Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New shopping center opening up at the Russell Industrial Center « Previous Next »
Archive through June 04, 2008Russix30 06-04-08  8:37 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Living_in_the_d
Username: Living_in_the_d

Post Number: 255
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, This is too cool.

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 274
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't wail 'til the Gun And Knife show!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 568
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

can't wait for the swat raid.

Sciencefair
Username: Sciencefair

Post Number: 100
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The RIC community is extremely diverse with interesting artists and manufacturers mixed together. This could be a great opportunity for the complex and city of Detroit. It could also be a waste of time.
We'll have to wait and see!

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that everyone else is as curious about this as I was when I found out. Dally in the Alley is irreplaceable (it's the reason I can't wait for September to roll around each year), but a spot like this for local artists and business owners to sell their wares all year round is fantastic too- and the fact that it's going to be in the Russell Industrial Center makes it even better.

Supergay
Username: Supergay

Post Number: 142
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After viewing that website I think Russell Bizarre is a better name.

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 869
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, we're positive in here.

Do I think a lot of things get announced and don't happen? Sure.

Do I also know that there needs to be SOME progress moving forward as far as retail, even if it's not Somerset? Yes. Detroit is going to succeed with interesting, funky stuff as part of the mix.

Although I am skeptical - as I am with almost all Detroit projects - I also am not going to piss on someone's parade who's trying to actually do something.

I also think it's a great opportunity for those small businesses who need a place to display their wares or run out of that doesn't have all the complexities and overhead.

I'm choosing to be cautiously optimistic - I wish them the best. The market will decide if there is demand and/or what will go in there, as it should.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2124
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

as far as the skeptics about it happening, the space is probably 90-100% built out already, i've peered in through the windows a couple times to see what they were working on. as far as whether or not there are tenants for these spaces already signed up, i don't have a clue.

Dannyv
Username: Dannyv

Post Number: 228
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, Repeat after me Moe, Larry, cheese...Moe, Larry, cheese. I know what you mean about the GTC, I think. It just stands for gross consumerism. However, I did find a chronologically sequenced bootleg collection of early Bob Seger that Bob and the powers-that-be have never released. Arguably, it's his best work. Better than anything from Beautiful Loser and beyond.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6557
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's about time somebody turned an old auto plant into a fantasy marketplace, only 50 yrs. after Ghardelli Square in San Francisco reinvented a chocolate factory.

We've had two HOF posts on this thread. dtowncitylover #156 notes an African flag and MATT #1278 notes the Washington Blvd. references.
Both show that this advertisement is more than stock schlok from a generic computer. We even have a Ford car up front, and white people from Hamtramck walking over with their kids. jjaba is waiting for the bike references.

We have to invoke Skipper's rules, believe it when you see it, ofcourse. This is Detroit.

As a personal reference, not pictured, jjaba's father ran his envelope factory in the low-rise bldg. at the corner of Russell and Clay here in the 1950s. jjaba learned to set type and run a printing press in this bldg. We always referred to it as the old Murray Body Works site.

jjaba, before I-75 went in over Hastings Street.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 398
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jjaba: "We even have a Ford car up front"

I think that's an Audi A4.

Jjaba

Post Number: 6563
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Murray Body Works buildings were built by Albert Kahn, 1915-25. There are seven of them.
The company made auto bodies and other stampings until 1954 at this plant and the one in Ecorse.
The company was started by John William Murray and was sold to Dana Corp. in 1955.

Here are most of the auto body customers.
Ford, Lincoln, Crosley, Willys, Hudson, Hupmobile, King, Studebaker, De Soto, Dodge, Peerless, Chrysler, Packard, Plymouth, Cleveland, Essex, Graham, Jordan, Marmon, Reo, Willy-Knight, Mercury, Kaiser-Frazer.

They also stamped out fenders, cowls, and frames.
This plant produced 60-70,000 auto bodies a year.
The plant has over 1 million square feet of space.

During the Great Depression, the plant made beer barrels (with Polish workers dancing that polka), and pedal cars for kids. Later, they contracted for Montgomery Ward kitchen cabinets, sinks, and appliance bodies.

Aluminium wings for the B-1 and B-29 bombers were built here during World War II. Over 13,000 workers were employed here at the time.

By the 1970s, 130 printing plants occupied these bldgs. making Detroit a huge printing center right here. jjaba's father ran the factory called Cupples-Hesse Envelopes at 1600 Clay Street. They produced millions of envelopes a day here in the 1950-60s. Although they printed their own envelopes, they also sold volumes to the printers nearby.

In 1970, Harry and Leona Helmsly of New York City fame, bought the property. After them, the bldgs. were purchased by the successful printer, Wintor Swan who did work for K-Mart, National Geographic, and the "Big-Three" auto makers.

In 1998, a tornado hit the bldgs. and there were floods from broken water mains. Many of the windows blew out. In 2003, Dennis Kafallinos bought the property and it is managed by Boydell Development Corp. of Nikis Pizza fame.

The last auto bodies to roll off the Murray line were the 1952-54 Hudson Jet and the Aero Willys.

jjaba, research dept.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2125
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yup a4 for sure.

also, while we're picking apart this silly image, i hope that's a ghetto palm (on the left) that they found in their stock image catalog, as that is the only vegetation growing anywhere near the place.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on June 04, 2008)

Jgavrile
Username: Jgavrile

Post Number: 120
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Website with some history of the building;
http://www.ricdetroit.org/?id= history

Jjaba

Post Number: 6564
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ghetto "palm". False palm.

What does an Audi A4 have to do with Russell
Industrial Center, where millions of American auto bodies were made from 1915-54? Detroit has certainly lost its way, eh.

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Animalparade

Post Number: 13
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For anyone who may be interested in setting up shop-
I talked to the person from the company who will be organizing the promotion for the new marketplace yesterday. There will be some major publicity involving the media, billboards, etc. It should bring a lot of attention to the place.

Melody
Username: Melody

Post Number: 203
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 1:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds AWESOME! I hope it happens and that it's cool. It's not far from me, so that's why I'm excited. I don't understand the negativity.

Did anyone go to the People's Arts Festival there last year? It was pretty neat. Also, I don't mind Gilbraltar so long as I'm going there to get something specific...or not, even. It is what it is. At the very least it's an entertaining trip.

Norwalk
Username: Norwalk

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody......the voice of reason I happen to agree with you!

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 1587
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that F Gibralter trade center. If any of you have been to Camden town in London then you've been craving this sort of thing. With any luck it will turn into awesomeness like that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camden_Town#Camden_street_markets

Few pics from there to wet your appetite. Totally awesome (I know not in a warehouse, but alot of the market is in catacombs so kinda the same feeling as a big warehouse)

sa

df

t

aaa

Animalparade

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Melody, glad to hear you're looking forward to this. The idea of a marketplace in the Russell is great (perfect setting for Detroit, right?). And, like some have already stated, the success or failure of the place is going to depend a lot on the types of vendors. I've been trying as much as possible to talk to local artist/craft/DIY groups, so hopefully there will be a good amount of them setting up shop.

Also, the People's Art Festival WAS awesome last year! I was there and had a great time. This year's is being set up to be bigger, so make sure to come.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1279
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sorry Jjaba, shouldn't you be banned for referencing the dreaded "H" word??

Jackpot
Username: Jackpot

Post Number: 14
Posted on Thursday, June 05, 2008 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

parade,
do you work for these people? just curious?

Animalparade

Post Number: 15
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course I do. I live right by the industrial center and have spent some time there in the past year (events, parties, etc.) and just got together with the owner earlier in the week- he told me about the new marketplace, showed me the space being worked on, and asked me to promote. Why else would I be posting all this information and leaving my contact info for vendors to use?

Pgn421
Username: Pgn421

Post Number: 604
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that would be nice if Karpinskis was open

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 38
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm excited for this. Russell Industrial is a cool place, despite being kind of insular and isolated. Hopefully this will address Russell's main problem as I see it, which is that if you're not an artist, it feels unapproachable.

Downriviera

Post Number: 588
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pgn421,

Right on. Karpinskis was really good. Maybe with the marketplace attracting people someone will open it up.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 836
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Karpinski's - "Shut 'em Down." What they call out at the end of the day in the shop. Presumably what said here, as well, when the day finally ended.

Pgn421

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

its been closed for a long time now.

Ladyinabag
Username: Ladyinabag

Post Number: 606
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!! Cool!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 784
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Animal, I rode into the Russel today on my bike. I didnt see anything really goin on. If you come in from the service drive where is it going to be? straight ahead, to the left, to the right??

Animalparade

Post Number: 16
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,
If you were to ride in through the entrance on Clay, you would go straight towards the back of the complex and look to your right. You'll see the entrance being assembled right there on the furthest building from the entrance.

Downriviera

Post Number: 601
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Animal,

I did not see the actual days and hours of operation on the site, is this known yet?

Animalparade

Post Number: 17
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The weekly schedule is still being worked out, but it will be open year round.

Animalparade

Post Number: 19
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Update:
A drive-in/bike-in movie theater will also be opening here at the Russell sometime very soon. Here is an article detailing all the info:
http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/russell14808.aspx

I live right down the street from the Russell, so I'm really excited about this one.

Animalparade

Post Number: 20
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also, the grand opening party will be this Thursday from 4-6pm, so anyone that wants an invite should email me (nsjarman@gmail.com).

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2168
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

*if* this thing takes off, they better start looking into giving reserved parking spots to tenants and upping security.

Pgn421

Post Number: 646
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 2:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i will be there. my company i wok for used to have the 2nd floor,50,000 sq ft.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 903
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Will they have an auto service center over there as well, because that truck route/service drie is diminished beyond all means.

Pgn421

Post Number: 657
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

front end alignment shop!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.