Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Granholm as energy secretary? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Thefishwrap
Username: Thefishwrap

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 3:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WSJ reports:

Meanwhile, Michigan Gov. Jennifer Granholm is a leading candidate for energy secretary, though no decision has been made, two other people close to the situation said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/ SB122893698047595329.html?mod= rss_Politics_And_Policy

Thoughts? I didn't think she would leave given the state of the state...

Gene
Username: Gene

Post Number: 134
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What am I missing? Steven Chu is the choice for energy secretary.

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 207
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, if Granholm were given the post, the green dollars surely would have flowed into MI. Here's to hoping she'll still be in Obama's ear throughout his term.

Bigb23
Username: Bigb23

Post Number: 3158
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 7:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, look what Gov. Engler did in his stint for the same post for the Energy Dept.
And then go on to lead the manufacturing lobbyists.
Please don't put him in charge of the Treasury. OOPS - too late, we already had a man of action there.

Detroitej72
Username: Detroitej72

Post Number: 775
Posted on Wednesday, December 10, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or what about Bush putting Spencer Abraham in charge of a department he was in favor of eliminating, truly a stroke of genius!

1kielsondrive
Username: 1kielsondrive

Post Number: 686
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes! Get her outta' here!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3884
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A new energy sec. was already chosen when thefishwrap made this thread.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 2917
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 11:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank god she didn't get the appointment, know i have some respect for obama.

Newport1128
Username: Newport1128

Post Number: 250
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please let her stay in Michigan! Why? Imagine Governor John Cherry for the next two years.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 5961
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 4:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is it just me, or does John Cherry remind anyone else of the character on the former TV show "Wings"... the competing airline owner Roy Biggins! :-)

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Feiger wants it. Cox wants it. Does Cherry really want it? I think Tim Skubic (sp?) should get the job!

Jnot
Username: Jnot

Post Number: 20
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 7:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even if she's not up for Energy, there's still a fair amount of talk that she might nab Labor Sec http://www.washingtonpost.com/ wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11 /30/AR2008113002039.html

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3895
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok,

Two words for who Cherry reminds me of: Wilford Brimley

I know Granholm is angling for a job (she's doing it so obviously that she comes off looking needy and pitiful, really), but because of the aforementioned way she's going about it, I don't see the administration wanting to take her. If we're to match her skills to a cabinet post, the only one she'd have had any experience in is attorney general, and that's already filled. I know that's not always a consideration for cabinet posts (matching skill with the position), but I'm having a hard time seeing her fitting in anywhere in an Obama administration, to be honest. I'm one of her supporters, and if she knows what's best for her and the state, she'll stay the hell out of Washington with all of the sh%t about to go down.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 659
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please make her Ambassador to Canada. Perfect!

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1012
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

John Cherry would make a fine Governor. While I admit I laughed a little bit with the comparison to Roy from Wings, but is that really the direction we want this forum to go? Lets assume he is going to suck because he looks like that one guy. Give me a break. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mr. Cherry several times and he is a bright and thoughtful individual. My friend's family are close friends with the Cherry's which is odd because my friends family are staunch Neo-Cons but whatever. But lets not go the way of that other site and attack people based on stupid stuff.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3898
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huh? No one has said a bad thing about Cherry. What are you talking about?

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 1013
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Please let her stay in Michigan! Why? Imagine Governor John Cherry for the next two years.

Newport1128 said that above.

maybe i overreacted a little bit. I saw the comments about cherry after reading that so I put them together and it looks like a little Cherry bashing to me.

Gene

Post Number: 138
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 8:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since when has bashing elected officials been off limits. Seems it depends on who's ox is being gored.

Has anyone noticed that Bush has been blamed for just about every problem that has been discussed on this forum with no one becoming sensitive?

Lets stop all the bashing, and look for solutions to the many problems we are facing.

And Don Cherry does look like Roy from Wings.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 1720
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting cognitive slip. When you were thinking "Wings" you typed "Don Cherry", thinking Red Wings?

Gene

Post Number: 139
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 9:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I had just checked the Wings score prior posting.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.