Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit schools face $45M deficit « Previous Next »
Archive through June 18, 2008Detroitteacher30 06-18-08  8:38 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 268
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The DPS still has infrastructure (including administrative staff) for a student population that is much larger than the population it has, and it was never efficient anyway.

I believe this is one of those cases where the only sensible thing to do is eliminate it and start over. There is no evidence of the capability of reform from within.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 535
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I believe this is one of those cases where the only sensible thing to do is eliminate it and start over. There is no evidence of the capability of reform from within.

Completely agree with you, however, wasn't that what the first state takeover was supposed to do? How'd that go, again?

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's almost as bad as the military accounting fiasco. Lets see, where did that billion dollar shipment of weapons go to.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 3006
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

To echo lefty... both papers say Four HUNDRED MILLION dollar deficit..not 45 Million. WTF?

The $45million deficit was for the school year ending now. The $400 million is the projected deficit for next year.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 2268
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Until education gets it rightful place as the most important factor nothing will change.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 707
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The privatization of DDOT can save the city of Detroit over $70 Million per year while at the same time provide more and better bus service. This money then would be freed up to provide more money for education.

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 165
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lets give the new superintendant a chance. I think she is as shocked as anyone over the waste in spending. She appears to be honest in reporting her findings. Lets see if she can get a handle on the graft and waste in the system.

Teacher competency should also be an issue. I agree that most teachers sincerely care about their students. It doesn't follow that they are all competent. We raised two sons. Some of their education was public, some private. Inspiring teachers were few and far between. I am deeply grateful to those teachers that impacted our sons world in so many positive ways. I also need to say that there were more then a few who were serious nutcases that needed to be removed from their positions. More in GPP than any other community we lived in. Although Northville Middle School comes in as a close second.

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 78
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The parents are not guilt free either. Many of these students carry their problems right into the schools and many people label them "problem children" when in actuality they are just a product of what their parents are doing. A lot of parents don't teach the value in education and you find many students skipping school. I went to King H.S. and saw it everyday even though I was in an accelerated program.

Detroitteacher
Username: Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1298
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think there needs to be some trimming from the top. We don't need all those people in central administration. They also need to save a few bucks and get out of the rented facilities and make a new home in some of our closed schools. If the buildings were good enough for the kids, then they should be good enough for central admin.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7418
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 9:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a solution!

PRIVATIZE THE DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS IMMEDIATELY! With private companies hiring new teachers and administrators, It would save the trouble district over $45 million dollars in one year. Plus have extra money from private companies for fix up broken school buildings, restore sports and music education, get a school nurse, provide new textbooks enforce grade requirements for trouble students, provide better adult education and voc-tech programs.

Crumbled_pavement
Username: Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 420
Posted on Friday, June 27, 2008 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Freep said:
quote:

Report blasts finances, leaders of DPS
Warnings went unheeded, deficits were hidden, it says
BY CHASTITY PRATT DAWSEY and PEGGY WALSH-SARNECKI • FREE PRESS EDUCATION WRITERS • June 27, 2008

Detroit Public Schools had hidden deficits in its operating budget for at least the last four years, helping create the $400-million hole it must dig itself out of, according to a draft report by a panel of outside school finance experts and obtained by the Free Press.

The district also had only "pockets of competence" among its financial staff, hasn't followed basic accounting procedures and the current administration has done little to address those problems, according to the document, prepared by Washington-based Council of the Great City Schools.

The Detroit School Board is to vote tonight on a budget and deficit-elimination plan that would address the shortfall, but the report notes there is "little long-term planning" to guide the process, according to the draft report.

The reviewers who visited DPS in March and April found conflicting information being reported to the state and a history of overstaffing teachers for the past four years.

Breakdowns in communication among management now "impede the resolutions of problems," reviewers said.

Functions as basic as job descriptions and expectations are lacking, and the district has a "culture of mistrust," low morale and high anxiety, the report says.

Michael Casserly, executive director for CGCS, said the looming deficit was the most pressing issue among the findings. He was reluctant to comment, saying the draft is "very preliminary" and could take weeks to complete.

The management problems are "profound" and decades old, requiring years of work, he said.

"I see the superintendent as doing everything that she can to address the problems as fast as she knows about them," Casserly said. "What we're doing at the moment is trying to get her the information she needs so she is aware of what's broken and what's not."

Superintendent Connie Calloway invited CGCS to review finances, facilities and information technology operations. She credited the experts with discovering that hundreds of teachers on payroll were not within the budget.

About 611 teachers were on payroll but were not within the budget, creating a deficit of $50 million, the report states.

The report did note that as of March, when the team visited, current top leadership "had not responded to warnings of a pending financial situation, developed a plan or taken action."

Steve Wasko, spokesman for the school district, said the report will provide information that DPS officials will review and refute, if necessary.

"These reports will be vital tools as we work to put processes and systems in place where they were either lacking or nonexistent," he said.

Richard Hinds, a retired former chief financial officer of the Miami-Dade County Public Schools who was on the review team, said it found DPS's major problem to be the debt that was compounding on an annual basis.

Hinds said Calloway "inherited some things, but she contributed to some things, too. She authorized a more liberal staffing policy this year and that really caused the deficit."

The problem boils down to not being able to control costs, said Hinds, who has been on about 50 review teams. The chief financial officer and senior staff did not seem to grasp the depth of the problem, he said.

"They were there long enough. They should have picked up on this," Hinds said. "The problem I've found in Detroit Public Schools is not the rank and file, but the senior management. That's where the void was.

"I'm fairly certain the superintendent was not aware of this deteriorating situation."

In recent weeks, Calloway has come under fire from board members for not responding to prior warnings about the need to lay off teachers in the middle of the school year in response to declining enrollment.

On the other hand, the district's true financial picture has been masked for years by short-term borrowing and moving money from one fund to another, the CGCS found.

The CGCS reviewers also are to look at the district's procurement and transportation operations after completing the current report.

Tom White, executive director of Michigan School Business Officials, called DPS's financial situation critical.

"At this point, at the very least, you should be calling people together and have a come to Jesus meeting and say, 'Folks, this is the proverbial fork in the road,' " White said. "One of them is the complete demise of the school district and one is to slog through a lot of hardship."

Borrowed from http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080627/NEW S01/806270331

Might not be such a bad idea to completely dismantle DPS and start all over again.

(Message edited by Crumbled_pavement on June 27, 2008)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1460
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 1:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bring in the nuns and let them whack the information out of them.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1302
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 9:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a link to the entire report by the auditors.
http://www.freep.com/uploads/p dfs/2008/06/dps_docs0627.pdf

This isn't really anything new to teachers, we've been saying what's in this report for YEARS! I really do think that they need to get rid of teachers who aren't teaching (or don't come to work). We have one teacher (for example) that works for about 3 weeks and is off the rest of the school year because of an "injury" sustained on the job. He's done this the last 6 years! The injury is to his arm, yet he still plays baseball. Other teachers in his department have to sub for him, none of them are regular subs in his class, therefore his students are receiving a crap education.

Gaz
Username: Gaz

Post Number: 310
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 12:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The good teachers and the kids are the victims here. Where ever the money is going, it's not going where it needs to.

Detroit is in such trouble, with its' rotting infastructure and no jobs/no opportunities. These kids going to public schools don't stand a chance in the real world as things stand.

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 422
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What? The state had control over DPS for six years and they did nothing to correct the issues that are going on in the school system?

Source: http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20080628/NEW S01/80628037

Freep said:
quote:

Sen. Irma Clark-Coleman, D-Detroit, called it a step toward a state takeover of the city’s schools, as happened in 1999. During that time, the school board was replaced with a mayor-appointed board and chief executive officer Kenneth Burnley was hired with authority to make all decisions without board approval.

State control lasted through 2005, after which control reverted to a local elected board.

I reluctantly agree with Mike Bishop that the DPS system should be privatized. It's obvious nothing else is working.

Mwilbert

Post Number: 302
Posted on Saturday, June 28, 2008 - 11:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have a lot of faith in privatization, but I have no faith in the current system. Ignoring the problems in the schools themselves, it doesn't appear that the current school administration can even construct a legitimate budget. There has to be a better option that what is in place now.

Titancub
Username: Titancub

Post Number: 124
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alot of great ideas on here that sadly won't come to be as teacher unions CONTINUALLY get in the way of any type of reform or progress.

Figure out who the good teachers are and reward them relative to the poor/no-show teachers that harm the system? Impossible! The power and money grab has the unions making decisions which are in their best interest and not in the best interest of the kids of Detroit -- absolutely sad.

You gotta hand it though to the good teachers out there who stick it out despite all the challenges and demoralizing things out there, I do salute all of you.

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 258
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If DPS is privatized, won't it be "sold" to one of Kwame's cronies?

Detroitteacher for Superintendent!

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 423
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Retroit said:
quote:

If DPS is privatized, won't it be "sold" to one of Kwame's cronies?

Why would that be? Or are you trying to be funny? And what I meant is the whole DPS system needs to be done away with which only leaves charter and private schools, thus privatizing the school system in Detroit.

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 151
Posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone happen to see this from Newt Gingrich?? Man he doesn't make us look to good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =oNM6HHJTUMM

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 424
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Newt said something before, I think about a year ago, that I agreed with heavily. However, it seems in this snippet he is playing partisan politics, which I blame for far more problems in this country than so called liberals. In fact, Newt suggested paying kids to go to school and get a diploma. That sounds as liberal as it gets. First, the money has to come from taxes which equals redistribution of wealth. How can he support that while thumbing his nose up at "liberals." Simply, people need to get over the fact that everyone is not the same color, sex, wealth, political persuasion, religion, etc, etc, etc, and talk about solutions.

Firstandten
Username: Firstandten

Post Number: 228
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 1:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I feel Ms Calloway is doing the best she can with the bad hand she was dealt. The budget she put out there is fiscally right but not politically right.

The board members most of whom have higher political goals will see there careers go down in flames if this budget passes. One of the reasons the deficits have been hidden and schools not closed when they should is because no one has the political courage to do what must be done.

All of this clear out central office staff and all our financial problems will be solved is laughable, if you cleared out all of central staff which in itself is unrealistic would barely make a dent in the deficit.

In the Great cities report it said that based on student population there needs to be only 8 high schools and we have something like 26. The report said it was too many teachers on staff, and it just goes thru a whole host of systemic problems the district has. Now we haven't even gotten to the instructional aspect of DPS.

As much as the community may not want to come to grips with this there has to be some major changes within the DPS that the community is not going to like , its going to hurt... a lot.

Mwilbert

Post Number: 306
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You can't run a school system without administrators, but the administrative line items as I read them (not just the central administration) of the budget are over $200 million, so there is probably some significant cutting possible.

On the other hand, there is no question that lots of stuff needs to be closed--there is way too much capacity for the current student population.

(Message edited by mwilbert on June 30, 2008)

Danny

Post Number: 7443
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 7:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the last stand for DPS? They must come up with a proposal to solve the $400 million dollar deficit or face a possible state takeover.
I wondering those folks in those EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS are watching the event. For they are going to get 50% more students from Detroit by September. They would probably chapping their hands right now.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1305
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 9:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Prior to the state takeover the last time, DPS had a surplus of funds (although not much of that was filtered into the classroom). After the takeover, there was a deficit of 200 million. I don't think a state takeover would be any better this time around.

Also, in yesterday and today's Free Press, it stated that the district may shut down today unless a budget is approved. There is no talk of laying off central administration, which really needs an overhaul. I don't see how they can trim teachers when, in the fall, I am anticipating the same debacle as last year...starting off with over 80 kids in each class (which is leveled off to just about 50 right after count day).

**I can't remember where I read about the takeover figures or I would provide a link.

Firstandten

Post Number: 229
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DT- I guess in some schools there is a surplus of teachers and in others(such as yours) there isn't.
But overall according to the report there's way too many teachers based on the student population.
Also with all of the creative accounting going on I really have my doubts as,if there was ever a surplus. Even if there was, when your dealing with multi-millions of dollars it doesn't take long for a surplus to turn into a deficit, sometimes within one school year.

Danny

Post Number: 7449
Posted on Monday, June 30, 2008 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitteacher,

I want you to become Superintendent for Detroit Public Schools. You will clean up the board mess, put student in the classrooms learning the ABC's to E=MC2, fix up poor collapsing buildings, get parents involve to help their children learn and bring more textbooks, math, science and voc tech programs.

If you decided to do that, I have your support. Those EVIL CHARTER SCHOOLS will not stand a chance against your campaign.

SAVE DPS FROM STATE TAKEOVER!

Higgs1634

Post Number: 566
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everything will be alright. The good "Reverend" is on the case.

quote:

DPS official wants answers
Board member seeks to require staff to talk when questioned without schools chief interfering.
Jennifer Mrozowski / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- Detroit Public Schools board member Reverend David Murray said he plans to bring a motion before the board tonight that would require district staff to talk to board members when they have questions.

Murray said the motion, which would also direct Superintendent Connie Calloway not to interfere, is necessary because a key staff member he contacted wouldn't answer his questions on the recently approved food services contract because Calloway has told the staff not to speak to board members, unless an issue has already been decided or board members are seeking public information.

Murray said he called Calloway to ask her about the directive, and she told him that board members should submit requests to her in writing and she will get answers from the staff. Murray said he then hung up on the superintendent, who he said doesn't understand that board members are her bosses, not the other way around.

"Ain't no shame to my game," he said.

"When she started talking to me like I was a 5-year-old child, it was over."

Well, maybe a little shame in your game....

quote:

Judge makes DPS board member's kids wards of the court
Doug Guthrie / The Detroit News

DETROIT -- A Wayne County Juvenile Court judge on Wednesday ordered the children of a Detroit Public Schools board member to be made temporary wards of the court pending continued investigation of claims he abused and neglected them.

Reverend David Murray, 55, lost custody of four of his children in March after authorities received complaints the children had gone hungry, their home was in "deplorable condition" and police had responded to complaints there about domestic violence.....

Murray, who legally changed his first name to Reverend and is pastor of a small congregation at First Holy Temple Church of God in Christ, was elected to the board of education in 1998. He also is a social worker whose license was suspended in 1990 for disciplinary reasons. The Murrays have an extensive history with Children's Protective Services dating back to 1996. The court substantiated claims of physical neglect in 2006.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1310
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I never heard about a directive to not talk to board members (perhaps I am not considered staff??). If someone calls and starts asking me questions about DPS I am singing like a canary! I don't care who it is.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 958
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In the civilized world, the reason there is a hierarchy is that in theory, a board is supposed to provide general direction and the it's the Superintendent's administration to execute and handle details.

This keeps things orderly, as when you have a staff that answers directly to the board, you have no use for a superintendent; you make them instantly weak as there is knowledge the board won't stand behind their selected leader; and a lot of organizational headaches are created.

Detroitteacher

Post Number: 1311
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Digitalvision: While that is true in most cases, it is not the case in DPS. CC has repeatedly said that the board reports to one person and that person reports to her. She doesn't want everyone coming at her (I guess one would call this the trickle up theory). She is now contradicting herself by saying that she wants folks (staff) to report to her, directly. Mixed messages abound in DPS, no wonder no one knows what anyone else is doing or even what they, themselves, are supposed to be doing.

Firstandten

Post Number: 234
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is a tough issue and this is just indicative of how messed up DPS is. Ms. Calloway is like any other manager that has to report to a board. She is trying to manage her board. She understands that its hard to keep all the board members happy,(and she isn't, there are some who would buy her out now if the district could afford it) and she understand the history of DPS boards micromanaging its superintendents.
The board members on the other hand go to the staff members to find out whats really going on. Some staff members have relationships with board members to the extent that they can air there grievances with things that are going on. Ms Calloway has a history of trying to block that communications(see previous positions in Missouri and Ohio)
The reason this happens is because of a lack of communication between senior management and the staff members and that why staff feel they need to go directly to the board members.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 568
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This is a tough issue and this is just indicative of how messed up DPS is.

The fact that "Reverend" Murray has been TWICE elected to the board is more of an indicator than a squabble over who reports to whom.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 322
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow..all of a sudden I feel bad for thinking those mean things about Newt Gingrich for all these years..
Partisan, yes..but was any of what he said untrue?

Crumbled_pavement

Post Number: 426
Posted on Monday, July 07, 2008 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx_doug said:
quote:

Partisan, yes..but was any of what he said untrue?

Hyperbole? Yes. Problem is, if politicians weren't so partisan maybe people who don't subscribe to their party would listen to their ideas. Newt has some good ideas but you have to wade through all the useless party bashing to get to them. Don't get me wrong, the other side of the aisle does the same thing. It's part of the reason many people tune out politics altogether.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.