Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Highland Park History Question « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6498
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 5:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Before Highland Park incorporated as a city, what township was it part of? I have a not so clear map seems to show that the eastern half was in Hamtramck Township and the western in Greenfield Township, but my map isn't clear enough that I'm 100% sure that Woodward was the dividing line between the two. So, was it part of just one of these or both?

BTW, the city seems to have recently gotten an entire new website which is heads and shoulders above the old one. It's a huge change:

http://www.highlandparkcity.us/

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 05, 2008)

Toeknowknee
Username: Toeknowknee

Post Number: 23
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The School District too!

www.highlandparkschools.org

This one is really new so many of the links don't work yet but if you ever saw the old site you would know this is WAY better...it also has a working link to the student newspaper.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 458
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a 1873 map of Wayne County that should give you a good idea of the region before Highland Park was incorporated:

Map of Wayne County 1873

(Message edited by xD_brklyn on December 05, 2008)

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 25
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not sure if you've read this. not certain if it is accurate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H ighland_park,_mi

the settlement was finally incorporated as a village within Greenfield Township and Hamtramck Township under the name of Highland Park in 1889.
The village of Highland Park was incorporated as a city in 1918.

Peterhuntprincess
Username: Peterhuntprincess

Post Number: 47
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! These websites are much better. I teach in Highland Park, and I hope that my school will be featured also! The funniest thing is that as an employee in the district, I didn't even know we had this new and improved site in the making. Once again... WOW!

Lugotown
Username: Lugotown

Post Number: 26
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i feel the same. i came across the site the other day when another thread was started about hp pictures. i shared the website then. i live here and didn't know about the new site. i was still going to the old one. the new site looks great, hope they keep it up. i must have missed that announcement in the paper or by word of mouth. the same company did several others. i admired ferndale's site for years.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9740
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Xd for that link.

It answered some questions about another area of Wayne County I had.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6504
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Yeah, that's the map I have, but it was smaller. It was great to be able to zoom in to see that Woodward was, indeed, the dividing line between Greenfield and Hamtramck. The map even shows Whitewood, which was the original start of HP, but I'm not exactly sure what the cross street would be, today, for that old post office.

I also like how the historic map uses "La Belle Isle" for Belle Isle. Someone should bring the "La" back. ;) It was also interesting to see how old Detroit was contained with the rail "loop".

Oh, and lol @ "Delroy".

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 2205
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there is a very unattractive name for a river in ecorse. wonder how it got such a name and when did it change?

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1061
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The map even shows Whitewood, which was the original start of HP, but I'm not exactly sure what the cross street would be, today, for that old post office.

It looks to me like it's right around where the railroad bridge crosses Woodward (between the high school and the Ford plant).

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I found another location for the Westwood PO. This is from the plat map of 1876 It looks as if that was where the Davison comes through to Woodward now, though I could be wrong.

It's on the same street that Hamtramck Township #3 school was, if anyone knows?

Here's the link to the plat of Hamtramck Township.
The Whitewood PO is in the top LH corner of the left rectangular section, use the crop feature to blow it up. It won't allow a crop and save.

http://www.historicmapworks.co m/Crop/cropprint.php?m=72968&c =US&l=&cont=World,&raw=0

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1062
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, while we're talking about Highland Park I've got a question. Why are the addresses on the east-west streets so weird? The north-south streets, it seems, use Detroit's system, but the blocks on the east-west streets don't even seem to correspond with one another. For example, the recreation center's address is 10 Pitkin, but it's on the corner of Third. Most buildings on east-west streets with an address of 10 are just off Woodward, not two blocks away.
It also seems as though some streets' addresses start counting up at Hamilton, and most all of them skip a bunch of numbers when they cross into Detroit (not sure if this is true on the east side of town, because there aren't really any streets that cross east out of Highland Park, but maybe Six Mile would be worth checking out). Why was it done this way? Why not use either all Detroit addresses or a completely unrelated system? Why not make addresses on adjacent east-west streets match?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2117
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also have a question - does anyone know the origins of HP High School's nickname, the "Polar Bears"?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1063
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might it have something to do with this?

Mikeg
Username: Mikeg

Post Number: 2118
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bearinabox, that is my reason for asking.

Some of the relatives of the WW I "Detroit's Own Polar Bears" asked me if there might be a connection. So far, I have not found a source or anyone who seems to know the origins of the school nickname.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.