Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Applause for a SMART driver. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9753
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This morning while taking my normal trip to work Downtown on the 125, the bus driver saw an elderly woman slip and fall. She seemed to have difficulty in getting back up.

He stopped the bus, got off and helped her up, and even, we later found out, offered to drive her, however far, it was to her destination.

A couple of us started a round of applause for him, as he climbed back on the bus to continue the route.

I didn't get his name, but the driver of SMART bus 23330 Rte 125 Fort Street around 10 a.m. made the world a better place by his unselfish act of kindness.

Hubbardfarmer
Username: Hubbardfarmer

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 9:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing it. Detroit is full of kind people. When I was a student and had cars that would constantly break down, I was always offered unsolicited help when I was in the city.

Det313grrl
Username: Det313grrl

Post Number: 499
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for sharing such an inspiring story.

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 307
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe you can Honor him by contacting Smart. Jams, it seems you have a good amount of information. I was looking around the SMART website. Smart and other transit systems have awards that honor there workers.
SMART has the Champions of Transit Awards,
The number to contact Smart is in the link at the bottom.
http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/ News+and+Info/SMART+Champions/ Champions+of+Transit/
and SMART also has a compliment page,
http://www.smartbus.org/Smart/ Contact%20Smart/cmpformCompli. aspx
This is such a great story. I love stories like this. People like that should be honored.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 9757
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tried, the damn site will not accept a Date of Occurence

Sg9018
Username: Sg9018

Post Number: 308
Posted on Sunday, December 07, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then I guess you have to call SMART on the phone.

W_chicago
Username: W_chicago

Post Number: 65
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love hearing stories like this!

It reaffirms my faith that human beings are inherently prone to behave compassionately and in solidarity with others. It just sucks that hearing things like this shock people and that our social institutions rewards greed and selfishness. Imagine if instead they rewarded compassion and solidarity, and let creativity flourish and all people to reach their fullest potential. It isn't hard if you try.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 1909
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always found the SMART drivers to be helpful and courteous.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 3864
Posted on Monday, December 08, 2008 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait to see the newspaper headline: "SMART driver called on carpet -- a red one" :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.