Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Things to Be Grateful For « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2449
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are currently in a perfect storm of terrible things happening to Detroit and the area - the recent, embarrassing brooming of a corrupt mayor; the home foreclosure crisis gripping the nation and gripping Detroit harder; the possible disappearance of the industry that has supported our area for a century; and the evaporation of trillions of our savings.

With that happy thought, maybe we should try and list the things we are grateful for even in these stressful times.

I am grateful for having the Detroit Institute of Arts. Every time I go there (which is fairly frequently), I am amazed and awed all over again by the quality of art that the DIA has amassed over the last 120 years. I would guess that the DIA is in the top 30 of the world's best art museums. It is truly a shining jewel in Detroit's battered crown. Long may it be so.

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1738
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I look forward to reading what everyone is grateful for. Maybe it will help me feel better. I am so scared right now about my future that I can't think straight.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5789
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a double-edged sword every time I look around, because so much wouldn't be here if not for them.

The river - that's the one touchstone.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 3979
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm grateful that we have one of the largest fresh water supplies & one of the best water systems in the world.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 14850
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always try to remember to breathe, so I guess I'm thankful for air and that whole oxygen transfer thing. And gravity, I'm pretty happy about that, too, overall.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 889
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm happy OJ is finally behind bars.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10599
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For my job...for now. My health.

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gannon - I like a person who knows how to enjoy life's simple pleasures!

(You forgot to mention the sun coming up every morning!)

Alfie1a
Username: Alfie1a

Post Number: 101
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm grateful for my family who kindly and unselfishly tolerate me.

I sure am happy to have my job, as much as I dislike it.

also, I really like the internet.

oh... and gravity too. LMAO @ Gannon. thanks for that.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 27
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i am grateful for the phenomenal creative-type scene we have here in detroit. nothing helps take my mind off of the worries like great art/poetry/music.

things may be bad, but at least we have some serious soul.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 698
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am grateful for my freedom, hindered as it may be these days. Without it, I could not spend my depressed earning as as I want. I could not bitch about the people who suppress my drive towards success, all the while falling upon deaf ears. Yet I revel in the ability to voice my disdain and carry on through my life without fear of reprisal.

I am grateful for my family who have taught me so many things they have learned the hard way. I will always look for an opportunity to pay it forward as I grow through life, short or long as it may be.

I am grateful for having the ability to discover and develop the many passions in life that motivate me to be a better person. Without those, I would be much less of a person.

Finally, I am grateful for the land I have grown up in and around. Michigan is so beautiful for it's many waterways, and rolling deciduous/coniferous landscapes that change like colors in the rainbow with four spectacular seasons that keep it in an ever changing state.

Thanks for this warm thread. :-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 752
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greatfull for the Redford Theatre still being there,If not for this site I,D might had never went there.And to Lowell whom I,m INDEBTED TO.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5794
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am grateful for the websites I haunt far too much, and all the phenomenal photographers we have in Michigan.

Tkshreve, you might like this other website, too, if you haven't seen it before. For me it helps clear the mind.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1049
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 5:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thankful for betterhalf, the wonderful people in this city, Pewabic Pottery, Roma Cafe, the Eastern Market, Jacoby's, and the beautiful buildings within the city.

Eriedearie
Username: Eriedearie

Post Number: 4168
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am grateful for everything we have - way too much to mention. But I am mostly grateful for my grandson who is now 7-years-old. It is through his eyes I get to replay much of our sons' childhood that I was too busy with housework, cooking, working outside the home, being a mother, etc., to really enjoy them. With this little boy there has been more joy and wonderment open to me than I could have ever imagined would be available to me. I am grateful that he is healthy. I'm grateful that his parents share him with us and that he asks to spend time with us.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 437
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alan: you are so right...it is hard to stay positive in this atmosphere.

I am grateful for this forum and the friends it has give me; for my wonderful husband of 8 years who brings me so much joy; for my three beautiful grandchildren who always make me smile when I see them; and for the fact that both hubby and I still have work and (although it is a struggle) we are making it through each day.

Mallory
Username: Mallory

Post Number: 314
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm thankful that football season is almost over. We get enough bad press as it is. The Lions are NOT helping.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 340
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thankful for the Georgia Street Garden who allowed my kids to have a learning experience. There's nothing like a kid telling me that they feel so good inside after helping serve.

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 27
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Personally I am grateful for two cancer free years and a wonderful city that offers a lot of interesting things to do to make the two years better. I am very appreciative of Detroit and the great things it offers. At the moment Greektown, Mexicantown, Trinity Lutheran Church and Holy Cross Hungarian Church come to mind. And Foran's and the Gaelic League. Oh, I could go on forever but i won't. Next comment... :-)

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 158
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today is Bodhi Day, the day of enlightenment for Buddhists. On this day 2,500 years ago, Siddharta (Buddha) became enlightened and discovered the true reason of human suffering: selfishness and ignorance.

I give thanks today for the lessons this man has taught me. This Day of December 8th is a very special day to not only to commemorate and honor Lord Buddha’s Enlightenment, but to also honor our own Buddha within.

Happy Holidays and regardless of your personal religious or spiritual beliefs, remember to take this day and all month long to work to the benefit, peace and happiness of others — that is the true reason for the season.

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 342
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was really nice, Tkierpiec.

Detroitbred
Username: Detroitbred

Post Number: 183
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kath, I know that feeling well....I will keep you in my prayers. This is a tough time of the year to feel that way, everything seems amplified and worse somehow. Keep the Faith :-)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grateful? Do we still have to be grateful even though Thanksgiving Day is over? That's asking a lot!

I'm grateful that there are other people who love the World's Most Unlovable City as much as I do and are willing to commiserate over it.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grateful for having family, friends and for having a place to goof off or spout off once in the while here at DetroitYes.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.