Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Do you have a DIA Membership? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 632
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yesterday, When I went to the DIA. Our Family got a Membership for only $100. We saved almost $50 just yesterday by going to the Monet to Dali. ( Which by the way was Awesome! ) The membership for an Individual is $65. But you receive so many benefits.... Such as 10% of Museum Shop and Free Admissions to Special Events and Museum Admission. An discounts at the Cafe.

http://www.dia.org/pdfs/member _brochure.pdf

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2453
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, DIA membership is a good deal, and the Museum is a great place to spend a few hours, especially in the winter months.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1053
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We've had a membership for years. One of my fave places. Happy to know you enjoyed the exhibit, French.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 970
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. love the DIA, one of the best things in town.

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 784
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Money saving tip. If you get a membership to a smaller museum like the Saginaw Art Museum the DIA is included in places that you can go and it costs less.

Rj_spangler
Username: Rj_spangler

Post Number: 75
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I am a member. I enjoy the Friday jazz concerts and the cafe' and just walking around the place.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 29
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 4:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you can also get a guest-membership where you get in free every time and so does your guest. i think it's only about 10 bucks more than the single membership, i think i paid $75 for mine. it's a great deal.

Dave70
Username: Dave70

Post Number: 69
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yup, the membership is a great deal.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 850
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, of course. I'm an educator -- my mentors always said that if we didn't support our cultural institutions, who would?

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 364
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I have memberships. By the way, admission is free on Friday nights to Detroit residents, so go check it out. They usually have some kind of concert and other activities going on--the museum is open until 9 those nights.

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 225
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DIA is a treasure. The film series is a fun night out and you get a free parking pass each time you purchase tickets. The upstairs is a cool place for a glass of wine or snack. Check out the photo exhibit that just started.

Defendbrooklyn
Username: Defendbrooklyn

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes!

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9505
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a cultural gem in Detroit. Of course I support it.

Ask any out-of-towner what they think of the place and you'll realize how important and how impressive this place it. Let's not take it for granted. Not only do I have membership there for MY benefits (discounts, tickets, etc.) but to keep the place up and running as well. It's more than worthwhile.

Otter
Username: Otter

Post Number: 443
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved to Chicago this summer and got a gift membership to the Art Institute from a family friend. Since I would have gotten myself a membership anyway, I decided to take some of that money and give it to the DIA. I was going to give them $40 or so when I was there this afternoon, but they suggested I could give them $52 and get a membership with it, so I did that.

I think the DIA is a treasure, and I love it. So I'm happy to support it, even from out of town, from where I can't take advantage of things like the Friday night events, which I really enjoyed for many years.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9507
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Otter- let's not forget that even though you're in Chicago your DIA membership is reciprocal at the Art Institute of Chicago and a whole host of other top notch art museums all across the country. Again, I get to support the DIA with my membership there but it's more than paid for itself with admissions costs at some of those other museums in other cities that I visit.

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 459
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, for a few years now. At one time I committed the place to memory so that I could draw the floor plan and name some of the important paintings in each gallery. It is a real treat to go through the bulletin archives of the DIA and read about the acquisition of works that I am familiar with.

Among other things, it was a trip to befriend Michael Hall here in New York. He was William Valentiner's protege in the '50s. Also admire the work Graham Beal is doing. Given the difficulties he has to face in Detroit, he has handled the job well.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1070
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

your DIA membership is reciprocal at the Art Institute of Chicago and a whole host of other top notch art museums all across the country.

That is good to know. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I'm out of town. Is there a list somewhere of museums that honor DIA memberships?

Smogboy

Post Number: 9509
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's actually listed on the little sleeve that holds my DIA membership card and listed here:

http://www.dia.org/membership/ member/index.asp

Otter

Post Number: 444
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy,

I will have to check when my new DIA membership materials arrive in the mail, but my old membership did not give me reciprocal priveleges at the Art Institute. I think you had to get a family membership for that, or else you had to get a family membership at the AI to get reciprocal at the DIA - don't remember. I did ask about it last year, though, as I made lots of visits here before moving since my GF lives here.
It will be nice if there is that arrangement with a regular membership now, though incidental since I got the membership to continue to support the DIA more than for any benefits. They were certainly very ahppy about it.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1905
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tried to use my reciprocal member at the Art Institute of Chicago, and they would not take it at first. I had to get someone in their membership office who knew about the program to approve it. So you just have to find the correct person, but it works.

Smogboy

Post Number: 9514
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if you had to "step it up" a few bucks to the next plan Otter, I think you'd still make off like a bandit with the savings. And even if you are in Chicago or traveling abroad- you can still order up tickets to the DIA for your friends & family back here in Detroit I believe.

Lonelycloud
Username: Lonelycloud

Post Number: 24
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a membership for years, lotsa changes.

One of my fave galleries is Fashionable Living. French dining table vid is great, particlularly for kids.

I understand that the museum absolutely needs the revenue from membership but for my low-income students I recommend the Museum Adventure passes.

http://www.melsa.org/museumadv enturepass/

Otter

Post Number: 446
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, I think you may have misunderstood something in my original post - the proximate reason i gave money to the DIA (and got a membership for it) was because I had been given an Art Institute membership as a gift. But I will still check into the reciprocal thing for future reference.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 78
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yes, of course. I'm an educator -- my mentors always said that if we didn't support our cultural institutions, who would?

Prolly wealthy capitalist benefactors, according to my history profs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.