Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Access Lakeside « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Miketoronto
Username: Miketoronto

Post Number: 939
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Check out my lattest Detroit bus route idea.
Click on the link below to see my idea for the north eastern part of the metro area.

http://maps.google.ca/maps/ms? hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&ll=42.5970 71,-82.878799&spn=0.294179,0.7 25098&z=11&msid=10225167675567 1311847.00045daa4f7ca3e1034d8

Basically the blue route are commuter routes connecting a transit hub at Lakeside Mall to Oakland University, Wayne State, and Downtown Detroit.
Red routes are local routes that would operate from surrounding neighbourhoods to Lakeside Mall, so people can get to the mall and other business in that area, and also transfer onto the commuter routes.
Let me know what you think.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1206
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

odd commuter routes. They travel too much on the slow local roads.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 1084
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are my thoughts:

1. The blue routes are already basically served by existing SMART lines. Maybe the lines should be tweaked to look more like your plan, I don't really know too much about commuting patterns out there.

2. I don't know how practical it is to run bus lines through people's subdivisions. Seems like people would complain about the noise, and they would make the trip much more slowly than if they ran on major roads.

3. Is there enough demand for transit in that area to support that kind of service? I'm curious as to why you picked that particular area. How often would the buses run? How many buses would be dedicated to serving these routes? What would it cost? Who would pay for it? Would the ridership be sufficient to make it more practical to run fixed-route service as opposed to paratransit?

Miketoronto

Post Number: 940
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked that area as I know it very well, and it is on the edge and centred on a mall.

You have to run buses through subdivisions, because the way the roads are designed, people would not be able to walk to the main roads to catch a bus, and not have to walk like a half hour in some cases. But going into the subdivisions, you bring the bus closer to people.

These routes would at first give teens and uni students access to the mall, school, etc without having to drive. The service would probably attract adults to if it operates well.

As for demand, you have to provide service to see.

Also on the routes going through local roads. This is how service operates in Toronto's outter outter suburbs. Buses run right down people's local roads.
Service in these areas operates every 15-60 minutes depending on the time of day. So I would propose the same, maybe 30-60 minutes. The blue main routes would operate more often.

Click on the link below and you will see how buses in the eastern outter suburbs of Toronto circle through neighbourhoods, and all of them meet at the local shopping centre and also the commuter train station in this case.

http://www.durhamregiontransit .com/app/wa/doc?docId=2009

Miketoronto

Post Number: 941
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is another one. This is the route map for Milton one of the most outter suburbs of Toronto. The town has a pop of about 45,000.

Click on the link below and scroll to the bottom once it opens.
Routes like this are not the best. But in places with nothing but single family housing and winding streets like Milton, buses must go into the subdivions.
http://www.milton.ca/commserv/ transit/transit_map.pdf

There service sucks in Milton, as the service ends early and does not operate on weekends, which is rare in Greater Toronto. However they should be improving service soon.

(Message edited by miketoronto on December 10, 2008)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.