Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Shades of things to come? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Edgar_rhode
Username: Edgar_rhode

Post Number: 20
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

link to an article about the civil unrest ( aka riots ) in greece.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worl d/2008/dec/14/greece-riots-you th-poverty-comment

sound familiar?

Those of us who live here - who have seen how frayed the fabric of public order can become - now know, in no uncertain terms, that the orgy of violence that has gripped this beautiful land masks a deeper malaise. It is a sickness that starts not so much at the top but at the bottom of Greek society, in the ranks of its troubled youth. For many these are a lost generation, raised in an education system that is undeniably shambolic and hit by whopping levels of unemployment (70 per cent among the 18-25s) in a country where joblessness this month jumped to 7.4 per cent. If they can find work remuneration rarely rises above €700 (this is, after all, the self-styled €700 generation), never mind the number of qualifications it took to get the job. Often polyglot PhD holders will be serving tourists at tables in resorts. One in five Greeks lives beneath the poverty line. Exposed to the ills of Greek society as never before, they have also become increasingly frustrated witnesses of allegations of corruption implicating senior conservative government officials and a series of scandals that have so far cost four ministers their jobs.

( NOTE :: conservative in greece does NOT equal conservative in U.S. terms. there are some similarities and some differences. honestly i don't think it matters who is in charge if the underlying problems exist as described )

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 211
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You loot, I shoot.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 2090
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh...

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 430
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sigh!

Urbanophile
Username: Urbanophile

Post Number: 11
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I don't know that it will come to riots, I do believe that the economic malaise that has gripped a large part of the country which is manufacturing dependent is not healthy for our civil society. Clearly, if a large segment of the population is left out of our progress as a nation, that's bad news.

Flanders_field
Username: Flanders_field

Post Number: 1387
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You loot, I shoot.

You?

More likely, "they"

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 249
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Mr. Hephaestus, fire up the forge and fetch me several thunderbolts"---Zeus

Bosch
Username: Bosch

Post Number: 25
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a number of reports from the west side of gangs of zombies terrorizing the neighborhoods!

Chuckjav
Username: Chuckjav

Post Number: 1241
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bosch...Damn those flesh eating bastards!
I am running out of .45 cal (sterling jacket); soon I shall become their next meal.

Let it be said that I died not in vain, but that I defended our fair city to the end...against these undead and fetid souls.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.