Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Who's tracking the Peregrine Falcons now? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jb3
Username: Jb3

Post Number: 268
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 9:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know this has been discussed before, but it's that time of year again and i haven't been able to find any updated information on the two falcons i see hunting around downtown. The DNR page is at least six years outdated and the blog tracking the Macomb falcons hasn't been updated since last year.

http://www.geocities.com/macom b_audubon/Falcon_Page_2003.htm

Anyone have any info on the falcons in the D? Where the eyries are located? Who's watching to make sure some building maintenance crew doesn't 'pesticide' the nest?...any info would be appreciated. I read Judy Yerkey retired in 05.

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=4497

Detroitjim
Username: Detroitjim

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the falcons late last fall flying around the Whittier.
Unfortunately I've been unable to return there this spring to check if they have returned.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 8335
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was one in the alley Jefferson and Van Dyke about 3 weeks ago.

It grabbed a sparrow off the ground and flew off towards the river.

Jb3

Post Number: 269
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They have returned! There is at least two that i've noticed flying around the Guardian Building. I saw another yesterday around 13 mile and Rochester.

Jams, how have you been?

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2621
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a pair nesting on top of the incinerator on Mt Clemens High School. I was there for work and noticed the two coming and going. They usually hang on the old County Building.

Text description

Text description

Text description

6nois
Username: 6nois

Post Number: 706
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is also a pair on the Clocktower at UDM McNichols Campus. In the morning I see them flying over the campus.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 507
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, Mauser765, those are turkey vultures.

Tony_box_42
Username: Tony_box_42

Post Number: 137
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am meeting a photographer tomorrow at St.Joe's.
He spotted a pair nesting in the tower.
I will let you know.

Crystal
Username: Crystal

Post Number: 162
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Mt. Clemens photo most likely shows the vultures courting or roosting, but not nesting. Vultures nest on the ground.

Check out this falcon page. It looks like falcons nested at the Fisher Building in 2007.

Judy Yerkey is wonderful, gives great programs, and has tirelessly tracked peregrine falcon reintroduction in Michigan.

http://www.geocities.com/macom b_audubon/Falcon_Page_2003.htm

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 2623
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 4:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Uh, Mauser765, those are turkey vultures."

Hahaha !

Then I guess the falcons would still be on the Macomb County building.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5083
Posted on Saturday, April 12, 2008 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a page about the Mount Clemens falcons but it's a bit outdated and their falcon cam doesn't seem to be operating anymore.

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/ peregrine/index.htm

They still have some very nice closeup videos though!

(Message edited by Jimaz on April 12, 2008)

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 141
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just returned from St. Joe's( by way of Lafayette's). D.N.R. was there on Wednesday.
Confirmed Falcons nesting in the tower. I was denied access. Ladder to the tower is old and unstable. They are also concerned too many visitors would scare the birds away. They are there.

Crystal

Post Number: 164
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 3:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excellent news about the falcons, Tony_box_42. Are the eggs in the nest?

Jb3

Post Number: 271
Posted on Sunday, April 13, 2008 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Tony!!

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 283
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 1:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just noticed that Freep has a falcon update story up:

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=/20080416/NEWS04/ 804160339

Actually, just noticed that the last link posted above has been updated too.

(Message edited by yupislyr on April 16, 2008)

Jimaz

Post Number: 5117
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Actually, just noticed that the last link posted above has been updated too.

Yes, the Falcon Web Cam link now says "Coming Soon." I think it was a 404 error the other day. They seem to be working on reinstalling the camera!

Aoife
Username: Aoife

Post Number: 54
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 3:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How big are their territories? I swear we saw one last night near 7 Mile and Harper. It was the biggest bird I have ever seen outside of PBS.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 247
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seen two on the hunt this afternoon on schoolcraft 2 blocks west schaeffer. Two months ago I was parking my car near schaeffer and michigan and I thought I saw a big cat about half a block away sitting in a alley. It turned out to be a huge falcon, As I watched it took to flight carrying a lifeless squirrel, very beautiful birds.

Crystal

Post Number: 168
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe what you saw was a red-tailed hawk. Red-tails are relatively large and quite common.

A falcon's prey selection would most likely be another bird, and the prey would be taken in flight.

Karl_jr
Username: Karl_jr

Post Number: 248
Posted on Wednesday, April 16, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very likely could have been, but they still were awesome!

Jb3

Post Number: 284
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the update Yupislyr! Soooo, we've got falcons living in Old Main (awesome!!if i were a falcon, that's is definitely one of my choices, also nice to hear that they don't particularly need a twenty story building in witch to nest) Also in the Whittier apartments.

I too am curious as to how far their territories reach before another falcon could claim territory. What's the rule of thumb for how many falcons can be reasonably sustained per square mile?

Jimaz

Post Number: 5136
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From Wikipedia's Peregrine Falcon article:
quote:

The Peregrine Falcon is territorial during the breeding season; nesting pairs are usually more than 1 km (0.6 miles) apart, and often much farther, even in areas with large numbers of pairs.

Crystal

Post Number: 171
Posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I seem to remember that a Peregrine falcon's home range is about 10 square miles. A USFWS reference I just read gives 6 to 16 square miles as the home range.

Ornithologists can also estimate the range by identifying the prey (legs, beaks, etc.) left under a roosting site. By knowing the location of the prey's habitat, and knowing the falcon had to fly there to take the prey, they can calculate the range.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 527
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've had a pair of birds (either hawks or falcons) eating sparrows in my yard and my neighbors.
my neighbor feeds the birds and the we had to what I believed to be hawks coming in and grabbing the sparrows when I informed the little old lady next door about this she got upset and stopped feeding them . I live in south St Clair Shores

Crystal

Post Number: 172
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was a wild bird rehabber for several years, and we got many calls from people who wanted us to trap or take the Cooper's hawks and falcons that dined at bird feeders. We explained that birds of prey have their place in the food chain.

It is good to support birds of prey for several reasons, not the least of which is they help keep the rodent population in control.

Mama_jackson
Username: Mama_jackson

Post Number: 338
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duh, if you are feeding the birds the corn mix, you're getting a bunch of birds that don't need help to fend for themselves, like sparrows and starlings. That very same thing is on going right next door to my home with my neighbor here in Flint. We've had Peregrine Falcons, Coopers Hawk, and just recently an owl checking out the tweets at the neighbors bird feeders. Her feeder is like an Old Country Buffet for birds of prey. And those stupid birds are crapping all over my outdoor furniture and they are eating the butterfly's I used to try and bait into my yard. Ah, life in the city.

What folks need to do if they don't want the birds of prey at their feeders, is stop feeding the birds for a week or two. Then get some good bird feed like, safflower* or niger and feed the song birds. The birds of prey hopefully will have moved onto another feeder that is attaching the sparrows and starlings.

*Edited to correct content*

(Message edited by mama_jackson on April 19, 2008)

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 144
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 2:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a nice chat with the care taker at St. Joe's today. The birds are in the highest and narrowest peak of the steeple.The wooden ladder leading to that point is 135 years old and unstable.I asked if the D.N.R. confirmed eggs in the nest. He said they didn't take a chance going up. I guess we just wait and watch for signs of chicks.How is it that a couple of "Dumb" birds fascinate us "Sophisticated Intelligent " humans.

Crystal

Post Number: 174
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great news about the nest at St. Joe's.

Does the caretaker know if the parent birds are wild or introduced? Can anyone see if the parent birds have any leg bands?

Tony_box_42

Post Number: 146
Posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Todays St. Joe's parish bulletin." Representatives from the State have been here.They climbed the tower,photographed the nest and counted the eggs". No mention of how many eggs. I am assuming the birds are wild.The caretaker was not available for me ask about bands. I will keep trying.

Crystal

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, May 03, 2008 - 9:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are reports of a pair of peregrine falcons checking out the 17-story Jackson County Tower Building in Jackson. Photos by a fellow bird watcher at:

http://www.grovestreet.com/Pic Page.do?id=1270093

http://www.grovestreet.com/Pic Page.do?id=1270094

Crystal

Post Number: 202
Posted on Saturday, May 24, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in from an acquaintance in Jackson:

"It has been confirmed that there is a nest on the Northeast Corner of the County Building. Also, those in the know, tell me that there were two young falcons with the parents last year. This is very exciting news for the City of Jackson."

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 143
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 7:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am pretty sure there was peregrine falcon in the Fisher Woodlot and owls too. I feed the birds (I am a gardener there)on the island and had to stop for one year since the falcons were killing my birds. They really liked the pheasants. The falcons nested in a hugh dead tree. Developers clear cut the land and I haven't seen them since. The other bird I haven't seen in two years are blue herons and terns.

Last summer I had a thrill when I saw two bald eagles circling the island. I know they live on Peche Isle but this was my first sighting.

This year my feeders have attracted Baltimore Orioles, Red Wing Blackbirds, Goldfinches and many other more ordinary birds. I also feed pheasants. I used to feed the birds at my home in EEV but our neighbors cat was killing them off at a great rate so we stopped. I miss my birds feeders.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 240
Posted on Tuesday, May 27, 2008 - 8:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When leaving the St. Clair Shores Memorial Day Parade on Sunday, we saw a falcon flying overhead with two youngsters flying around her. I have no idea where they came from, but it sure was a great sight to see watching the young ones learn to fly.

Crystal

Post Number: 203
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some photos of the Jackson City falcons, taken by Don Henise:

http://www.grovestreet.com/jsp /picview.jsp?album=87669

Jb3

Post Number: 333
Posted on Friday, May 30, 2008 - 10:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Crystal!
Very cool!

Jb3

Post Number: 361
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haven't seen any of the big birds downtown in about two months. We had four flying around in the downtown in March/April.

Crystal

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will try to find out more about Detroit's falcons.

I was surprised to read this morning that New York City has 17 breeding pairs of peregrine falcons.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06 /15/nyregion/thecity/15falc.ht ml?_r=1&ref=thecity&oref=slogi n

Jimaz

Post Number: 5578
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 11:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Macomb Falcon Cam is back up.

http://www.macombcountymi.gov/ peregrine/webcam.htm

I had to allow an activex install before it would work. There's nothing going on there at the moment. I wish they'd clean that window!

Areed
Username: Areed

Post Number: 2
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone who would like current information regarding the nesting of Peregrine Falcons in SE Michigan can visit the Macomb Audubon website http://www.geocities.com/macom b_audubon/ and click onto the latest installment of Peregrine News by Kariann Anderson, SE Michigan Peregrine Falcon Coordinator for the DNR (she took over the position from Judy Yerkey and has been monitoring all sites since 2005).

Regarding a previous post: yes the DNR did in fact investigate a potential nesting site at St. Josephs Catholic Church in Detroit, however NO such nest existed (NO photo of eggs as suggested in a previous post). The two peregrines (one unbanded and one originating from Rochester New York) have a strong pair bond and the DNR hopes that in 2009 they will indeed have a nest.

Regarding a previous post: the DNR did in fact clean the window prior to turning on the webcam for Mt. Clemens, however since this time the young have indeed dirtied the window and visibility has worsen. The DNR will not DISTURB a nest site just to clean a window, the young chicks are almost fully feathered and opening the window could cause premature flight.

Current nest sites in SE Michigan are as follows: Blue Water Bridge, Port Huron. Macomb County Building, Mt. Clemens. Whittier Hotel, Detroit. AT&T Building, Detroit. Fisher Building, Detroit. UofD Mercy Bell Tower, Detroit. Zug Island, Detroit. DTE Energy Plant, Monroe

Jimaz

Post Number: 5608
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fixing that link: http://www.geocities.com/macom b_audubon/.

Areed

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for fixing the link :-)

Crystal

Post Number: 212
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is an update today from the Blue Water Audubon Society:

The Blue Water Bridge Peregrine chicks have fledged the nest and are out and about now. They have started to fly on their own and are beginning to chase prey. The adults are busy trying to keep them fed and teach them about life. The next week or two should be quite entertaining as the three chicks learn to hone their hunting skills. The best spot to watch is just north of the two bridges where there are few viewing obstacles but they are flying all around and back and forth to Canada, so they could be most anywhere up there.

Areed

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can view the Mt. Clemens banding on YouTube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=80G toswGSNI

Areed

Post Number: 7
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Response to Blueidone - not likely that you saw young peregrines flying on May 27th, in Michigan Peregrine juveniles start to fly mid June. Maybe you saw a Peregrine with two Kestrals trying to defend their territory?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.