Discuss Detroit » Archives - January 2008 » News and Free Press phasing out print? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 51
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was reading the WSJ this weekend and came across an article stating that on Tuesday The News and Free Press are expected to announce that they are doing away with home delivery on all days but Thursday, Friday and Sunday. On those days they will sell an abridged paper at newstands where stories will direct people to online content. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

http://online.wsj.com/article/ SB122911296051802459.html

According to the article, Detroit would be the first metro area to take these steps. Seems to me like it will turn off a lot of people who are used to siiting down to their daily paper. Hmm.

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1571
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Old news:

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/164578.html?1229225880

Providence
Username: Providence

Post Number: 52
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry! Missed it in my search. Thanks for the link.

(Message edited by Providence on December 14, 2008)

Townonenorth
Username: Townonenorth

Post Number: 461
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got some news for the Freep. If they think that they will just cut my news delivery guy out of the picture, and expect to keep my cash I JUST forwarded to them for the subscription, they are sadly mistaken.

How can these delivery guys make any money at 3 days a week? Maybe someone can enlighten me?

Rhymeswithrawk
Username: Rhymeswithrawk

Post Number: 1574
Posted on Sunday, December 14, 2008 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"How can these delivery guys make any money at 3 days a week? "

They can't.
But the Internet is killing off newspapers by stripping them of ad revenue (remember pre-Craig's List when classified sections used to be huge?), so they are desperate for any way they can to stanch the bleeding. Considering that without the Freep, we'd still have Kwame as mayor, I'm willing to support it in its attempts to stay in business, even if some delivery guys get laid off.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.