwealth streets between Grand River and I-94 in Woodbridge

Arden Park and East Boston between Woodward and Oakland in the East Boston-Arden Park Historical District

Pennington and San Juan Streets between McNichols & 7 Mile in the Bagley Community

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DUH. Heidelberg.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 73
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall, I know that crib at Outer Dr & Chandler Pk -- what an odd place, eh? There is a simular home at Cadieux & Chandler Pk too. My buddy lives across from the one that you mentioned -- he says that it is stucco and that is why its always in repair mode.

The Barham houses are interesting too. He makes some good points about what one might call "homemade homes" -- we have a lot of them on the eastside. Almost like little cottages.

Indian Village has some great homes.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6484
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm partial to Virginia Park, because it was near my old neighborhood. There is a lot in the central part of the city that often gets overlooked.

Gistok

Post Number: 7577
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have to agree with East_detroit... on Outer Drive.... there is no street in the city of Detroit that has more houses on it than Outer Drive... and the majority are stately brick homes.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7621
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Woods, Sherwood Forest, and the homes designed by Frank Lloyd Wright in Detroit and suburbs.

jjaba.

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2969
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Ewald Circle near Davison. That was a beautiful street at one time.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 7624
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know it, jjaba lived there, on Ewald Circle at Petoskey. He'd walk to Dexter to catch The Dexter bus down to Wayne.

jjaba.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 355
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice to hear from jjaba, and nice to hear him still in the third person.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 743
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having been only a westside Detroit grandkid, Pierson St had a mix of houses that ranged from Rosedale Park like to your typical suburban ranch, Yet from my memories Outer DR & Rosedale Park get my vote. Old REDFORD also had the mix, shacks with sattelite dishes to big old nice homes on the same street.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 209
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Palmer Woods, Wellesley Rd. between Woodward and Seven Mile, and at Seven Mile turn right and look at the Frank Lloyd Wright being restored on Seven Mile. Tudor homes from 5000 sq. feet to near 30,000 square feet. Villa style and Georgian Colonials. Better yet come to our home tour on Sunday. check out the web site for a overview.
and a great picture of the FLW house.

http://palmerwoods.org/home-to ur/tour

Dianeinaustin
Username: Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 128
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 1:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon,

I was trying to find those houses the other day on Google Maps. No luck. Used to drive thru in the 70's.

Does anyone know what street they are on?

"Then, for fun, the wee-person's sub-subdivision off of Grand River near Southfield...someone's gotta have that precisely posited on a GoogleMap?!!"

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2763
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in that area in the 70s and am trying to figure out what that place is. Wee-person's-subdivision is not ringing any bells. ????

Jonesy
Username: Jonesy

Post Number: 615
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heidelberg

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1936
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sherwood Forest and Lakeshore Drive.

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 129
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is a group of little houses that are built on both sides of a long driveway. A bit like a cul-de-sac except CDS are wide and short. You turned into them off a regular street. I think there may have been around 10 or so of them. Like being in a tiny village.

Catch22
Username: Catch22

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this the wee-person subdivision?

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl =en&ie=UTF8&ll=42.403711,-83.2 13716&spn=0.001307,0.002414&t= h&z=19

Oakfield, north of Fenkell. As a telephone installer, I worked in most of these at one time or another. Cute little neighborhood.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1058
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This it?

Catch22
Username: Catch22

Post Number: 13
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another view, from MS Live Maps.

http://maps.live.com/default.a spx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=r20jhq8 1yyqb&style=b&lvl=2&tilt=-90&d ir=0&alt=-1000&scene=5632303&p hx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 130
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Catch22,
Yes that's them. Thanks for finding them. Next time I'm in Detroit I will head over there with a camera.

Thanks

Dianeinaustin

Post Number: 131
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to you too Bearinabox. Our postings crossed. What neighborhood is this?

Turkeycall

Post Number: 89
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rj_spangler,
I knew there was another house just like the one at Whittier/Chandler/Outer Drive. I just couldn't place it.

I wish I had a dollar for every time I passed those two houses on my way from home on Farmbrook to church and school at Chatsworth and Outer Drive and back.

Gannon

Post Number: 14842
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love this forum.

That be them.

Thanks!

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DianeinAustin, the neighborhood is called Crary-St. Mary's, bounded by Southfield and Greenfield to the west and east, and Grand River and Six Mile to the south and north.

Gistok

Post Number: 7579
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Turkeycall,

Isn't there a 3rd house (not as large or fancy as the other 2) that is in that genre... it's on Marseilles between Chandler Park Dr. and Southampton on the east side of the street (closer to Chandler). It doesn't have the curved appeal of the other two, but it is white stucco, with a flat roof and IIRC with an attached garage.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.