Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Lovers of crap chain restaurants, rejoice! » Archive through December 11, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5717
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that TGIF or something horribly like it will get space in the new Park Shelby Hotel.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2327
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 7:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they still wear flair?

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 147
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dude, get that crap out of my city. I think they should make a tax incentive for small business owners here. I say all big chains' taxes are quadrupled, and small businesses get free taxes their first 4 years.

Detroiterbychoice for mayor!

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I take it you won't be going to the grand opening of the new Tim Horton's in the Millender Center next week.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 2328
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Austin, TX fights against chains to "Keep Austin Weird".

Interesting data:

A case study by Civic Economics, a strategic planning consulting firm, found that "local merchants generate substantially greater economic impact than chain retailers." The study revealed that if someone was to spend $100 at a chain like Borders, only $13 would be funneled back into the Austin economy. However, if you spent $100 at a local business such as Waterloo Records, about $45 would go back to fuel the Austin economy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K eep_Austin_Weird

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 341
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the "chain-o-phobes" in principal, but in this economy, and especially in Detroit, we have no option but to welcome anyone willing to do business in the city with wide open arms. Let me repeat... we have no option.

So please, if you want to support only local establishments with your money, go ahead, I encourage you, but please do not self-righteously claim that the city would be better off if these guys did not locate here. Jeez, 533,000 people lost their jobs last month, and we want to criticize a company for hiring people and paying taxes. Crazy!

Cman710
Username: Cman710

Post Number: 579
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While local businesses are great and perhaps help the local economy more than chains, given the economy, I think we should be willing to accept any business willing to invest in the city.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you mean the Fort Shelby or the Park Shelton?

The Fort Shelby already has a restraunt, Finn and Porter, as well as a coffee shop. I doubt it would need another. A Friday's by the DIA while I would not like it, it would legitimize the area to the tourist. This is similar to what Fairlane just did by adding a wing of restraunts like P.F. Changs. I'm sure they are hoping most of the business would be tourist or hotel business to draw more people into the mall.

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with the "chain-o-phobes" in principal, but in this economy, and especially in Detroit, we have no option but to welcome anyone willing to do business in the city with wide open arms. Let me repeat... we have no option.

So please, if you want to support only local establishments with your money, go ahead, I encourage you, but please do not self-righteously claim that the city would be better off if these guys did not locate here. Jeez, 533,000 people lost their jobs last month, and we want to criticize a company for hiring people and paying taxes. Crazy!

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Would the "Anti-Chainers" also discourage non-Detroiters from supporting Detroit-based chains?

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is PLENTY of room in Detroit for both Chains, and independent businesses. Besides the 2 compliment each other, they don't compete.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, at least chains are willing to open in crap declining cities.

YAY! (downtown) Detroit's finally getting a chain dining restaurant!

Welcome to the 1970s! :-)

(Message edited by DetroitRise on December 11, 2008)

Bike4beer
Username: Bike4beer

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I don't like chain anything I don't see this is a bad thing at all. There are people that only eat at chain restaurants and if they don't find it downtown they will go somewhere else and find one. The more people you get in the downtown the better. If that means a TGIF, Outback or whatever then so be it. It may even help the local shops.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, because Detroit is so overrun with chain restaurants now.

Izzyindetroit
Username: Izzyindetroit

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I heard that TGIF..."

DAMN! I was hoping that it would be an Applebee's so I would finally have a place to take my girlfriend for our anniversary.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their website doesn't say a thing about this . . . http://doubletree1.hilton.com/ en_US/dt/hotel/DTTLFDT-Doublet ree-Guest-Suites-Fort-Shelby-D etroit-Downtown-Michigan/index .do?ctyhocn=DTTLFDT

Click on Dining, and all you get is the steakhouse.

Texorama
Username: Texorama

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And why did my Post Number just revert to 1?

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 5
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And why did my Post Number just revert to 1?

Looks like it happened to everyone who recently posted on this message board. It's a sign of the apocalypse. Where's Danny when you need his wisdom?

Wally
Username: Wally

Post Number: 6
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I heard that TGIF or something horribly like it will get space in the new Park Shelby Hotel.

What a deal breaker. I will definitely not be vacationing there, 8 miles from my house now!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Employment
Tax dollars
A place to eat for people that prefer chains
Additional retail space filled.
Corporate dollars to help weather sloe periods (something independents struggle with)

Exactly what case can someone make against this being a positive thing. If you don't like chains, don't go but let's nto make it like this is a bad thing.

Any strong downtown has chains and local establishments. Think of the benefit Hard Rock has had on downtown and people willing to stop for a drink or meal after a game as opposed to going home.

Don't go if you don't like it but certainly don't bitch about a business coming into the city.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys are idiots...this is like saying "I dont want a white person in my city." Granted that is on a differant level,but the point remains...

A chain restaurant, as stale as it may be to some of us, is still a step in the right direction. You know why people dont want to come to Detroit...because there are no familiar surroundings!

Now I am all about supporting the locally owned places. My favorite bars, restaurants, even movie theater are not chains. However, if a chain will entice people to visit my city and spend their money here, then I would be very welcoming to them.

You know what company has the single largest impact on redevelopment? McDonalds. If a McDonalds will help improve my neighborhood(which it has) I will take it. Nobody is forcing you to eat there, but you need to realize that this is a positive step for the city when chains want in on the market.

Quick list of reputable chains doing good business in the downtown Detroit market:
Jimmy Johns
Mr. Pita
Hard Rock Cafe
Salad Creations

You guys really want nothing instead of these? Im all for the local guys, but these places are important to a quality balance.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True Jt1. I guess I shouldnt be bitching about business coming into the city. But im anti-establishment, so its in my blood to protest the capitalist bourgeoisie.

Detroit is the quintesential spot to "Keep Weird". I think that if detroit kept that attitude towards the downtown area like austin does, then it would thrive regardless of the economic situation. It would be a slow start, but it would work. No matter how poor I am I would always be going out for some beer, tacos, and amy's ice cream

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^Don't forget Johnny Rockets & (I guess...) Starbucks. :-)

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least it isn't Applebees.

Bob
Username: Bob

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A healthy downtown has a good mix of chain and unique restaurants. Look at Chicago? We should feel good if a chain feels downtown Detroit is worth the investment.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We can have chain places and still be unique. Any other though process screams ignorance, in my opinion.

Its the same attitude you guys often take with architecture...claiming that new buildings suck because they take away from our historic buildings. Now assuming you are not talking about tearing stuff down, both old and new can exist for the benefit off all.

Is all about frame of mind. If you want whats best for the city, you have to want at least SOME chain activity. For the record, if you are anti chains, we can go back to having an empty WESTIN Book Cadillac.

Thejesus
Username: Thejesus

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jesus people. It's not as if Detroit is running low on precious retail space or anything.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think in Detroit's case you might be "keeping it weird" and "keeping it broke."

Chain's aren't perfect, but they're part of a truly urban area. That, and it's more jobs that "Detroiters can do" as the politicians like to say.

I hardly ever go to Hard Rock or Au Bon Pain - and except for my minor Starbucks addition, I rarely go. But outsiders? That's where they always want to go. It gets people in the tent, and then they start exploring.

Hell, I just had lunch with someone who works in the Rencen for the past 8 years and who had no idea Eph's existed, never had been to Sweet Lorraine's across the street, and you can forget about knowing what the Detroiter is or the New Parthenon. She was all excited to tell the rest of her floor because no one there knew of any of the places to go, and some of them warned her she could get mugged (what? on the bridge over to the Millender Centre? PUH-LEASE if you're that idiot who said that who happens to be reading this).

I think more chains would draw some of the worker bees out of their hives more often. People go where they're most familiar.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One way to look at it is that if a chain restaurant is interested in Detroit now, after nearly two decades of avoiding it, then Detroit must be doing better than most give it credit.

quote:

A healthy downtown has a good mix of chain and unique restaurants. Look at Chicago?

I'm not sure about Chicago, but here in NYC most people lament the chain restaurants. They are largely supported by tourists, not the locals (or even the suburbanites :-)).

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Posted on Thursday, December 11, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i heard the theory purported by royal oak's planning commission, and i like it. they largely support locally owned businesses, and wish to not see royal oak homogenized into anytown, usa. however, they support having a minimal number of chain stores available to serve as a "base camp" for people not familiar with the community. the way i heard it explained, was that people could come into town, and go to starbuck's, for example - a familiar place to most people - then venture and explore less familiar digs from there. it made perfect sense to me. i guess it would be like going to a party where you didn't know anyone, but at least one of your friends would be there to meet you.