Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Which building would you buy with your millions? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1558
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With some co-workers and I entering an office pool for the Mega Millions jackpot tonight, talk of course turned to how you would spend your millions. Of course we aren't gonna win, but in times like these, who DOESN'T want to daydream, eh?

Which building would you buy and save if you struck it lucky? I'd buy the Free Press Building at 321 W. Lafayette. Throw a record shop (who cares if you lose money if you're loaded, right?) and a restaurant in the ground floors. Turn the lower floors into residential (who cares if you don't sell or rent them all) for artists or creative types and live in the top two floors of the tower.
How about you? The Lafayette Bldg. needs love. The David Stott Tower is for sale. The Whitney? What would you buy if you had the millions?

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 518
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The GAR building, probably cheap to buy but expensive to restore.

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 371
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of Capitol Park.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1559
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All of it? haha
You'd have to hit TWO jackpots to do that AND renovate the Farwell, Cap. Sq. Bldg., et al. I really love the Griswold Building and the Farwell, though. They're gems.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 91
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCS!

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 354
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCS and, if it were for sale, historic Fort Wayne

(Message edited by Crystal on December 02, 2008)

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1560
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with MCS is that the jackpot is only $128 million ($84.7 million if you take the cash up front). You'd need tens of millions more to do anything with it.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1057
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to restore one of the old downtown movie palaces and show movies in it. I wonder if anyone would come.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1870
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd take on some of the abandoned apartment buildings out in the neighborhoods. Restore the likes of the Saint Rita. Spread some of that money outside of downtown. If I had to choose something downtown, I'd go after the Book Tower. I'd turn it into apartments and some office space if I had enough scratch. If not, I'd take on the National Theater and turn it into theater that showed Main Art-style movies. If I could choose outside of the CBD but still inside what most people consider downtown, Cass Tech.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3975
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lee Plaza.

Dan
Username: Dan

Post Number: 1588
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The National Theater and/or the Metropolitan Building.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 15
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd invest in repairing the Detroit Club and making it a viable operation. I'd also like to restore the Western YMCA to the gem and community resource it once was, instead of the rotting hulk it is currently.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 743
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My old street on Novara.

Fix it into the thriving neighborhood that I remember

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 57
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy the National theater on Monroe and run it as a repertory movie house and a concert hall. Then, I would refurbish and re-open the Western YMCA. I would also hire Bearinabox and Hubbardfarmer as well-paid advisors.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 16
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melocoton: Where can I send my resume?! :-)

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 755
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How is the Detroit Club not a viable operation?

Furnitureguy
Username: Furnitureguy

Post Number: 72
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would have to be either the book tower or the detroit boat club!

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 764
Posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisher Building,

Complete the original plan!

And name it The Fisher Center.

(313)

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1028
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent idea Detroit313!

I would purchase my favorite homes in Indian Village and Boston-Edison. Renovate them and move between houses whenever I so pleased. Of course, my friends could live in them too!

I would also purchase the aquarium and, once again, make it available to the public. Does anyone know what happened to the eel?

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 53
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd buy the michigan theater parking structure and turn it back into a theater.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3976
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit313 just gave me an idea.

Purchase the Book Tower & complete it's never-built 81-story brother.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 1627
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd buy my whole block in Hamtramck, then renovate it to glories it has never seen!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 8291
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the UA theater

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2191
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'd track Higgins down... introduce him to a can of fix-a-flat, an a angry billygoat, a trash bag and a full can of starter fluid.

Then, I'd buy all the buildings on Capital Park, rip out the concrete, keep the ginkgo trees, hire SuperGay to consult on creating a gayborhood.

Hire two firebreathers, a juggler of chainsaws, one mime, and a troupe of sexy Chinese contortionists to live in the Farwell and perform nightly in the Park.

Rooms222
Username: Rooms222

Post Number: 152
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CPA building

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MCS, or if I had to do it downtown, the Book Building or the David Whitney building.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 149
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy the Brewster towers.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 659
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always had a fascination with the Broderick Tower. Unique art on the side of the building. GREAT location. I'd convert the upper floors to a penthouse to live in, then market the rest of the building as office/retail/high end apartments. I'd then take the DJ business (Frozen Entertainment) I have as a hobby, and devote the bulk of my time promoting it into a large entertainment company. Naturally, I'd make the Broderick my global headquarters. Once business started booming, Frozen Entertainment LLC would be come Frozen Entertainment Inc and purchase/restore the National Theater, turning it into a multi function facility (like the Fox). Of course in order to make my dreams work, I probably need to win one of those $300 million jackpots :-(

Gencinjay
Username: Gencinjay

Post Number: 80
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mama stole my answer! I would absolutely buy the GAR. Every day I drive by that building thinking, "if only..."

Mcwalbucksnfitch
Username: Mcwalbucksnfitch

Post Number: 82
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I couldn't buy and renovate MCS, I would invest as much capital as possible into attracting high-end retail to upper Washington and Woodward.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 42
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy Chin Tiki and make it a badass club again.
Maybe I'll buy Eminem, too, and make him battle on open mic nights.

Savorynotsweet
Username: Savorynotsweet

Post Number: 18
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The McGregor Library on Woodward in Highland Park. My winnings are huge, so I restore and upgrade the structure, including an extensive wireless network and computer lab. Citizens of Highland Park are given back a jewel of a library and the technology to bridge the digital divide. Our programs are so cutting edge we pass by Library 2.0 and we become Library 3.0.

But the "new McGregor" library isn't completely public. We come up with new models for subscription libraries ala Ben Franklin's Library Company. The building restoration is so fantastic that we are able to not only use parts of the library for community affairs, but also private functions (library weddings are surprisingly popular, though we'd have to compete with Strohm Hall at the main branch of the DPL which has similar ambience and better location). The library also serves as my personal clubhouse. Did I mention the hidden fire pole connecting my office on the top floor to the lobby below?

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 9338
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd buy the Wayne State bookstore, tear it down, and rebuild Z's Place.

Just kidding. But I miss the gumbo.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 45
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy the Statler lot and rebuild the Hotel. It would take hundreds of millions of dollars, but I'm sure my DYES family would help with the bill!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1690
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would invest in our police force, fire dept and public schools, so that the next generation can rebuild and restore

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 665
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ good call, but that will take billion$

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Id buy the fox and move in w my belongings, screw u guys. = )

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 249
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vanity Ballroom and my old house just up the block from it, maybe build some houses in between to replace the 10 that are no longer in existence.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 765
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Raptor56-

Great Idea. I bet a 3 to 8 million dollar penthouse at the top would command some amazing views!

<313>

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 865
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit Boat Club!

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 3602
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'd buy the Wayne State bookstore, tear it down, and rebuild Z's Place. "

cheers!

Warrenite84
Username: Warrenite84

Post Number: 444
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd first send a bunch to charities and family, Next, buy and restore the Book Tower and have special low rental rates to out of town/state businesses. Upper floors rental/owned residential, two floors for me, with the top floor dining/ observation deck.

2nd choice, do the same with the Stott bldg.

Oldestuff
Username: Oldestuff

Post Number: 98
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CPA Building - like a miniature Flat Iron Bldg.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2477
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Lawyers Building. Then I would put up a big electric sign on the roof that you could see for 25 miles, even twice as a large as the sign on the Music Hall, and it would say:
1-800-CallRok

Of course, I would have to come out of retirement, take the Michigan Bar again, buy a police/ambulance scanner, and switch allegiances and become a plaintiffs' attorney.
TOO much, I will buy the Murphy Building instead,and reopen the London Chop House.

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 14
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would buy the GAR building and put a real castle gate on the Adams Street side with a automatic garage door controller, and drive the Batmobile out and about at 3AM and patrol the City all night. I would also have the awesomost parties, even better than the BoHaus, the DPD anti-fun swat team would hate me.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 885
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd buy Tiger Stadium. I'd have free batting & fielding practice on Tiger game days to anyone who made a donation of a food item or sports equipment. The other days it would cost $5 to join the daily scrub game. Anyone who hits a homer into the the Slow's Barbeque Pit in deep right center gets a free season's pass.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 46
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On second thought I would buy the Metropolitan and turn it into a multi-use property!

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd buy a million shares of GM or Ford, put myself on the board then go to Washington and tell the whores on capital hill that I won't allow them to pimp out my industry.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 465
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Book Tower.

However, as an alternative I'd buy all of the bungalow section of Highland Park, including the streets, gate it, and turn it into a coop.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 324
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ford Auditorium

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 49
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take back my first suggestion. I would put my lottery money into the Brewster Wheeler Center. In the old building, I'd build a beautiful old museum honoring Joe Louis, as well as Detroit's "Unsung Heroes of Sport" (that used to be a real award they gave out back in the day). With the rest of my money, I'd build the most high-tech sports and recreation center any city in America had ever seen. I would hire as many ex-college and professional athletes as possible to coach, manage and inspire. In ten years, we'd have a Deeetroit Olympic team, and the healthiest kids in the union :-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 744
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The old fire house on Mich/Livernois [ENGINE 22?] Casa de Espana. That BUILDING.I NEED A BIGGER GARAGE.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.