Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » I am so sad » Archive through December 12, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 133
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For our city, our state and the entire nation. People have no idea what's coming if these companies fail.

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 52
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The UAW will die, and that's all the GOP cares about. They've proven that their willing to cut down the entire economy to get at the unions.

English
Username: English

Post Number: 401
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am too, Sparty.

Who knew we'd be the Okies of the Next Great Depression? I've taught Steinbeck for years; never did I think I'd be living in the midst of one of his novels...

I can't sleep or even change into pajamas yet. I feel paralyzed. So many people in my family will be affected by this unless something happens -- my mom who broke the news to me has her job hanging in the balance.

And what galls me most is that the albatross that is our terrible national economic policy over the past 40 years is being hung around OUR neck. As if no other regions made mistakes! We never even had some of the extra chances that other places did.

And there are many, many things that Michiganders and Detroiters get right. This forum is about all those.

Please, President-elect Obama and 111th Congress, please remember us. Please.

Jtf1972
Username: Jtf1972

Post Number: 83
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work with a right-wing radio host who laughs with glee at the thought of the big 3 failing.

He drives a Honda Civic. He considers himself Pro-America.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1545
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's petty revenge politics. $700 billion for corrupt bankers no problem. Help out blue-collar, working families? Pffft, like they give to corrupt, right-wing conservatives. This could very well destroy Michigan. The state has no fallback plan (partly Democrats to blame). This isn't about just the factory workers, though. I don't think these Republicans understand just how far-reaching the auto industry is in other businesses. My girlfriend works for Sandy in Troy doing Web-based training and the like. Its ONLY client is GM. Foolish business practice? Absolutely. But you can't blame the parts suppliers. And the dealerships. Don't forget about them. But hey, at least AIG is still afloat, you know, cuz of all the jobs it provides to the 4-star resort business.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3872
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sad? No. This anger of mine is going to go somewhere. Bitterness, maybe. But sadness? No way, no how. To much time to spend getting even. :-)

But, the sadness will hit when all of my family members get let go. I have a brother that works for a GM supplier, an aunt and cousin for Chrysler...the list goes on. That will definitely be sad, but only for a minute.

Boy, times like these make me wish Coleman was back. He'd have gone to Congress and staightened out those petty MFs. The execs certainly didn't do enough to protect themselves or their workers, and I love Carl to death, but he wasn't nearly vocal enough. It seems that so many people failed us this time. Where the hell was the passion? Where was the shouting? Where are our modern day profits?

(Message edited by lmichigan on December 12, 2008)

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, 'country first'

GOD, I LOVE the republican party

Sparty06
Username: Sparty06

Post Number: 134
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan,
I too share your anger but it's tempered by my sadness. The challenge now is to funnel your anger into something productive. Keep supporting this city, state and our domestic auto industry. I see a lot of people throwing blame back and forth between the UAW, the Dems and the GOP but now is not the time for blame. There will be plenty of time for that later. Now is the time for all of us to come together, stand together and do everything in our power to support our neighbors, friends and family in this region as we cope with what could be an unimaginable economic reckoning. It's time for us to double our efforts to invest (in every sense of the word) in this glorious city. Detroit is so strong and so tough. Detroit will rise again!

(Message edited by sparty06 on December 12, 2008)

Detourdetroit
Username: Detourdetroit

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

our would be prophets are only in it for the profits...or so it would seem.

Dtwflyer
Username: Dtwflyer

Post Number: 34

English, I hear ya.

I'm scared. I really want to stay here but its looking more likely that there is no future. Every week it seems more likely I'm going to have to follow the one-way train out of Michigan.

No one cares! I have never felt so insulted in my life over the past few weeks. I don't work for one of the Big 3, but my company does a lot of work for them. I come from a family of people who have worked in the auto industry. I've worked in other industries - the people who build our cars have an enormous sense of pride, something you don't see from the same people who work in a Wal-Mart distribution center or a Home Depot.

I don't know what to expect anymore. I was optimistic in 2007. If you would have ever guessed a year ago that this state would experienced all this in 2008, there is no way you could predict this misery (other than maybe the Lions)

I can't stand these Congressmen who think they are gods and that they can do no wrong. They trash the auto industry, but on the flip side look how crooked there are.

This country needs a viable auto industry and a viable Michigan!

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1547
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, D_mcc, if we were all rich, gun-toting, anti-abortion, churchgoing donors to the GOP, I'm sure it wouldn't have turned out this way. I'm sure the Mitten not going "red" in 20 years didn't help out our cause.

Englishkills
Username: Englishkills

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You people are all fucking stupid idiots. If you didn't see 20 or 30 years ago that this is how the auto industry would end up then I really feel sorry for you and your hick families because you are all RETARDED. R.E.T.A.R.D.E/D?DD Get it yet? The rest of the country moved ahead while you stupid michigan retards stayed behind. Funny thing is all of you make fun of those in alabama and tennessee but in 2008, they have better jobs than you, they're more educated than you and they are smarter than you all around. ask any intelligent person, on the coasts, which you seem to despise so much, and we will tell you, for the last 15 years or so, the midwest has been the new south...

D_mcc

Post Number: 1680
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've spent the last three weeks fighting tooth and nail with my congressman and senators, not to mention friends and detractors of industry and unions...

Tonight, the collective sighs and fears of over 3 million american taxpayers...falls on deaf ears around the country who feel our ways are antiquated and unnecessary.

Today we fall so others my rise, December 12, 2008...the blackest of fridays...today we witness the mortal wounding of the american middle class.

Godspeed to my fellow Detroiters...

We rise again from the ashes, we hope for better things...

Tonight, I am truly depressed...

D_mcc

Post Number: 1681
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice EK...

When the walls of industry crumble, it will be because the foundations of the economy have been irreparably damaged

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4997
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

betcha Bush claims (tries to, anyway) his redemption by springing TARP money

Daddy must be on the phone reaming him bigtime

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 931
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In regards to Englishkills, if you have not been following the other thread, I will repost here:

from https://www.detroityes.com/0forum-c onditions.htm
quote:

This forum is for polite, thoughtful discussion and inquiries only. Entries that are abusive, off subject, silly, containing personal attacks, name-calling, threats, libels, illegal activities, or hate group messages will be removed without notice or explanation upon discovery. "He hit me first" excuses for name-calling or attacks will not be considered. Striking back will be treated the same as initiating an incident. If a violation occurs do not retaliate; report it by contacting the moderators by clicking the HELP button at the top of the forum. Your complaint will be kept private, your identity shielded and the offender dealt with. Making such posts can result in immediate termination of posting rights without notice or explanation.

i also recommend https://www.detroityes.com/0forumsu pport.htm

While I respect the opinions of those who may disagree with me, I think there is little doubt that Englishkills has taken this way too far.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3873
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Japan, China, and the rest are counting the seconds until they can come here, buy up the shattered pieces of the American manufacturing sector, and then totally and utterly destroy them what they don't take over for themselves.

God Bless America, that it, unless you use your hands to make things. Country first, eh? As long as that country is anywhere but this one.

Remember when parts of Atlanta and Tenessee were going dry not too long ago? I dare them to even ask us for our water, now. Don't you ever ask us for a damned thing.

D_mcc

Post Number: 1682
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scott, I don't fault the ignorant...their fall was hastened tonight as well

Downtown_lady
Username: Downtown_lady

Post Number: 455
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

R.E.T.A.R.D.E/D?DD

Oh intelligent one, what exactly is that clusterf*ck of letters and symbols? You spell a word with six periods, a slash, a question mark and two extra Ds, but we're the stupid ones?

Glowblue
Username: Glowblue

Post Number: 56
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Don't question his spelling, he went to Tufts!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 5887
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I very well may be moving overseas in the future. Washington has made it abundantly clear that they do not care about the well being of the citizens.

Never in my life have I despised this country, its politicians and much of its citizenry as I do today.

I think Reverend Wright may have been correct. I say God damn America. Better yet, Fuck off America.

Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1553
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the Free Press:
"With any congressional rescue of General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC dead, it falls to President George W. Bush to decide whether to provide an infusion of cash into the failing automakers before the end of the year, a plea several senators made urgently late Thursday."

Great. Our livelihoods are in Bush's hands? I feel better already. Thank goodness for that money we blew in Iraq. I swear, I become more of an isolationist every day.

Bobl
Username: Bobl

Post Number: 255
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sad that republican senators have chosen to lobby for foreign car makers, rather than domestic ones. A loan, rather than the giveaway that was given to the financial institutions, is a logical response to the current financial crisis. I am furious that these senators, and especially the ass from Alabama, who is on their payroll, have decided to abandon American blue collar workers. Their fathers and grandfathers who fought WWII must be turning over in their graves! Who would have thought, a generation or two ago, that the members of the United States Senate would turn their backs on their citizens like this. Shame on them, and good luck to this country when it becomes necessary to defend ourselves. Will we first contract our defense needs to our adversary before declaring war on them? The arsenal of democracy has been raped by the fat cats in the senate.

Leannam1989
Username: Leannam1989

Post Number: 132
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think the Big 3 flying to D.C. in their private jets helped their case any.

But I agree that it's not fair to give these big banks all this money, but not give it to the automakers.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for a SHERMAN to march through Alabama. And EK where do you think all the HICK FAMILIES came from? You Fuckin ASSHOLE. Them thirsty people down home can have my water when it passes through my kidneys,

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2608
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^Naw don't call him an asshole then you'll end up getting banned. Just call his bitch mother a cock sucking whore shes not a poster so its not against the rules.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 3:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry, I HOPE I didnt violate the 7 words you can,t type on DETYES, I think my Dog is gonna get a name change, Shelby don,t sit right with me now. But what a better name for a dog.

Haikoont
Username: Haikoont

Post Number: 46
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 4:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Never in my life have I despised this country, its politicians and much of its citizenry as I do today.

*sigh*

We are mocked, scorned and, ultimately, now irrelevant. The UNITED States of America has been hinting at it for decades, but now the message is clear: Hey, Michigan:

Alan55
Username: Alan55

Post Number: 2455
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reddog: " I think my Dog is gonna get a name change, Shelby don,t sit right with me now. But what a better name for a dog."

Actually, Reddog, "Shelby" would be a better name for what comes out of the end of your dog, as in, "I gotta go out in the yard and scoop up all of the Shelbys my dog has left."

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3882
Posted on Friday, December 12, 2008 - 5:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or, better yet "My dog's just taken a major Shelby in the yard." or "My dog's just left a steamy pile of Shelby in my neighbors yard."

You can also have fun with "Corker" and "Sessions" if you'd like. Those are even easier.