Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Time for a Detroit March on Washington? » Archive through December 05, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5193
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not a huge fan of the bailouts but if Detroit is not granted the paltry [by comparison to the handouts to east coast banks] loan guarantees and our companies are driven into bankruptcy, is it time to think of yet another march on Washington?

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 1253
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 559
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, we ought to just secede from the Union.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 849
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would Canada take us?

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 630
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes!

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 3940
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohio already took us. Well, the Toledo strip, anyway...... :-)

Sstashmoo
Username: Sstashmoo

Post Number: 2976
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, that march needs to happen right now to ensure the Big 3 and the region gets the help it needs. Bankruptcy is just a phase of death for these companies. Few are buying cars and a tiny portion of that demo would consider buying a vehicle from a company that could fold any day.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 695
Posted on Wednesday, December 03, 2008 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to hoard our water when the rest of the nation needs us.......

wait..... they'll probably just take it won't they?

I'll march.

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 30
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe it's just time to move away from the outdated midwestern mindset and reliance on the auto industry in general, join the modern world and embrace some of the ideals that successful metro areas have used to become thriving and growing places. Blaming people on "the coasts" which many of you seem to do lately on this forum, will get you nowhere. If the bailouts don't end up happening or working out in the long run I hope you will all realize you have no one to blame but Detroit and the status quo that you've held tight to for so long. Stop trying to blame your mess on Washington or New York or wherever else. Change, please, finally. Thank you if you're able to manage that.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6491
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think any of us are a huge fan of the bailouts. In fact, many have been critical of the industry for years. But, damnit, this is about fair play, now. This is bigger than the fight between the industry and Congress. The fight has shown that this is between Michigan anda good deal of the rest of the country, between realists and ultra-idealists, between those that make things and those that simply push money around and perpetually skim off the top of that.

They really don't want to get into playing games over corporate jets and plans after what they just did for the "best and the brightest" on Wall Street.

I'm not for the bailout to see a big-fat smile on Mulally, Nardelli, and Wagner's faces. To be honest, I'm for it out of spite, now. I may have been able to accept bankruptcy if the reaction to the request hadn't have been so pungent, vitriolic, and disrespectful (i.e. the whole "how dare you" reaction by our 'leaders'), but after the disdain they showed for workers and the state of Michigan and what it has meant to American history, I can't accept it.

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 04, 2008)

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 619
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*pours out a little liquor for Michigan*

See you in the next state and the next industry!

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMichigan: Here, here!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 563
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look out West Virginia, here we come!

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10576
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

English, no they wouldn't we already have a Detroit. It is called Windsor.

Lowell
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 5195
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay then we march on Ottawa too.

Goat

Post Number: 10579
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

:-) I can agree to that Lowell. Just waiting for the whiners to stop talking about a revolution and start to make a revolution.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1043
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm willing. When do we leave?

Goat

Post Number: 10580
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get enough people, I am in. I'm very serious I would love to overthrow the gov't and take back what is rightfully ours.
The time is now to have leadership and this planet has had a vacuum of leadership for some time.

Mbshan
Username: Mbshan

Post Number: 64
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, I think a big misconception is going on here with the media being a major culprit. The big three do not want a bailout!! It's a loan! I believe that this is a big reason so many people are against it. And, to all of you who think bankruptcy is the way to go. ARE YOU CRAZY! If this happens we (country) will spin into a depression this fast!
I really believe they are going to get their money and when they do they need to take some of it retool a couple of their factories here and shut down whatever they have going on in Alabama. Bring those jobs home.

Ashdetroit
Username: Ashdetroit

Post Number: 53
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 6:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, maybe we can start some sort of list. Who on Detroit Yes! would drive out to Washington and march for a bailout? What do you think? Do we wait until Obama is inaugurated?

Vivadetroit
Username: Vivadetroit

Post Number: 136
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Road trip to DC, I'm in.

Janesback
Username: Janesback

Post Number: 504
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sadly, the media portrays the average auto worker making 71.42 per hour. Also, the media portrays the unemployed auto worker getting 95% of his salary while he is unemployed, as well as receiving $ 400 a week in unemployment. 95% of 71.42 as well as 1600 a month for unemployment benefits, as well as keeping his health benefits( union perk) is a little much to the $8.00 an hour worker who has lost his job, his benefits and no health coverage.......

Hopefully, with out any attacks towards me, you can see why the average tax payer is more and more against helping the big 3. This with the fact that the Japanese still have their hybrids getting 35 m.p.g. versus the Chevy Malibu only getting 27 mpg. People, the U.S. is broke , and theres nothing left to give out........its called "bail out fatigue" Jane

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 439
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 7:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually, I'm surprised at your figures, Janesback. 95% of 71.42? Christ. No wonder that most people are against the auto worker. You are SO full of it.

They get unemployment compensation,then it's the 95% of their base rate, minus what is recieved in unemployment. No benefits are included in these figures, and all of this is taxable income. And the base rate is toward 26 dollars, not the 71.42 figure that you pulled out of.. well wherever. The new hires now would be paid 14 dollars.

And some benefits end the month after layoff.

(Message edited by townonenorth on December 04, 2008)

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 281
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else catch the "blurb" after today's circus? Kramer from "Mad Money" (yes he's a crazy bastard) said it all. When he refered to Senator Shelby he called him the "Senator from Honda".

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 8:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe it's just time to move away from the outdated midwestern mindset and reliance on the auto industry in general, join the modern world and embrace some of the ideals that successful metro areas have used to become thriving and growing places.

I don't know where people get this idea. By any objective analysis, Michigan has done a better job than most states at embracing the "new economy". Evidence:

http://www.kauffman.org/upload edfiles/new-state-index-2008.p df

Michigan ranks 17th among the states in the "new economy index".

It's not Michigan's fault that it doesn't have warm and sunny weather year-round, a massive oil and gas endowment, or is overpopulated for the jobs that it has. It's also not Michigan's fault that it gets less aid from the federal government per capita than the "thriving" states in the Sun Belt (it's easy to have low state tax rates when you're suckling the federal teat).

Mashugruskie
Username: Mashugruskie

Post Number: 316
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But we have all the water, don't we? Something those "brown" states (who say they're green) don't have. Bummer.

Looking forward to watering my front lawn next spring ALL FRIGGING DAY LONG!

And Jane, I'm going back to work (with 20 years experience). I'll be lucky if I make $9 an hour. My husband's union and we know absolutely NO ONE who makes $70-plus dollars an hour, there is no such thing as a Union day off for hunting season, there is no job bank for what he does or for the building he works in. It's all crap perpetuated by media.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 6496
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, there are many forces in the media that continually push the $70/hr average wage number, which is totally bogus, but people believe it because they want to believe it. And, even when they don't use the ridiculous $70/hr number they still add both wage and benefits and peddle the number as a "wage". It's hard to fight ignorance when it's willful ignorance.

If the Beltway Bandits want to bury Detroit and the American worker, they are going to have to bury us while we stand, because were not going to lay down for them.

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 443
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope to think that SOMEDAY those dolts in Lansing will figure that we need to do something for ourselves for once.

Stop fighting, find a way to leverage our location for a shitload of power generating wind and water plants OWNED by the state, then give everyone here a break on the electric rates.

Recently we had a bill passed that supposedly shifted the costs on to the little guy. I see where that got us. Still no investment, or jobs. Just us, paying the bill. Imagine if we can really offer a company a significant savings by locating here, in their day to day operation?

Huge roofs on all these auto plants would be excellent spots for solar panels. Sure it's cloudy a lot, so we can make some zoning changes for wind power towers in our cities?

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 622
Posted on Thursday, December 04, 2008 - 10:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some ammo for those ready to march on Washington...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/th efordstory/

Andylinn
Username: Andylinn

Post Number: 1103
Posted on Friday, December 05, 2008 - 12:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boots are ready. sign me up. I'll also supply armbands with pictures of the detroit flag on them...