Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Building History Questions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 52
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hello Again Everyone-

I'm in the middle of a research paper, and I'm trying to determine if the buildings housing these businesses were abandoned or adaptively reused at some point during their history.

Cyprus Taverna
Russell Street Deli
Golden Fleece
Señor López Taqueria
Atlas Global Bistro
Good Girls Go To Paris Crêpes
Pollo Chapin
El Barzón
Traffic Jam and Snug
Mexicantown Bakery

I haven't been able to get a hold of staff at these places. Thanks in advance for any help.

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you're up in the middle of the night writing a paper on a subject you don't know much about, but it's gotta be done by noon. Right?

Could you define "abandoned" or "adaptively reused" for me. Once a restuarant is closed, does it immediately become abandoned? Or do the windows have to be blow out, the pipes frozen, to qualify as "abandoned"?

Does "adaptive reuse" mean switching food styles? Or does it have to do with changing a gas station into a coffee house?

Also, if you want folks to do some of your research for you, it would be a good idea to list the addresses of the establishments. If folks have old City Directories, they could look things up if they had the address.

Vandykenjefferson
Username: Vandykenjefferson

Post Number: 55
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes it is for a school project, Gnome. It's not due today, actually, it's due in two weeks. I know quite a bit about adaptive reuse, actually. I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I've taken a class on historic preservation and a class on adaptive reuse. I've already looked up/called 300 some businesses - I just haven't been able to find anything online saying anything either way, and/or, when I've called the owner/manager hasn't known the building history. I'm using DYES more out of desperation then out of laziness.

I guess by abandoned was looking more at ownership then the physical state of the building. I meant without an owner - no one is paying taxes on it. While frozen pipes and blown out windows may be signs of abandonment, many abandoned buildings don't have those staples, and conversely, I'm sure many owner, tax-paying properties have a blown out window or two.

By adaptive reuse I meant that the physical design of the building has been altered to allow a NEW use. i.e. a a doctor's office into a restaurant, or a bowling alley into a bookshop. An Italian restaurant into a Greek restaurant would not be an example.

Here are the addresses.

Cyprus Taverna - 579 Monroe St.,
Russell Street Deli - 2465 Russell St.,
Golden Fleece - 525 Monroe St.,
Señor López Taqueria - 7144 Michigan Ave.,
Atlas Global Bistro - 3111 Woodward Ave.,
Traffic Jam and Snug - 511 W. Canfield St.,
Mexicantown Bakery - 4300 W. Vernor Hwy.,
Good Girls Go To Paris Crêpes 2 John R St.
Pollo Chapin - 2054 Junction St.
El Barzón - 3710 Junction Rd.

Thanks for the post, Gnome

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 756
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since you have the addresses of each place, I would suggest going to each one and asking them.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 211
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Traffic Jam and Snug owners, would be more than happy to tell you about the building. Just call, then stop in for lunch or just a glass of their great beer.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VDnJ - what are you majoring in? Sounds like some interesting classes you've taken. I'm currently getting my grad degree in urban anthropology at Wayne State and think a class on adaptive reuse of buildings would be fascinating.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 433
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the 1928 Polk Directory

579 Monroe was the Panellenon Cafe

2465 Russell was a Fruit Market, M Fisher and Son Wholesale Fruits.

525 Monroe was a Michael Pappas, soft drinks (probably once a bar, Prohibition)

7144 Michigan - No listing

511 Canfield W R. L. Deppman Company Heating Appliances

4300 West Vernor Louis Shalweet Groceries and Meats

2 John R -no such address. starts at 15

2054 and 3710 Junction, a residence and not existing.

You may have to go to DPL for later versions.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3825
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh. Yeah. Right. You couldn't get ahold of anybody. Go to the freakin' Burton collection and look through the old city directories, you lazy sod.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 839
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vandykenjefferson, have you visited the Burton Library at the DPL Main Library? If not, I suggest that you stop in and look in the old City Directories. Start with 1920/21, the year that our address numbering changed. That volume will have both the old and new addresses for each of these buildings.

For example: look up "579 Monroe" and you should find what business was at that address in 1920. Then look (again, for example) in the 1910 volume for the pre-1920 address. Then, 1900. As you go back, the earliest listing will be the first use of that building.

I should warn you, however, that such research can become quite time-consuming as you careen from one tangent/topic to another. :-)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2194
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Altas bistro is in the old Addison Hotel. IIRC the place is an Albert Kahn creation built in 1903-05. you can google "Addison Hotel" detroit and look in "books" under the drop down menu on the right.

You need to invest in some shoe leather. The Cyprus has/had a bunch of photos of Greektown thru the years. Traffic Jam has newspaper clippings all over the walls.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 2281
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You honestly could not have tried hard if you couldn't get ahold of someone about the Atlas Building. They guy who renovated it is around there all the time and Atlas is open from like 11 to 11 pretty much every day. Or maybe you did try hard but you didn't try right? No offense.

Oslo and the creperie are in the building owned by Sophie, I am sure either business can put you in touch with her. Her office is in that building.

You can call Joel at the Addison building and he could tell you all about the restoration. Or you could google "addison apartments detroit" and get the info you need:
http://www.addisonapartments.c om/

I think the suggestion to drive to each place and ask for building owner/landlord contact info is a sound one.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.