Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Fridays' Detroit Free Press « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Switchmanjim
Username: Switchmanjim

Post Number: 7
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fridays' Detroit Free Press will devote it's entire front page in support of the loans to the Detroit automakers. They say it's the FIRST time an entire front page has been used to cover an important issue such as this. Good Work FREEP!

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should send a free copy to every politician in Washington. Kudos to the Freep, they're on the ball.

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 277
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They did.

http://freep.com/article/20081 204/OPINION01/812050321
quote:

Why we're sending this message
The Free Press is sending copies of this edition to every member of Congress.

We have chronicled the U.S. auto industry since its birth, as Detroit became the world's Motor City, as cars and trucks changed the American culture and landscape, as assembly line jobs gave rise to the American middle class. Our journalists have reported the automakers' triumphs and exposed their troubles. We know this industry better than anyone.

We also know that while a newspaper needs to inform, there are times when a newspaper needs to speak up for what's right.

We know what automakers and autoworkers mean to this nation. We know what will happen if one of the auto companies is allowed to collapse. We know because this industry has been our story since it started.

And we know that America needs this story to continue.

-- Paul Anger, editor

Mopardan
Username: Mopardan

Post Number: 19
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It was shown on MSNBC's "Morning Joe" this morning. Shelby is to make an appearance on there today, but I had to leave the house for work. It sounds like they were going to press him on "The Big Picture" that it goes beyond the UAW. In other words, all the other industries that would be affected. I wish I could've seen it, but will have to catch the video later on their site.

Johnnie_sue_bridges
Username: Johnnie_sue_bridges

Post Number: 14
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you, Detroit Free Press
Detroit needs a loud voice—one that Washington will hear. I cannot understand why they will unconditionally give others millions, and beat the auto industry to death for asking for a loan. Detroit is neither asking for freebees nor anything that us tax payers didn't give them in the first place (our hard earned tax dollars). Our auto industry is the backbone of the middleclass-working people. Thank you again!
God bless the Free Press and God bless Detroit
Johnnie Sue Bridges

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 403
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! I wandered downstairs to get my cup of coffee and a quick look at the paper. The front page stunned me. I was very pleased that they made this reporting effort. Kind of makes you wish for the old days when paper vendors would stand on corners shouting extra extra.

Good work, Free Press. I will keep this one in my files.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9742
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sold out at all three locations near my house.

Ocean2026
Username: Ocean2026

Post Number: 49
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope Detroit gets some help but can't help asking why a congressman in Alabama or Nevada etc care about the Detroit Free Press? If national polls are 61% against and their district doesn't include too many auto-related jobs ( every district has a car dealer but..) why would the DFP sway them?

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5788
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shelby was on Morning Joe, along with Stabenow.
She showed much restraint in not shoving him over the railing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21 134540/vp/28068331#28068331

Time magazine also has it as a cover story
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/28050801#28050801

(Message edited by lilpup on December 05, 2008)

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 450
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I'm not mistaken, there are several auto manufacturing plants in Alabama (foreign car companies). If the Big 3 go under, so will most of the automotive suppliers, which means the foreign car companies that build in the U.S. will have substantial increases in costs due to having to ship parts in from overseas. This is far-reaching Ocean. Not only that, it is critical that the U.S. maintain manufacturing facilities if there should be a time of war -- a country that does not manufacture anything themselves is truly in trouble come war time. This is a national problem. Hopefully, Alabama and Nevada care about Michigan because we are supposed to be the United States, not Each Individual State Looking Out for Only Themselves of America.

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 884
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciate what the Free Press did.

The Freep would do better in my book if they stopped advertising any foreign autos from today on and stuck strictly with American. Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.

WHAT YOU DRIVE, DRIVES AMERICA!

OUT OF A JOB YET? KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10597
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown_lady, many of the suppliers to the imports build only parts for those vehicles and not for both domestic and imports. The OEM's who build the machines might hurt but then Korea is just biting at the bit to play the OEM game and they can do it for a heck of a lot less especially now that shipping has become cheap again.
As well there are a fair number of machines that get shipped across the seas anyway. Many of the OEMs here are building fixtures to be integrated into these existing lines albeit with smaller fixtures and smaller marketshare.

(Message edited by GOAT on December 05, 2008)

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3105
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Remember "He is/was a uniter, not a divider". Look at what has happened to this infrastructure in 8-10 years. Above all, I am a voracious reader of the (months long), pre WWII production ramp up, before the attack on Pearl Harbor.
As it stands now we could not even hope to match what happened then. Now what ? Appeal to Korea/Pakistan for steel and vehicles ? And how long would that take, with the political arena now ?

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 440
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what if the $34 billion was used to oversee an detroit centric urban infrastructure project (ala WPA) targeted at title/land clearance, subways, roads, etc., and an education fund for sciences/industry tied to a vc fund for business that locate in detroit?

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 37
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just got done building a Toyota plant. Guess where ALL of the equipment came from? Hint: Starts with J, ends with n, and has apa in the middle.

Philbo
Username: Philbo

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I worked at G.M they installed massive new presses to update the plant. Those presses came frome: Starts with a J, ends with n, and has apa in the middle.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 38
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stupid is as stupid does......The Japanese just laugh at us. They build cars here in "Right to Starve" low wage states and send all of the profits back to Japan.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.