Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Christmas Movie 1990s « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Orchard612
Username: Orchard612

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember a locally produced movie made sometime in the early 1990s with Isiah Thomas, Jeff Daniels, Ron Coden and Carmen Harlan? I remember it being really awful, and now it's really hard for me to find it's name or any info about it. Under Jeff Daniels and Isiah Thomas (!) filmographies, mysteriously, nothing is listed. Can anyone help, and then can anyone help in redistributing this gem so that the world can know the true meaning of Christmas once again.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 439
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i think it was called

the bad boy of christmas and his magic purple rose

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3111
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't the Ghoul and Shirly Muldowney in it with Al Ackerman ?

What a Detroit classic.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 497
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Carmen Harlan play a character named Common Harlot who was a street walker?

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 240
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...yes, quite the heart warming yuletide production. Coleman A. Young played the M.F.I.C. ( Mother Fucker In Church ), a loveable character,indeed.

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the ending was priceless...remember when

count scary agreed to play santa claus at the last minute for the kids, because the real santa clause was in nyc with reps from macys and marshall fields trying figure out a way to save hudsons.

how could you forget???

Dannyv

Post Number: 498
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How could anyone forget the scene of Count Scary, dressed as Santa, frightening the children because he forgot to take his white/death face makeup off and Tyree Guyton trying to guide Santa to the homes of the good boys and girls by painting polka dots on the roofs of their houses but was shot by someone who thought he was a scrapper trying to steal their TV antenna for pocket money.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 28
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

woah woah woah.

wait a second.

this is an actual movie? i want to see it right now. it sounds AMAZING.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 241
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....the prologue leading up to the Christmas scenes was also a scene to remember. During the Thanksgiving Day Parade the DFD used one of their pumpers to squirt Cheese Whiz at the floating Froggie Balloon over Woodward just before The Ghoul blew it up to create a Detroit Hindenburg effect.

Dannyv

Post Number: 499
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's what I call A Hard Rain Gonna Fall, Sd.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What a hilarious thread! Thanks for making my day.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 43
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember Don Shane's dramatic turn as Tiny Tim and Bob Bennett and Al Allen playing talking snowmen who lived on freeway overpasses.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 242
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...of the three spirits to appear before Isiah Thomas' character, the first to arrive was the Ghost of Christmas Past portrayed by George Pierrot who was already dead in 1980. He spoke of the wonderful cuisine of Bogata, Columbia and recited a host of ribald holiday limericks.

The Second Spirit, the Ghost of Christmas Present was handled by John Sinclair, who rolled up a bunch of mistletoe bombers and passed them around.

Alice Cooper then completed the ghostly trio by appearing as the Ghost of Christmas Future as he showed Isiah how Detroit would appear in the early 21st Century.....very frightening indeed!

Dannyv

Post Number: 500
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about when the Mayor declared all the trash, blowing around on the streets, to be considered legal tender and to be used solely for the purchase of toys for the children of the City. Now that was real Christmasy.

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...plagerizing "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" for a few scenes, just to give the children of Detroit a good holiday scare, Le Nain Rouge held the real Santa captive in his lair down in the grit tunnels of Detroit's Wastewater Treatment Plant....

Dannyv

Post Number: 502
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when I heard that a fetus had washed up on your shores, I was sure the media was confused. That was no fetus, that was the new director doing an unscheduled inspection.

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 451
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...And remember the part where the evil mayor stole all of the city's money, and they threw him in jail? Oh wait, that really happened.

Dannyv

Post Number: 503
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's a different movie called Kwame Kwaanza

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 33
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i've looked everywhere for this movie and can't find it. was it aired on tv? or was it on video?

Kryptonite
Username: Kryptonite

Post Number: 29
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, some of these posts make me wonder if I should have voted AGAINST Proposal 1 instead of for it. :-)

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2053
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasn't it shown as part of the local series Hamtramck?

Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 245
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...pre-dating his appearance on South Park, Mr. Hanky, in an animation/live action ala "Who Famed Roger Rabbit" scene saves the real Santa Claus from the clutches of Le Nain Rouge in the grit tunnels of the Detroit Wastewater Plant. Being again free to distribute toys to the good little boys and girls, Santa was given the Key to the City of Detroit--a bejeweled pry-bar.

Fredgarvin
Username: Fredgarvin

Post Number: 82
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What, Oopsy the Clown wasn't in it?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.