Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Hollywood Demolitions « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 151
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I caught a commercial for The Dark Knight on the tube this evening, one of the clips shows a building being blown-up. I recalled back to the movie, this is the scene where the Joker blows up a hospital. The new Batman series uses Chicago as a backdrop for Gotham City and actually blew up an old candy factory for this amazing scene.

http://cbs5.com/national/Implo sion.Chicago.Batman.2.288458.h tml

It got me to thinking, could Detroit/Michigan use this form of demolition as a method of killing two birds with one stone?

Just imagine next summers big blockbuster action movie with Vin Diesel, The Rock, Steven Segal, Van Damn, the Terminator, a couple of Aliens, and Chris Rock (for comical relief). With a myriad of explosions all starring Detroit's biggest and blighted buildings being removed for the sake of popcorn.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 438
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i would not go to those movies...

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 106
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How bout they come and help rebuild/restore and use the new beautiful backdrop in filming. Im always amazed at the amount of money they spend building street facades only to demo them after....

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 561
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not just drop an atomic bomb on us, Izzy? That would make a great movie!

Wolverine
Username: Wolverine

Post Number: 649
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That office building in Chicago was already slated for demolition. The Brachs candy factory behind it (which wasn't blown up) has been on the market for a couple of years now, and it's in really bad shape for a recent abandonment. Each floor is a gooey mess of corn syrup.

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 938
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If they came to Flint and blew up Genesee Towers, I would definitely pay to see that, and buy the DVD too, even if it's a crappy movie. (They better be damned careful to leave the Mott Foundation building untouched however)

Other than that, some of the countless abandoned buildings with no noteworthy history perhaps, but no matter how bad they get, I would never accept such an end for buildings such as the MCS or United Artists, or similar abandoned buildings.

(Message edited by scottr on December 04, 2008)

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Post Number: 152
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why not just drop an atomic bomb on us, Izzy? That would make a great movie!"

Thats a little extreme.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 779
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So is the idea that we should whore ourselves out for a one time event that will further destroy Detroit, Isn't? Even when those buildings are empty they are still there. If you demo them all we will be left with is empty lots, and maybe some crappy sad excuse for architecture in the future. I would rather take my chances and leave them alone in hopes that one day they will be restored.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.