Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Oh...The Humanity! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1201
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And we thought there were big crowds for Obama, when he visited Detroit.

Feast your eyes upon the throng that welcomed John Kennedy to Detroit, in 1960

Detroitchef
Username: Detroitchef

Post Number: 43
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's racist... (ducking)
Seriously, look at the businesses, the signs and the people.
Weird to look at the Obama turnout compared to this. Thanks for digging this up!

Rjk
Username: Rjk

Post Number: 1326
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know what kind of business the SAMS sign was advertising.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 761
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam's Cut Rate Drugs. Located I believe in the old Detroit Opera House.

Daddeeo
Username: Daddeeo

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They had a trick of blocking all traffic off at lunch time. You'd be stuck in the crowd whether you wanted to be there or not.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 242
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a photo of the crowd viewing the implosion of Hudson's?

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1205
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 7:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The landscape of downtown Detroit changed dramatically, and quickly...at least, in the mind of a seven year-old knucklehead from Mount Pleasant.

So much of what I gawked at, in 1965, was long gone by 1967

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 2478
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And not a bad shot of the old Gregory, Meyer and Thom building on Campus Martius. My uncle Bill Gregory told me it would take forever to finally tear that huge structure down, and he sure was right.
"Oh the Humanity"-a phrase now imbedded in American history as spoken by anguished announcer Herb Morrison describing the Hindenberg and the crowds when she went up ( actually, down) in flames in 1937.
Fine photo,Chuckjav. Was that photo taken when Kennedy flew in to Detroit for the big Labor Day celebration? And if memory serves me right, he was back again in October for a speech from the steps of the University of Michigan Mens'Union when he proposed the Peace Corp.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1207
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The_rock...with regard to chronology, I'm fairly certain that you are correct; the photograph comes to us from the good people at Wayne State University.

Eastsideal
Username: Eastsideal

Post Number: 98
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Democratic presidential candidates used to always kick off their campaigns with a Detroit Labor Day rally from the steps of City Hall.

Sam's Cut Rate was a discount department store (not a drug store - I think you're mixing it up with Paul's Cut Rate Drugs on Broadway) for clothing, toys, bedding, etc. At the time of this picture it was in the old Detroit Opera House building on Campus Martius. When that building was torn down in 1966, along with the rest of what was known as the Kern block (after the defunct Kern's department store at the northwest corner of the block), the store moved into a building on the east side of Randolph for several years before it closed.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 699
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you look close,

the sign right below SAMS explains what the acronym stands for. I can't quite read it, but maybe chuckyjav has a bigger pic.

Chuckjav

Post Number: 1220
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sam's Always Means Savings

(At least that's what my feeble mind remembers from 43 years ago)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.