Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Time Magazine Detroit Photo Essay « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 4979
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know if this has been previously posted on here, but my daughter just sent me this link.
www.time.com/time/photogallery /0,29307,1864272,00.html
called the Remains of Detroit

Hans57
Username: Hans57

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, that sure was inspiring. I think I wanna cry.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2221
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you^^

Where is the Fisher plant? Ive never been through it, Im kind of embarrased to say.

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1108
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, i bet you've seen it, but just didn't know it.

Intersection of I-75 and I-94.

If you're interested in abandoned factories, I think Fisher is safer than Packard.

Interestingly, I think those of us that find an ironic dark beauty in these ruins are spoiled in Detroit. I think the rest of the Nation is much more fascinated with them than we are...

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 2225
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Andy, Its soooo funny you say that. Ive been trying to explain to ppl down here (mexico if you dint know) about you all, the hardcore Detroiters who stick with it there. You or we, or probably just some of us love the ruins of Detroit.
I just dont see it as ugly, just another part of nature reclaiming itself. Its really true beauty to me.

Now I know where the Fischer Plant, thanks, I have been there. A dude named Country lives there.
on the back loading.

I also agree with your safety assessment

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 86
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the guy who was living in the back of the Fisher plant has been gone for a while.

Macknwarren
Username: Macknwarren

Post Number: 87
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By the way, which floor is Scott Hocking's pyramid on?

Buyamerican
Username: Buyamerican

Post Number: 885
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2974
Posted on Saturday, December 06, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW, what a great ripoff of DetroitYes without paying any homage to the original. FTimeWarner.

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 30
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i loved this one quote:

"about working in downtown detroit, hemmerle comments, 'it was odd. Everywhere we went in the rust belt, people told us "be careful, detroit is very dangerous." but all of the people we met when we were working were really, really kind."

Ruxy17
Username: Ruxy17

Post Number: 32
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

also, i noticed something odd. the first time i saw it, on friday, the quote on the picture of Hocking's pyramid said something like "hemmerle suspects that the pyramid was left by an artistically-minded vandal." but then when i read it to look up ^that quote, it said "this pyramid was created by scott hocking."

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 756
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The only Time that I,d want to see the son in laws copy of Time magazine is after he got the picture and put it away, have to get it from him.

Kellyroad
Username: Kellyroad

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 2:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The composition, the technical aspect, artistic impact and selection of the photos yield a very powerful story.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5576
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 3:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow.
here's Sean's website:

http://seanhemmerle.com/

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 5798
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe there's stuff he isn't showing or it's because they're out of context, but to me his shots feel distant and cold.

I've noticed before that they photogs I enjoy here tend to be warmer, more intimate, and more playful than what I've seen from some of the big name pros, usually based elsewhere.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 2042
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This quote was interesting as well "America was once the standard-bearer for quality," he says. "In transitioning from a production economy to a service economy, we gave away something that we didn't understand the importance of."

It may give some insight on the last few weeks and our realization of how the rest of the country not only precieves us as a City, but as an industrial powerhouse. For example, we can live with the rest of the country thinking we are a rough town because it gives us street credit. We can't live if the rest of the country considers us useless to the economy however. If anything we need to begin to loose our street credit in order to regain our industrial strength because we can't survive as a country of importers. Indeed, our country was built on exporting things to Europe.

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these photos ( as well executed and sincere as they are ) as well as many of the photos on the flickr group "detroit" are almost akin to fashion photography. they find the lighting, they stage the location, they tell a cosmetic story of the surface of the city.

a somewhat useful analogy would be to take photos in an old age home. the illness, despair and senselessness would be everywhere you look. it would be hard to believe that life is ( overall ) a pleasurable and exciting adventure. because of the situation the photographer chose.

but we all know life is MORE than that.

very few shots ( and i fault many of my own photos in this same manner ) succeed in getting inside the subject of the city. they may be interesting compositionally, from a lighting standpoint or as a photoshop exercise... but very few tell of the "being" of the city.

that is implied in one of the captions in the time essay when the photographer notes that despite warnings about how tough detroit is - all he found was kindness.

i am not suggesting we ignore the beauty that is the entropy of the city. and i am not suggesting that we only seek out the bullshit PR / "phoenix" experiences. but somehow that we challenge ourselves in our descriptions and photos to tell a deeper richer story about this city.

--

thats part of why i like this forum. it attempts and often succeeds in telling the whole story.

--

look up detroit on flickr and you'll find ( as of today ) 569,172 images. some echo the conclusion of seans photos and others challenge it.

here is just one group devoted to finding the essence of detroit ( i hesitate to use the word "soul" because it takes on multiple meanings in the context of describing detroit ).

flickr link ::

http://www.flickr.com/groups/c ityofdetroit/

(Message edited by edgar_rhode on December 07, 2008)

(Message edited by edgar_rhode on December 07, 2008)

Urbanophile
Username: Urbanophile

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Edgar, I don't now if you've seen the photos from Ricky Burdett's "The Endless City", but I saw him present at a conference and, apropos of photo spreads like this, a questioner basically accused him of fetishizing urban horror stories, of turning them into titillation for the urban elite of the world's premier cities. I don't think that's the whole story, but there's an uncomfortable angle of truth in it.

Urbanophile
Username: Urbanophile

Post Number: 6
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The thing I thought was telling about this photo spread was that there were only 12 shots but they took several shot each of the Michigan Central Depot and the Fisher body plant. It's as if the photographer couldn't even find a dozen buildings to shoot.

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 19
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

urbanophile - i don't know if i'd go as far as accusing sean of "fetishizing urban horror stories" ( nice turn of phrase there ). your second post is closer to my point. 2 or 3 locations seems more like a photographic field trip. the images in no way speak to the hope or the despair of this city and its citizens.

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 59
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see what Edgar is saying about fashion photography, and it would be nice if the photographer (or the Time magazine editor) included some image of what he said in a caption--that the people he met were very kind. How come none of his images have any people?

Melocoton
Username: Melocoton

Post Number: 60
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I see what Edgar is saying about fashion photography, and it would be nice if the photographer (or the Time magazine editor) included some image of what he said in a caption--that the people he met were very kind. How come none of his images have any people?

Ordinary
Username: Ordinary

Post Number: 287
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fisher Body Plant, Packard Plant, Michigan Central...that's been done to death.....BORING!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.