Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Any newspaper collectors here? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Youdummy
Username: Youdummy

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I ask is this: We've been doing some renovations to our house that I've lived in for the last 43 years. When replacing the windows, we found several sections of December 1957 issues on The Detroit Times wedged in the frames. I'm sure the papers are worthless, but have some value to me, as I found it fascinating I have been living with these things for decades without knowing about them. They are in fairly poor shape, but I'd like to preserve a few clippings if I can, and frame them in the house. The problem I'm having is they have been folded so tight for so long, it's difficult to open them without tearing them. I'm wondering if there's something I can do to prevent this. Anyone have any ideas or know anyone in that field that may be able to help? If I'm able to at all, I'll scan what I can if there's any interest. Hope this isn't too far off topic.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3941
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fascinating! No suggestions, sorry to say, hopefully others will jump in.

Last Spring, I cut plywood to shape to put over the tops of my kitchen cabinets. This left a hollow space between the top of the cabinet and the plywood due to the moldings. Couldn't resist it, I put copies of the local papers for a couple of days in the hollow spots before screwing down the plywood. Some day, 40 years from now, whoever owns our house and decides to rip out the 'old' cabinets is in for a treat!

Rid0617
Username: Rid0617

Post Number: 360
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not saying this will work but it did for me. I come across some old newspapers from the 30s in the same shape. Wanted to read about the depression so I was determined. I took an old steam iron and sprayed a little steam at a time, several times with minutes in between. It did absorb enough moisture to straighten out without tearing. Now will this work twice, got me.

Youdummy

Post Number: 9
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, a steam iron was the first thing that came to mind when I found them, and in just the manner you suggested. I've also found a few sources recommending soaking newsprint in a mixture of milk of magnesia and club soda, but most of those had to do with newer clippings. I'm not sure the paper would survive the bath, but I have a piece that broke off that I may try that on. But I'm still open to any other suggestions if anyone has any.
Detroit Times Clipping

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3083
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2199
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's funny BigB.

Udummy, the milk of amnesia only works on soap operas or brand new newspaper clippings. It delays yellowing, I use to know why, but I've forgotten.

The steam thing is a good idea, or you could call down to the DIA and speak to their paper conservation department. They have several highly trained people who deal just with paper.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 92
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My goodness, a newspaper from prehistoric times (well, pre-EastsideAl times) when the Lions were actually good, and on their way to another championship. I'll bet no one at the time would've believed that it would be the last one for over 50 years (and counting...).

Ray1936

Post Number: 3942
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, 23. That's a goodie. :-)

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 357
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We were stripping the oak and redoing a house on Holden, right behind motown, a few years ago. We found an old Detroit Times behind the toilet in the freshly demo'd bath. The first World War disturbances were in place and the then current pope (Pious?) had just passed away. It was dated from 1914. It was in terrible shape, and unsalvageable. It was pretty cool to find it, however, and date the house.

Oh, and we found a few Indian Head pennies used as shims for the strike-plates for the doors.

In another house, on Cadillac Blvd. we found artifacts from a Davis house dating back to the thirties. Davis, if I'm correct, was the first black owner of an auto dealership. This was a home of his extended family. We found lots of pictures from Paradise Valley and Black Bottom, as well as daughters' pictures from Urban League and NAACP. It was kind of a glimpse into Black High Society (if you will), and really kind of fascinating.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3395
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever opened up the wall under one of those medicine cabinets with the razor blade drop-hole that dropped them into the wall?

Ray1936

Post Number: 3943
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, but I've dropped my share of razor blades through the slot years back.

Miketeevee
Username: Miketeevee

Post Number: 67
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. Found a whole bunch of old rusty razor blades when I opened up the bathroom of my 1930 Ferndale bungalow.

Larryinflorida
Username: Larryinflorida

Post Number: 3396
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just wondered.
Sort of a Wilkinson *whtang whtang* time capsule.

Rickinatlanta
Username: Rickinatlanta

Post Number: 213
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about looking at Microfilm of these old papers from the DPL?

Youdummy

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

How about looking at Microfilm of these old papers from the DPL?

Nah, not what I would like to do. I'd like to keep the actual paper that's been hidden my house for 50 years, not a copy.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 749
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This gave me an IDEA, Why waste fiberglass or foam on my 3 inch section I need to insulate in my garage use newspaper.But then again I don,t like mold.

Hamtragedy
Username: Hamtragedy

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've vacuumed up several thousand of those old razor blades. They have to go somewhere, usually right to the bottom plate of the wall, and then they stack up from there. Wear gloves!

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 49
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've got the original newspapers frome the "freep" and "news" that were printed during the 1967 Detroit riot. Anybody know what they might be worth?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.