Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Highland Park Pictures « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Toeknowknee
Username: Toeknowknee

Post Number: 21
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone have pictures of Highland Park they wouldn't mind posting? I am doing a project on what HP has to offer its adolescents and young adults but I need to start off with a strong history and current context segment.

I am especially trying to find historical pictures and pictures, past or present, of celebrations or demonstrations...people in the streets...parades, protests, etc...in petticoats or hoodies. Aerial pictures would be nice too.

It seems difficult to find a lot of photo material because there are many "Highland Parks" in the US and a lot of materials that are relevant to HP are cited incorrectly as being Detroit, etc. Obviously the HP library is no help as well being closed and all. I know this group is like a bottomless well of knowledge so anything you can share would be appreciated.

PS I have lots of pictures of manly men with one foot propped on a Model T, haha.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3826
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anybody have any of the material I need to finish my assignment at my school/workplace/home? I'd really love to do the work it takes to finish my job/assignment/project, but I am unwilling to actually go out and do it. The next best thing to that would be YOU doing it FOR ME. Thanks in advance for your help; please hurry; I'm on a deadline!

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2114
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Early Detroit Images from the Burton Historical Collection has 32 old photos with the term Highland Park in the description, but not all of them have been digitized and as a result their image is not returned in the on-line database of their collection. Here are the search results. Those that are not on-line can be viewed at the Burton Collection at the main Detroit Library. Note that you will have to obtain permission to reproduce these images.

Old aerial photos can be viewed on-line from WSU's DTE Aerial Photo Collection web site.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 446
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, you forgot the smiley face that you usually put after your semi-rude comments. :-)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3827
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. You noticed! :-)

Actually that one was intended to be fully rude. ;)

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure if these will help. maybe one of the active organizations may have photos.

http://cityofhighlandpark.us/
http://www.hpfolks.com/
http://www.highlandparkcity.us /

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 432
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd..I have noticed your consistent criticism of those who ask for help with their projects. And I understand your point, that people should do their own work. But on the other hand, this is a forum where lots of people ask for help with lots of things. I don't think it is so terrible for someone to ask for help if they are not sure where to begin to look.

Additionally, perhaps the information offered here will be useful to others. As a matter of fact, my mother and father were born in Highland Park, but my mother is deceased and my father doesn't remember a lot (he is 92 years old). Seeing some of the historical pictures or information that may be posted here in response to the query.

I think everyone who reads DetroitYes now knows that these types of requests aggravate you. It isn't necessary to say it over and over again.

Toeknowknee: Good luck with your project.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 103
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I get a big kick out of nerds comments. Adds to the detroityes experience. I guess if nerds comments arent appreciated they too could be ignored. Personally I got a big laugh out of it.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3829
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I criticize people often, it's because I'm not afraid to do my own work. In fact, I went to Burton and did some research today. It was great. They've organized their old city directories a lot better than in the past. They had a new trainee today who was very helpful. It was an enjoyable experience, and I was in and out really quickly. It didn't take too much time.

I do criticize people who 1) seem to be making this their first stop, 2) are asking for anonymous people to provide data that should be from a primary source, or 3) aren't asking where to look but for the information itself.

Have you noticed that when people ask WHERE TO LOOK THIS STUFF UP that I'm very helpful? Have you noticed that I recommend not just old Polk directories but point out the Bresser's guides, which are in a different part of the main library? Have you noticed that I often provide information (or a good guess) when people ask for it and don't seem to be casting about for help with their homework? My, my, my, Blueidone. I guess you done missed all THAT stuff, huh?

In my job, I work with a fair amount of students, and they do need to be corrected about what is GOOD RESEARCH (primary sources, burning up shoe leather to interview people, using libraries and getting advice from librarians) and what is BAD RESEARCH (secondary sources, plagiarism, lazy fact-gathering, using forums for anything other than background). I'm hoping to call some lazy students out and shame them into doing the work they should be doing. In the end, if they take my advice and do the research, their grades will probably be better anyway.

Who cares if somebody's call for assistance with homework happens to entertain you? Who cares if people think my manners are bad? Who cares about any of that shit, when you compare it to students who are lazy, teachers who aren't strict, and diplomas that aren't worth the paper they're printed on? Oh, geez, I'd hate to damage their self-esteem over something as piddling as THEM DOING THE FREAKIN' WORK THEY'RE SUPPOSED TO BE DOING!

So, I'll continue to post my criticisms, thankyouverymuch. Have a nice day, Blueidone. :-)

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 434
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's plenty of people that make it a habit of using this board as their own personal research tool. I don't mind helping out when I can, one never knows when you may be the one that needs the help. But those that abuse the generosity of those here really bothers me. I mostly just don't respond, even if I happen to know the answer.

And there's more than a few pictures of HP around if one cares to do the sifting and digging of the various Highland Parks around.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 104
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also say they move to orlando florida and need to do the same kinda research, at least they will know how to approach it. I havent seen an "orlandoyes" web link anywhere, and this forum is kind of unique in that people do tend to be helpful and pull together and share important and entertaining info. give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and adios MF'er....LOL

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 22
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with you Detroitnerd that I should have also used the words "or where I can find..." but I actually thought people might have personal photos they wouldn't mind sharing. I consider personal photos a form of primary research as well as public history even if you do not consider anonymous people to be scholarly sources. I have seen people post personal pictures on other threads as well so I didn't think I was asking something unusual. My thought was that the photos sitting in someone's dusty album might be more telling of HP's richness than a dozen more photos of Woodward, up close photos of Model T cars, and the Crystal Palace.

I suppose I should have also said that I have interviewed employees and directors at the Ruth Ellis Center, the Boys and Girls Club, Michigan Works!, HP DevCo, and the Highland Park Health Clinic. I attended the last city council workshop meeting, saw a viewing of The Water Front where the associate producer held Q&A, surveyed adolescents and young adults after high school let out one day, and had lunch at Nandi's Knowledge Cafe today while discussing all of the events and services the owners provide for the community. I am probably heading to the Cafe's poetry night tonight and I still have a meeting with the high school counselor and a tour of Spectrum Juvenile Justice Services to take. I have researched The Cities of Promise initiative and the Safe Route to Schools program as well as made sure that I am clear about the difference between receivership and having an appointed emergency financial manager.

I agree that I have more work to do and that even when I am done I will not have covered every important piece of Highland Park's story, but I am attempting to engage with and respect the community and produce a solid presentation for my classmates.

Not every student creates entire reports from wikipedia and this forum was not my first stop.

I do often search these archives when I have projects and that is because there are usually helpful insights that can help guide me somewhere I had not previously known about. In this case I thought rather than be longwinded and writing about what I had already done I would just ask the question I came here to ask but perhaps next time I will write a brief day to day summary of my initial research methods and sources in order to justify my request.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3837
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The more you know ... :-)

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1732
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Toe! See nerd, this time you got your panties in a wad for nothing.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1733
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ps: I use the smiley face to show that I'm smiling. Is it now to be used for mean-spirited sarcasm as well? I'm corn-fused.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3840
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, Kath, sweet of you to comment on my panties, but let's look at the whole shootin' works.

I usually satirize people whose motives I question.

My long, somewhat angry rant (which I take to be the "bunching" you refer to) was directed at somebody else, in defense of my satire.

And, what's more, the discussion got us all the goods: A detailed explanation of what the real deal is.

As for the smiley face, I use it for many reasons: To leaven, to smirk, and to smile.

Right now, though, I'm smiling. :-)

Bcscott
Username: Bcscott

Post Number: 98
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think nerd spends all day just waiting for posts like this. I got the exact same reply when I asked a question about Detroit's contribution to WWII. Doesn't bother me though, if that's what makes you happy then have at it.

As far as HP pictures I snapped a few of the Model T plant on Manchester (1911-1927) last Summer. This was the plant after the one on Piquette but before the move to the Rouge complex. Also the plant where the continuously moving assembly line was perfected.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3842
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'm happy, brother. Never you mind. :-)

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 16
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

obvioustroll is obvious

Townonenorth

Post Number: 438
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most personal photos (in my experience) are of back steps, interiors of houses, etc. Not many of street views, that sort of thing. Most people are interested in picturing the people involved.

That being said, the below link will take you to the Virtual Motor City site, where 81 photos reside. I don't know if you have looked at these or not.

Virtual Motor City

Another source of street views is the Detroit Transit History site below. You'll have to search their listings for HP views though.

http://www.detroittransithistory.info/
The photo below is from this site:
http://www.davesrailpix.com/dsr/dsr.htm

(Message edited by townonenorth on December 05, 2008)

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3844
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, yeah, right. PWNED by the 16-post poster. Unless socketroll is a socket. :-)

Lugotown

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toeknowknee- many of the people you encounter at the hp events and meetings are life long highland parkers. i remember coming across a thread on here about some swimming pool and a few people were re-living their memories from when they lived in hp, a few photos were posted. from their description and the tales of my neighbors, it was a wonderful place. their details and stories are unrecognizable today. although, they reminded me that it is still a great place to live. i agree, although it needs a lot of help and money as you'll see from looking around.

anyway, good luck with your project, would love to see what you finish up with.

Toeknowknee

Post Number: 24
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow that transit history site is really great. I bit overwhelming because they have everything but carrier pigeons featured but a great resource nonetheless. Thanks.

Townonenorth

Post Number: 445
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tried to include a link in my previous post about where the above photo should be credited to. The site is :

http://www.davesrailpix.com/ds r/dsr.htm

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3845
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mikeg: I didn't know that Burton had any digital access to their prints. I usually go through their prints & media card files and have them bring up the boxes from the sub-basement. In fact, I'm going to hazard a guess that that is a much more complete (if time-consuming) search, because lots of prints I KNOW they have aren't visible on that U-M search. Not all of them are great, but on occasion you'll find something so amazing it's worth having the photo reproduced for use. (When I last did it, I got the institutional rate and it was still quite expensive, around $60 to have a photographer shoot a copy analog-style, and have permission. Maybe it has changed since then.)

Townonenorth

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

60+ dollars is what the Manning Brothers (Chuck Forbes) charge for their photos, just for a copy. Permission is extra. But what they have there is completely amazing. Seriously.

Just a small portion is available as of now,hard copies only, out of a supposed 250,000 large negative images. Make a trip there just to see what's available for Highland Park.

Lugotown

Post Number: 27
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would love to see their collection. thanks for the info. i saw in something online about them that they moved to highland park in 1946.

what does "permission is extra" mean?

Townonenorth

Post Number: 449
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 3:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well you can get a photo from them. Publication rights,are a different story.That's over and above the price of the picture. Here's a link to the stat sheet on a website.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3739 079/Detroit-Historical-Photo-C ollection-of-The-Manning-Broth ers

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.