Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Detroit Metro Area Residential Vacancy Rate « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 31
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From a Detroit News article in today's paper.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.d ll/article?AID=/20081209/METRO /812090364

"That helps explain why Metro Detroit has been a leader in foreclosure rates, and the new numbers may indicate that many are leaving their homes and apartments. There were an estimated 100,000 vacant housing units in 2000; that number has shot to 200,000."

200,000 vacant housing units in Metro Detroit? Census bureau stats show that there are just over 2 million housing units in the Detroit CMSA.

Approximately 10% of all housing units in the Detroit Metro Area are vacant? Is it really that high? I've heard construction of new homes has virtually stopped in the area, (and hope that is the case) but if these numbers are accurate there needs to be a complete moratorium on any new construction for a specified period.

10% is high for commercial vacancy rates in many areas, but 10% residential vacancy rate? 10% residential vacancy often happens within specific municipalities but across an entire MA is a different story. Someone familiar with the entire metro area please offer some insight as to whether 10% seems accurate.

Novine
Username: Novine

Post Number: 911
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that includes apartments, that's not surprising. Apartments are almost never fully rented.

Goose
Username: Goose

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 out of 10, that number seems low

drive down any average Detroit residential street and it seems every third or fourth house has a REPO sticker on its window....

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 569
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Novine is correct. I could not find the survey mentioned in the article, but the 2003 Census data shows an overall vacancy rate of 8.7% with single unit structures at 5.7% and multiple unit structures at 19.4%.

http://www.census.gov/hhes/www /housing/ahs/metropolitandata. html

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 413
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On my block, both sides, there are 41 homes. Last fall we did an inventory 10 vacancies and 3 for sales. This fall, we only have 3 vacancies and two for sales. Unfortunately, one of those repos is right next door.

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 32
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting data. I get 8.7 % too. So if vacancy was already up to 8.7% overall for residential in 2002 or 2003 it could likely be even higher than 10% in 2008.

Interestingly, It appears that 71% of the residential units are single-family detached in the 7-county area they examined. A pretty high number compared to many other metro areas.

French777
Username: French777

Post Number: 634
Posted on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree. . .

STOP SPRAWL!!

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 768
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been wanting to count the empty houses on my block and streets around mine but it gets too be too much.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 840
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. Arthur and Dr. Sarah Carolyn R_ were the socially and culturally elite family on my former block. He was a teacher in DPS and she was a counselor in a suburban district. Their craftsman style house was always meticulously maintained both inside and out. In my mind, I can still see Mr. R_ wearing his big straw hat out manicuring the front lawn.

When painting the main rooms of their house, Mr. R_ used a brush rather than rollers so as not to chance paint spatters on the oak moldings. Their elegant living room was a combination of French furniture and African art. Dr. R_ was a major collector of African beads and liked to display her treasures for guests.

Mr. R_'s workshop was in the basement. There was a hand bell kept at the top of the stairs so that when Dr. R_ needed him to come from the basement, she would not have to raise her voice to holler down the stairs.

The R_'s died many years ago and the house was sold. And perhaps sold again.

On a recent drive through my old neighborhood I noticed the R_'s house was vacant, shabby-looking, and broken into. I find it all so sad.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.