Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » High end restaurants and groceries in the city « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Williamsfamilyfungi
Username: Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mushroom farm is starting to look to Detroit and an outlet for marketing. I figured you all would know best the places that might be interested in buying gourmet mushrooms.

So far I'm thinking:
Cass Cafe
Avalon
Mercury Bar
Woodbridge Pub
'Calandestine Co-op' off Trumbull

I must be missing many more.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 1871
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other possibilities would be Zaccaros, Eastern Market, Ephs.

Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 26
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to do Eastern Market but they make it very hard for the little guy. The way they have the rules set up you need to be pretty big time to sell your stuff there.

To start with a stall costs 60 bucks for the day. Plus you need over a million dollars in insurance coverage: workmans comp, health, auto. It's fricken ridiculous.

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1721
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about one of the shops in the market, rather than the market itself? Also, the two "Mike's Fresh" stores, Gratiot and Livernois.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 1476
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$60 a day and a million dollars in insurance is inexpensive *if* you're planning on committing to the three to six months plus you're going to need to build a following - are you talking to the right people? I also think EM is a good idea because many chefs and a lot of the places you want to get in source stuff from there and you need to build name recognition for your 'shrooms.

It's almost all little guys there except for the trees - I was just there last week. Urban Grounds is what, one or two people in a nifty cart?

Anyway, I'd also suggest some suburban places on top of the fine list above such as Papa Joes and Nino Salvaggio, if you're talking the Detroit region. Also, I've seen Hollywood Market carry local stuff.

Pkbroch
Username: Pkbroch

Post Number: 210
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Holiday Market in Royal Oak carries local grown produce. They also have catering, high end, with unusual menus.

For spring summer Royal Oak Farmers has great weekend foot traffic and lots of Detroiters shop there and also small unique restaurant owners. Could be a good place for restaurant contacts.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 43
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might be interested in the summer Grosse Pointe Park farmers market before diving into Eastern Market.
Westborn Market in Dearborn and Ferndale/Royal Oak.
Honeybee Supermercado and E&L Mercado in Southwest Detroit also might be interested in homegrown/organic produce. Or the Springwells store next to Avalon on Willis.
The East Warren Farmers Market is also open during the summmer--here's their facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/home.p hp#/group.php?gid=17632914787

There is also a farmers market at Wayne State on Wednesdays when it gets warm again.
Hope this helps!

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 431
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might also consider the Fresh Farms market on Fisher in GPC.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You might also consider the Fresh Farms market on Fisher in GPC.

Parkguy
Username: Parkguy

Post Number: 348
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grandmont-Rosedale has a farmer's market on Thursdays from May to October. www.grdc.org

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 776
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know The Whitney is always interested in using local produce and seasonal goods.

Urbanoutdoors
Username: Urbanoutdoors

Post Number: 1124
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also mudgie's, and Slows.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2039
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aldi, Meijer, Super Walmart

Olive Garden, Applebees.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 8003
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES Williamsfamilyfungi,

Try to sell your mushrooms at Zacarro's market. Folks out there would like it.

Jamesg
Username: Jamesg

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Opus One
The Whitney
Andiamo's
Coach
Seldom Blues
Is the Rattlesnake still open?

Williamsfamilyfungi

Post Number: 27
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone, you have saved me a lot of time searching these places out. Hopefully one day soon you will all see Michigan Mushrooms LLC packages in super walmart etc.. But until then these places look pretty good.

Jamesg
Username: Jamesg

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.farmsreach.com/inde x.html
http://www.linkedin.com/in/lan aholmes

Lana Holmes’s Summary
An advocate and leader in green/sustainable businesses; Lana has lived in an all solar, green home for the previous four years and is one of the first in California to plant an experimental truffle field on the 110 acre farm in southern Mendocino County.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.