Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Can you picture this again? » Archive through May 29, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bragaboutme
Username: Bragaboutme

Post Number: 250
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.shorpy.com/node/197 ?size=_original

In the middle of woodward you will notice the rail line. I find it interesting to see the amount of buildings that are either gone or replaced.

If you had the chance to change this pic or keep it the same +/- some buildings what would it be?

To start I would put the Renaissance center (In the form of one tall tower, redesigned) where the old Ctyhall was? where One Kennedy Center is, Compuware would be in the hudson's building. Just my thoughts.

This thread is about the Light Rail System that has been proposed, but some can only dream about how Downtown could've looked if progress continued.

Don't get the wrong idea I like the direction
Downtown is going, and the progress it along with Mid-town has made.

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 251
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks to RymeswithRawk for the Link.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What sticks out to me chiefly is how dirty the air was. I don't want that again. Secondly all the the streetcars are pointed out of the City. I don't want that again either!

Jcole
Username: Jcole

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is that building on the right where I94 is now? It's just in the foreground of the Whitney mansion

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1728
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^^ that's a pretty long building. It looks like a factory or something.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 673
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I-94 is now isn't in this pic. The caption says it was taken from the Maccabees Building, which is at Woodward and Putnam. The first building you can see in the foreground is where the Utrecht is now at Woodward and Warren. As for the building you asked about, could it be the Vernors plant? I think it was right around Woodward and Canfield, which is the corner the Whitney is on.

Kid_dynamite
Username: Kid_dynamite

Post Number: 543
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What is that building on the right where I94 is now?"

Where I94 is today is 1 mile North, and not in the picture. This is Woodward and Warren.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1401
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Vernor's plant was downtown near the river until 1954.

(Message edited by Burnsie on May 28, 2008)

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 194
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 1942 The Vernors plant was at the foot of Woodward, just north of the Bob-Lo dock.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 674
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 7:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, so much for that theory. I'm curious now, though.

Jcole

Post Number: 1287
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, I thought the church with the green roofed steeple was Rosary, but it's Woodward Ave. Presbyterian. What's the building kitty-corner from that?
It is a long building, looks almost like a car factory.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2188
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vernor's had something just south of the corner of Forest and Woodward in the 60s. I seem to recall it was a bit back off Woodward and wasn't as big as that building. I think it is on this side of the big long building, with the roof on top of the roof, and behind it is the building Verne's was in.

My husband thinks the big long building was Kueffler and Esser, K&E Engineering Supplies.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2235
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back to the original topic.

No, I can't see Detroit like that ever again. We've lost half of our mid-rises and our density.

Besides, with the infrastructure in place now, it would be impossible to get a streetcar system in the middle of Woodward now.

Although I would have love if Detroit kept all of its density, skyscrapers and infrastructures it had before the 80s.

Gazhekwe
Username: Gazhekwe

Post Number: 2189
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That should be Keuffel and Esser, a manufacturer of surveying instruments.

Jcole

Post Number: 1290
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And I'm wrong again. That's First Congregational not Presbyterian. I'll just sit back and be quiet now.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1404
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitrise wrote, "with the infrastructure in place now, it would be impossible to get a streetcar system in the middle of Woodward now."

What infrastructure would be in the way? (Besides Campus Martius Park, of course). Have there been additional pipes and conduit laid near the surface, in the middle of Woodward over its whole length?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2238
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well no, but what would we do with all the traffic if Woodward were to become a 4 lane Avnue again?

Bearinabox

Post Number: 676
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hopefully Woodward would get so congested that everyone would have to ride the streetcar. :-)

Seriously, Woodward *is* effectively four lanes for most of the distance between McNichols and downtown (two parking lanes, two driving lanes in each direction, one left turn lane). Adding rail would eliminate the on-street parking in some areas, but would also reduce demand for it, and there are plenty of side streets and surface lots all along Woodward.

Burnsie

Post Number: 1405
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When Woodward was narrower and had streetcars, there was a LOT more auto traffic. Now that there's a lot less traffic, I think 2 lanes could be sacrificed for streetcar tracks without much problem.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2239
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously, I thought we counted all the lanes of an avenue together on both side (not by each direction).

Also, back then, Detroit didn't sprawl out to gazoo and people generally would take the streetcar more often or walk.

Now we've gotten so wrapped around the car culture (and we have so many clueless suburbanites coming into downtown lately), that turning Woodward back into a 4 lane avenue could cause issues.

Look at what happen to Gratiot just recently when they were repairing the streets (they reduced the street to 4 lanes). No one can tell me that wasn't terrible.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 677
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Seriously, I thought we counted all the lanes of an avenue together on both side (not by each direction).

Who the fuck cares?
quote:

Also, back then, Detroit didn't sprawl out to gazoo and people generally would take the streetcar more often or walk.

Maybe because there was a streetcar to take?
quote:

Now we've gotten so wrapped around the car culture (and we have so many clueless suburbanites coming into downtown lately), that turning Woodward back into a 4 lane avenue could cause issues.

Maybe, if you didn't add a streetcar at the same time. Most "clueless suburbanites" take I-75 anyway. If there are some die-hard holdout clueless suburbanites who refuse to ride transit or use expressways, there's always Hamilton. Three blocks west of Woodward and no traffic ever.
quote:

Look at what happen to Gratiot just recently when they were repairing the streets (they reduced the street to 4 lanes). No one can tell me that wasn't terrible.

I'm sure someone could, but it's not like you'd listen. Woodward was down to one lane in each direction (oh, all right TWO LANES TOTAL) a few years back when they were resurfacing it through Highland Park, and guess what? I survived. So did everyone else who drove that route regularly. Maybe they had to leave for work five or ten minutes early. Boo-fucking-hoo.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2240
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Who the fuck cares?"

Obviously you do since you're getting all excited about it.

"Maybe because there was a streetcar to take?"

Maybe so, but you can't prove to me that keeping the streetcars would have slowed up the sprawl or saved our density.

"Maybe, if you didn't add a streetcar at the same time. Most "clueless suburbanites" take I-75 anyway. If there are some die-hard holdout clueless suburbanites who refuse to ride transit or use expressways, there's always Hamilton. Three blocks west of Woodward and no traffic ever."

Yeah right, your typical "clueless suburbanite" would be afraid to travel down I-75 at night in Detroit, let along Hamilton at 3 PM in the middle of June.

"I'm sure someone could, but it's not like you'd listen. Woodward was down to one lane in each direction (oh, all right TWO LANES TOTAL) a few years back when they were resurfacing it through Highland Park, and guess what? I survived. So did everyone else who drove that route regularly. Maybe they had to leave for work five or ten minutes early. Boo-fucking-hoo."

Not everyone can deal with small issues like you, especially when we're sensationalizing a minor freeway project on the westside (DODGE THE FREAKIN LODGE!).

But, I refuse to argue with you since you're not seeing my point.

Bearinabox

Post Number: 678
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, I said this:
quote:

Woodward *is* effectively four lanes for most of the distance between McNichols and downtown

You responded with this:
quote:

Who's missing whose point?

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 253
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good observation DetroitPlanner, and the only one going into Downtown (get your magnifying glasses out) is in front of the Bonstelle Theater (The one with the Dome roof). Speaking of The Bonstelle Theater, what building is that just beyond the red church steeple?, looks like a hotel, or apartment building?

Scottr
Username: Scottr

Post Number: 873
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting to compare that picture to one from the same angle (albeit smaller) from the Midtown Vortex thread of February 07 (wow, was it that long ago?)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/91697/92879.html

Peachlaser
Username: Peachlaser

Post Number: 185
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Question about the church that is in the left of the photo. Is that the one that people are questioning? I have a photo of a church that looks similar to that but there is a freeway right next to it at as it sits on the corner of Woodward and the freeway. That church is a Catholic church. Trying to figure out the current buildings in comparison to this 1942 photo.

All I can say is Wow! A wide street with wide sidewalks, parking along the side for cars, four lanes for cars and a dual trolley track in the middle. That's the way streets should be designed.

Someone said that it wouldn't be possible to do that again on Woodward. After seeing this photo, I bet there are a lot of people out there that think it is possible again. Look how efficient it is. So many choices.

Jcole

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Wednesday, May 28, 2008 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peach, the church you're referring to is the one I thought was the one in the picture originally.
Your church is Our Lady of the Rosary on Woodward at I 94. The church in the picture is Historic First Congregational on Forest and Woodward.

Bragaboutme

Post Number: 255
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Peach, As much as I would like it to be elevated the street level Trolley system would definitely work. Parking would be an issue when it comes to the turning lane, but that can be worked out. For the ones who argued about other routes most people in the region take routes that are destination specific, and many do know how to manuever in and around downtown (in 2000 different story, or should I say before the super bowl) the trend now IS to know how to get around traffic. The powers that be should be taking notice to the jump in ridership in our City and Metro area, and other major cities so we can be in line to catch up with the rest of the modern world.

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 249
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, Well as They say, History repeats itself, So all that was old, will be new again.

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 417
Posted on Thursday, May 29, 2008 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like that church expansion gobbled up nearly an entire block of mid rise storefronts. I feel like a broken record here saying that the lack of contiguous and affordable mid rise has stymied retail growth and has nearly killed any chance of the area becoming walkable. The largest swaths or mid rise we have left are Vernor in Mexican town, which is arguably the most vibrant walkable place in Detroit and Michigan Avenue. These huge avenues are intimidating and often desolate. Michigan Avenue and Woodward should be reduced either via a streetcar line or center median. I know Ill hear bitching on this one about commute time but too bad. Its a big friggin city there should be horrible commute times. Ever drive the Dan Ryan or for that matter anyplace in Chicago. Granted this is comparing apples and oranges but the less lanes and the beginnings of light rail will encourage growth along the line of infill midrise and residential. The increase traffic congestion due to lanes being occupied by rail will lead to higher ridership and people moving closer to their jobs and centers of entertainment so that don't have to deal with commute. Youll also see less drunkards driving around endangering all of out lives with safe reliable transit in place. /end rant