Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Rickenbacker car history « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mschilde
Username: Mschilde

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am beginning research on the Rickenbacker Motor car company and the Trippensee body company.
Any help or hints will be appreciated

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1089
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.rickenbackermotors. com/

Mschilde

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your response. I am the so called historian on the web page.
That is about all of the info we have at this time and I have been encouraged to start the process of assembling info for a book on the Rickenbacker car.
I am a Rickenbacker car collector
So... where do we go from here?

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2073
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Have you visited or been in touch with the Detroit Public Library's National Automotive History Collection? http://www.detroit.lib.mi.us/N AHC/

Mschilde

Post Number: 3
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for your response. I am the so called historian on the web page.
That is about all of the info we have at this time and I have been encouraged to start the process of assembling info for a book on the Rickenbacker car.
I am a Rickenbacker car collector
So... where do we go from here?

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 1739
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to this forum.

First, it would probably be best to post this question in the Old Car Factory thread that's been going on, seemingly forever.

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/38415.html?1227648328

Rickenbacker was discussed a bit on pages 2 and 20, link also in the Hall of Fame section of this site. I've been trying to get an address for their orginal location where the prototypes were made, that was supposedly housed in the former Disteel Wheel Co factory on Michigan Avenue in 1922.

Trippensee was mentioned in that thread, but I don't have it in my db on what pages it was discussed. All I have in the db is the locations of their factories on 12th St, E Milwaukee, and E Grand Blvd. Some other info might be found researching Everitt which bought them out sometime in the 1920s. who was later bought out by Briggs.

For indepth research, you're going to have to visit the NAHC at the Skilman branch library on Gratiot and Farmer, and possibly the Main Library, Burton Collection.

That's about all the info I have at hand.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2079
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mschilde: Welcome to the Forum. Since you reside out of state, perhaps a visit to Detroit along with other Rickenbacker members would be useful. You all would love the automotive history sites and museums in the area.

Lodgedodger
Username: Lodgedodger

Post Number: 1090
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mschilde,

A visit might be something you should do. In spring, Preservation Wayne has an Automotive Heritage walking tour that would take you through the Milwaukee Junction area. It's very informative. Whenever you plan to visit, give me a shout-out.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5787
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My grandfather owned a Rickenbacker, in the 20's. Somewhere my sister the family historian has photos. Beautiful beautiful car that he apparently drove like a wild man.

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1804
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any chance of seeing some of those photos here, Oldredfordette?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5790
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll write and ask her to scan them. I'd like a copy myself.

Mschilde

Post Number: 4
Posted on Saturday, December 13, 2008 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a window regulator in a '25 Rickenbacker coupe that has the name Commonsense Detroit
Were they a very small operation or did they have a factory?

Renf
Username: Renf

Post Number: 36
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The webpage below shows a fairly recent
picture of the large plant build in Detroit for
Rickenbacker.
http://www.detroit1701.org/Ric kenbacker.html

Mschilde

Post Number: 5
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for the webpage info.
I have printed the info and added it to my file.
I have been challenged to gather and try to write a history of the Rickenbacker car.
At the moment there are many questions.
An example being the Common Sense window regulator and who made it.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.