Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » Old gas station: Cadieux and Kercheval « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 438
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I ran into this neat old porcelain-enamel tile gas station yesterday but my online hunt isn't going so well. Does anyone know the history of this little gas station? Is it still open for business? It looked to be in service but there were no cars at the pumps when I was there. I can't even find any photos. Thanks.

Tarkus
Username: Tarkus

Post Number: 567
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is still open and selling gas. It is owned by friends of my family.
It has been around in the same family since the 30's. It was originally a Standard Oil. Then it became a Gulf.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1572
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's another station of this ilk on the corner of Bagley and W. Grand Boulevard. Really a neat building and in decent shape. Not sure what the cleanup would be for it, though (leaky tank or whatever).

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 968
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you need any front end work done at the station, they have really good mechanics

Busterwmu
Username: Busterwmu

Post Number: 442
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the info. Still have not been able to locate any photo of it. How cool that it has been in a family for decades? I don't have much reason to be in that neighborhood, but should I find myself there again, I may just have to patronize them with a fill up :-)

Detroitderek
Username: Detroitderek

Post Number: 90
Posted on Monday, December 15, 2008 - 1:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a series of books about Michigan History that you can get at Borders, etc, that are $20. They have a few about Sanders, Vernors, etc but they also have a series about cities. If I remember correctly that gas station is on the cover of the Grosse Pointe Book.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.