Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Dinner and drinks in Windsor « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 309
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Windsor in a while, but when I've gone it was usually to go to a club. My siblings and I promised to take my little sister across the border for her 19th birthday (tonight). The problem is she's never been there and has no clue where she wants to go. I've been there but only to go clubbing, so I have no idea where to take her. We plan to have dinner and then find a bar/pub to have drinks at afterward. Any suggestions?

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 323
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fun evening in Windsor is to stroll down the Via Italia, which is Erie St. E starting around Howard. You can go into a restaurant that looks good, and then either go downtown to a bar or just join the Italian guys along in the coffee bars, which have liquor.

Lostinyonkers
Username: Lostinyonkers

Post Number: 10
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Kildare House. Perfect for what you want. Great food and authentic euro pub at great prices. Plus live music. look for Joe the owner. He looks like Santa...

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Post Number: 324
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Second on Kildare House. Friendly Scottish pub, with good live music on weekends. Haggis is on the menu--she ought to enjoy that.

Mountainman
Username: Mountainman

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kildare House. Definitely. One of my favorite pubs I've been to. The food is quite good, the ambiance great.

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 221
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This might be too late but here goes...

For those who know, your dollar is worth about $1.25 at least these day- there are some tremendous values.

Concerning the Kildare House, Joe no longer works there- and I doubt a 19-year old would find it much fun if looking to "club".

Clubbing is only worthwhile downtown- lots of places to check out.

Oishii for sushi or Chanoso's or Buda next would be a good pick with the Room upstairs popping with clubbers.

Lostinyonkers
Username: Lostinyonkers

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason I suggested it was he said he was looking for a pub. But either way it would make for a memorable 19th b-day. She'll have 2 nondescript years of going over there to club, and all he only goes over for is to go to the club. Why not expose the young Jedi to something new and have a unique memory for the whole fam?

Too bad about Joe, he's good people...

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10602
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep clubbing in Windsor. That seems to be all it is known for. Well, that and titty bars. Gee no wonder the downtown is the way it is.

More cops + zero tolerance = a great downtown for EVERYONE.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Take her to Terra Cotta Pizza on Pelissier Street. The best pizza you will ever eat!! They cook it in a wood burning oven. The ambiance is very quaint and intimate. The restaurant is owned by a 89X dj and the staff is very friendly. Check it out

Lferg
Username: Lferg

Post Number: 53
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Mother's Pizza still around?

Fastcarsfreedom
Username: Fastcarsfreedom

Post Number: 364
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly Lferg, Mother's is no longer--the entire chain (founded in my hometown of Hamilton, ON) has been gone since the early 1990s. Most of the locations were bought by Little Caesars which closed down the sit-down locations and kept the take-out stores. In Windsor, where Little Caesars already had a presence--Mother's simply disappeared.

If you have a look at YouTube there are some old Mother's TV commericals kicking around--starring Dennis Weaver. "Mother's - Pizza-Pasta Made Perfect!"

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 890
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always a Detroit connection, especially with pizza, - Ernie Whitt, Detroit native and ex Blue Jay, had a large ownership stake in Mother's Pizza.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 9519
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seconding the call out to Terra Cotta Pizza. Great food. Great ambiance. The flavor from cooking with wood can't be beat and that crust is super thin too.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1131
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't find any listings on the internet for "Terra Cotta Pizza" in Windsor.....a best-kept secret?

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1132
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, nothing on Yahoo.......Plenty on Google.

Scooter2k7
Username: Scooter2k7

Post Number: 166
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Grambling_man hears one for you:

http://national.citysearch.com /profile/11353017/windsor_on/t erra_cotta.html

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 1495
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 10:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Yep clubbing in Windsor. That seems to be all it is known for. Well, that and titty bars

what? no more over-the-counter sales of tylenol with codeine?

wow, that's tough.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.