Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Smart Car Detroit Facility « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tonight I was driving around the city, just exploring, with a friend of mine, and wound up on Mt. Elliott south of 8 Mile. There's a stretch of factories for a few blocks, some abandoned, some not. To my surprise, one of these giant buildings had a giant freestanding Smart Car logo/ sign at the entrance. (similar to this, but without the cars inside http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I mage:SMART_Fyshwick_ACT.JPG )

Is Smart car building anything here? I've yet to hear anything about them in Detroit. I think it's a wee bit ironic if they're doing anything at all here, seeing as the Big 3 have pretty much refused to go that route in terms of their models.

Still, has anyone been by there during the day who can say if it's a functioning facility or something? It was just interesting to me.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1067
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Which side of Mt. Elliott?

J_to_the_jeremy
Username: J_to_the_jeremy

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The East side of the street.

I google mapped it and it looks like the whole clump of factories might be run by Daimler/Chrysler?

So it might make sense that Smart had something going on there, seeing as it's owned by them.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1068
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From what I remember of that area, there's a Chrysler plant on Outer Drive that extends up the west side of Mt. Elliott almost all the way to 8 Mile. The NE corner of Outer Drive and Mt. Elliott has a smaller building which I believe is vacant and for sale. I can't recall seeing any sign like that in front of that building. I can't think what else is on the east side of Mt. Elliott along there. I usually pass through that area on Outer Drive.

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 112
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

they are just using the building as a billboard and to give the image of a local investment.....Just guessin

Bearinabox

Post Number: 1069
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

they are just using the building as a billboard and to give the image of a local investment.....Just guessin

If that's what they're trying to do, that wouldn't be a very good place for it. I can't imagine that stretch of Mt. Elliott gets much traffic apart from Chrysler workers and deliveries to the plant. Anyone wanting to go north-south through that area would use Mound or Van Dyke.

Ltdave
Username: Ltdave

Post Number: 312
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mt elliott tool and die (chrysler plant in the old Briggs building) is at mt elliott and outer drive. it goes from outer drive north to the abandoned railroad tracks roughly 0.2 miles south of 8 mile. further north of there, the property was part of mound road engine but is now used for truck storage from the truck plant. north of THAT was the michigan fun center. a go-cart track and arcade now a used car lot...

on the east side, continental paper and siding world are in what WAS 8 mile stamping (chrysler). then there is a steel fabrication/recycling company. after that is the parking lot for the metd plant and then the corner plant thats been out of business for about 2 years...

i dont know too much about whats south of outer drive...

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 265
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Isn't Roger Penske a Smart Car Importer/Dealer? I saw that you could buy a Smart Car in Phoenix from WalMart. I'm sure this will warm a lot of people's heart.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.