Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » NAACP of Detroit, Labor, and Religious Groups say CVS treats Detroit unfairly « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Greatlakes
Username: Greatlakes

Post Number: 276
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/article/20081 204/BUSINESS06/81204051

quote:

CVS Caremark, the nation’s largest drugstore chain, unfairly serves urban areas, including Detroit, with fewer 24-hour stores, more unsanitary conditions and higher prices than its competitors, a national coalition said today, as it released a 14-month investigation into the company.

In a campaign called “Cure CVS,’’ a coalition of labor groups called Change to Win held a news conference on the sidewalk next to a Detroit CVS store to release a list of concerns about the chain. The NAACP of Detroit and representatives of health care, labor and religious groups participated in the news briefing. The group also held news conferences today in New York City, Los Angeles, Boston and Philadelphia.

The investigation into CVS stores found that:

• CVS has only one Detroit store with longer pharmacy stores, in the Renaissance Center, compared to 44 open 24 hours a day in the suburbs.

• Stores in Detroit and less affluent communities had more than twice the number of health violations and were twice as likely to be cited by health authorities for vermin, compared to stores in areas serving more affluent communities.

• A survey of 206 CVS stores in metro Detroit found expired baby formula at 107 stores and expired dairy products at 52 stores.

• CVS charged more for items in Detroit than the nation’s two other big pharmacy chains, Walgreens and Rite Aid, and it often charged more than posted or advertised prices.

• Consumers at metro Detroit were overcharged at nine of 10 stores visited.

• Many items, including infant formula and condoms, were displayed in locked cases, making it difficult to compare prices.

My mother works as a pharmacist in the suburbs (not CVS, though). She was once robbed at gunpoint by a Detroiter looking for controlled substances. She tells me that through internal company emails, workers get reports about many more robberies that occur at her company's stores in Detroit itself. Most of these never make the news, though.

If the overpricing is true, that should be corrected, as well as the health code violations. Things like keeping items locked behind glass or the counter, however, won't likely change with the current condition of crime in the city, and it isn't difficult to imagine companies just choosing to avoid this PR nightmare and abandon the city all together like many of the other national retailers already have as seen with grocery and electronic stores. Remember when city council members called Kroger racist? And yes, I realize the groups are not just singling out Detroit but all urban areas.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 8007
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's CVS's way to institutionized the black ghettos of Detroit like a liquor store. Sell poisons to low-income folks and get away from it.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 780
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't use CVS in the city, the stores do lack the quality and hours that you see in suburban areas. The thing about condoms is funny. If you have ever tried to find them late at night, its a hard task that will become a huge adventure. Once you find an open drug store good luck finding someone to open the case.

To say that bring up issues with a service provided may drive them out, I don't know that its a bad thing. Places with subpar services often close, and if they do often times another company that sees potential will come in and fill that market. If we drive out CVS there is still Rite-Aid and Wallgreens.

Birwood
Username: Birwood

Post Number: 124
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

QUESTION: Doesn't Health Code Violations, Store Interior Conditions, Competative Prices and out Dated Merchandise fall on the responsibility of the Store Manager and the Ass't Manager.

CVS upper management obviously have people running that business that don't care about their customers or if the business survives.

If that place of business is a shit hole then don't shop there...I don't

Docterry
Username: Docterry

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am so glad someone else is looking at this - I see the difference in the way they run the stores in Detroit and the suburbs all the time. The lack of respect for customers is unbelievable if you've always done business with pharmacies outside the city. I lodged a complaint, first at the local level and then at the national level a couple of years ago. I was offered plenty of apologies and even $20 to return to the store (I didn't) but never got what I'd asked for in terms of training for staff at the stores. (Hence, my refusal to accept the token apologies.) I realize there are drawbacks for them to operate here, but it does not excuse the way the demean, disrespect and exploit residents who don't have the option of going outside the city to be treated decently and fairly. Lots of others have experienced this and spoken on it informally, but most seem to feel powerless to do anything about it - and as individuals, we pretty much are. I hope a group effort will be more successful.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally, I think ALL pharmacy stores should have a big bowl loaded with FREE condoms. If someone's coming in looking for protection, give it to them for free. They shouldn't be locked behind glass and it should be out in public.

Wrap your weenie for free!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10586
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could it be because more security is needed because of more theft or other problems? That could be why they don't have as many 24-hour operations and could be why prices are higher.

There is an economic side effect to high crime other than high unemployment rates folks.

Cub
Username: Cub

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Goat on the 24 hour service. But, the customer service, higher prices, health code violations are inexcusable. I have to admit, if the formula and condoms are being stolen then I don't have a problem with them being secured.
Also, CVS and other businesses need to better screen and train their employees.

Crawford
Username: Crawford

Post Number: 447
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is absolutely hilarious. Only in America, folks.

I work in site selection for retailers, and I just love hearing these sorts of complaints from alleged "consumer advocates"...

These idiots complain that CVS is a s----y store with terrible customer service, then they bitch that there aren't enough CVS stores in Detroit.

Why do you want more of the stores if they're so awful? Open your own damn stores, or encourage allegedly more responsible chains to open stores.

Detroit doesn't have 24 hour stores because of (duh) dangerous, ghetto conditions. Even if the specific neighborhood isn't bad, it will be close enough to where the "bad folks" live to rule out late night hours. Inner city stores get held up all the time, and it rarely makes the papers unless somewhat gets shot or killed.

As for the locked cases, its because these stores have MUCH higher rates of pilfering. Baby formula, shaving razor blades and condoms are among the items with the highest rates of pilfering.

The problem is much more widespread than just among professional shoplifters. Have you ever noticed that inner-city stores seem to look more "picked through" than suburban stores? It's because many regular folks in inner city areas apparently see nothing wrong with just opening up boxes and "sampling" items. Even if they're not taking the item home, they'll open up the box and take a look.

From the store's financial perspective, it's exactly the same as taking it home, but apparently some customers think differently.

One_shot
Username: One_shot

Post Number: 404
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As far as I'm concerned its a reflection of the help thats available in a given neighborhood. If anyone's getting poisoned or bad service blame your neighbor that works there.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14849
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think they've ever BEEN to the one on Woodward. I shopped there regularly for a month or so, and the guard always entertained everyone waiting in line. He was in his glory the night of the tree lighting.

I think it was his way of sizing someone up, how they responded to his humor. Didn't change the fact that he wears a .40 caliber Glock. He does his job well, and the people who work there are great.

Prices are fine, for a drug store...lotsa things on sale all the time. You DO gotta have your CVS card for the discount, though.

Got a problem with that? Talk with the man with the Glock who ain't smilin' anymore.

Ray
Username: Ray

Post Number: 1169
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this kind of harrassment is just one more reason why business don't want to bother opening up stores in distresed urban areas.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1203
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The one on Warren off John R isn't that bad. People should be surprised CVS stays there at all, having to pay for a security guard, and the dudes always panhandling outside. I used to live near there and would go there all the time--I hated it when I couldn't get a parking spot close to the front door, when those lowlifes were always waiting if you had to walk to your car.

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1257
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Gannon, my experiences at the woodward CVS have been abysmal. Employees standing around, not willing to help you. Woman at the cash register doesnt say a word, except to complain about having to work, just stares blankly ahead, throwing the items into a bag.

Ridiculous.

Ombili
Username: Ombili

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lol!!!!! I know exactly which woman you're talking about. Absolutely hilarious......

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 2094
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 12:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the CVS on 9 Mile in Ferndale has a security guard.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 758
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live between 2 CVS stores,the one in Wayne closes at 10 pm and might have a guard,don,t go there much. The one in Westland is open 24/7, No guard there.I don,t really see what differance the extra mile makes. Same thing with the Kroger by my house Mich/Merriman they have a guard, no guard at CherryHill/Merriman. Don,t really complain.At least I have stores to go to.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1142
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 24 hour stores in the City became magnets for prostitutes. Another issue was liquor sales - that drew a lot of late night customers that were not desirable.

There was a 24 hour drugstore on Dragoon & West Vernor in Detroit and it was terrifying at night. The parking lot was filled with people that you and I wouldn't want to walk past.

I would fight against any 24 hour operation again in my neighborhood.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7589
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I visit 2 CVS stores on a regular basis... the one at 11 Mile & Harper in SCS, and the one on E. Warren & Mack in Detroit. They're both clean, well stocked and friendly.

Perhaps this is a problem in the poorer parts of Detroit (more shrinkage), but not the city as a whole.

Ct_alum
Username: Ct_alum

Post Number: 43
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok: There must be two Warren and Mack CVS stores as the one I have been in has filthy carpet, stock piled up in the aisles and indifferent (at best) staff. Try the Rite Aid by St. John Hospital.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7593
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well I didn't check the carpeting, and the staff is no more indifferent than the staff at the Rite Aid. As far as stuff piled up in the aisles, it's no different than the SCS store.

I mainly go to the Warren/Mack CVS for prescriptions for my mother, and their Pharmacy is friendlier and more attentive than at the SCS store.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 156
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only 24 hour one I know of is on Jefferson and usually the only reason I go there is because it's the closest place I can get Reese's Layered Cookies 18 in a box.

That one doesn't seem bad in terms of service. The managers are always nice and even help people get their bags to their cars if they need to (mainly elderly people)

But the sad truth is that no one in their right mind would put a 24hour business in the heart of neighborhoods where drugs, gangs, etc are going on. I agree people can get robbed anywhere, but you just increase those chances if you do so. The one on Gratiot that's not far from me as well, has gotten held up a few times and last year someone was killed because of a robbery there.

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 3241
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only go to Walgreens or RiteAid. CVS is s****y.

Atwater
Username: Atwater

Post Number: 329
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crawford's post is 100% spot on. Really, nothing more needs to be said. Next.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 1143
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tell me please if the suburban cvs stores have 24 hour pharmacy service?

If our suburban neighbors had access to professional advice and prescription dispensing all night, then I can see a gripe for the urban customers who don't have that service. But I don't think the 24 hour stores have pharmacies open all night either.

Some people just want to be able to shop all night. Did you know that Neilson Media Research shows that Black Americans watch more television after midnight than any other demographic - by a pretty big margin.

I recall when it was a very happy thing that an all-night beauty salon opened in downtown Detroit.

Now its racist that CVS won't accomodate the desire of Black Americans to shop all night right in their own neighborhoods.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 572
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The people of Detroit should be grateful that anyone would want to do business in their city.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 851
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh. Another day, another thread on DetroitYES about how degenerate black Detroiters are...

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, it is what it is. Sad.

(I just mean it is what it is. Not that black Detroiters are degenerate. It isn't that simple.) It just is what it is. Sad.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 667
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we had a lot of manufacturing in Detroit, it was as much a 24-hour town as Las Vegas. The movies, restaurants, and a lot of retailers were open late/early, or 24 hours because of all the shift workers.

BTW: CVS is over-priced and snotty in TX, too. Fortunately, I have a Walgreen's close by.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1079
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When we had a lot of manufacturing in Detroit, Las Vegas had about fifteen people in it.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1493
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Tell me please if the suburban cvs stores have 24 hour pharmacy service?

yup. they do. take this one in ferndale, for example:

http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/stor e/storedetails.jsp?getStoreID= 8101&frmsfr=true

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1494
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Well Gannon, my experiences at the woodward CVS have been abysmal. Employees standing around, not willing to help you. Woman at the cash register doesnt say a word, except to complain about having to work, just stares blankly ahead, throwing the items into a bag.

Ridiculous.

sounds like pop copy...

http://video.aol.com/video-det ail/dave-chapelle-popcopy/1538 782153

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.