Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Anybody Seen This Detroit Docu-Video from Invincible & Finale? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tkierpiec
Username: Tkierpiec

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://current.com/items/88996 181_invincible_feat_finale_loc usts_docu_music_video

I haven't seen any other threads on it, hope I am not double posting something.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 84
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I posted too soon - take the time to watch the whole thing, it's more than just hiphop. There's some nice content in it.

Tkierpiec

Post Number: 85
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nobody is interested in watching? I thought this video was really unique and well done.

Meta_one
Username: Meta_one

Post Number: 1
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that Current TV has picked it up for their satellite station

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1760
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are both very talented.. My company has done photo shoots for both of them

http://crush.smugmug.com/Portf olio

Detx
Username: Detx

Post Number: 158
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 9:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don’t believe in kicking anyone out of their home. But it’s pretty short sighted to be anti-gentrification in Detroit. Detroit is so filled with crime and blight. So many neighborhoods have been left to rot... amazingly by the people who inhabit them. If someone has the guts to move into these neighborhoods, fix up their house, INVEST in it, than I say more power to them. I don’t have any ounce of sympathy in my heart for people who don’t take care of their property, and I believe that by and large it is time we stop defending these people and making them out to be hapless, helpless victims. These people are keeping Detroit down!

That being said, I don’t think gentrification is as big of an issue in Detroit as the artists in the video want us to think it is. I come back home every six months or so and I don’t see much growth or redevelopment outside of the downtown/midtown area (except for maybe certain spots of Southwest Detroit). The redevelopment that is occurring in downtown/midtown is mainly of prior vacant parcels or abandoned buildings. Same for Southwest Detroit. Except in Southwest Detroit there are a lot of examples of new Hispanic immigrants who purchase former rental houses that used to be occupied by derelicts.

There are streets in Southwest Detroit like Mason Place and Vinewood that for decades have been occupied by no good people. Over the last ten years new blood has moved and really fixed up these blocks. I applaud their efforts, and their risks, and hopefully some of the older residents in the neighborhood will take notice and do the same.

And the lady standing in front of the Crosswind condo units… she has to be wrong. She said that an elderly woman was in her kitchen and then the next instant her house was being knocked down. I’m just not buying that…

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1762
Posted on Saturday, June 14, 2008 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People will always add a lil more to the story to make it more compelling.

Lukabottle
Username: Lukabottle

Post Number: 163
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am relieved that they moved people out of those projects. Once they were gone, I started hearing a lot less gun shots. I wouldn't go near the gas station across the street from them. The few times I did, I was bombarded by people offering me "samples". After they were moved out, I could walk that way again. That areas was a danger for the people living there. Hopefully the rehab place next to my old apartment is seeing a higher success rate now that the projects are empty. Those guys deserve a chance. A friend of mine was in the program a decade ago and he has remained clean off Crack.

Integrated housing seems like a much better solution.

I wish they would have interviewed someone from CCNDC. It seems like they are doing a lot to provide affordable housing for people.

The video was definitely cool. I wish they would have mentioned more about city officials who are causing this situation and not just the Illitiches. Was cool to Ron Scott, Mike, and Grace speak. They are all inspirational.

They own property and leave it dirilect. Martha Reeves for example. Was part of this video filmed at Mongo's? Bad choice knowing some of his politics. He helped me realize how deep the corruption is. Sick.

Pmardo
Username: Pmardo

Post Number: 79
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lukabottle, will you explain more about the corruption you allude to re: Mongo?

N7hn
Username: N7hn

Post Number: 18
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I dont understand their point at all. Dont build/rebuild, kick in doors and squat cuz people need houses and there they are? Freeways are to blame for detroits demise cuz it helped people leave? WHAAA????? Im from detroit It needs help. Rot is not renewal. Maybe Im out of touch. We have the same debates with different excuses here in LA. I just dont get it and Im not rich, getting richer. The house i loved and lived in sits vacant, probably getting stripped. Id love for someone to save it, but if it takes tearing it down to improve the area i say get the wrecking ball.....

Meta_one

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 1:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

whatever your view on the Locusts video, this album from Detroit is certainly earning some national attention. Here's one of the many strong reviews that I've read... http://www.okayplayer.com/cont ent/view/6024/86/

I don't know if anyone on this board listens to hip hop so maybe this is not interesting to you all. But Detroit's hip hop scene seems particularly strong right now with this Invincible album, and the hype around artists like Black Milk, Guilty Simpson, Finale, Danny Brown, etc. and the continued interest in the legacy of J Dilla.

Saintme
Username: Saintme

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"auto industry's widow"

ain't that the truth

237am
Username: 237am

Post Number: 9
Posted on Monday, July 14, 2008 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i have known invincible for a few years now and she is a good person reaching out to educate people.....

for myself, i came up in the bboy scene and then started to promote bboy battles in southwest detroit back in the early 90's..... mainly at the g.i. forum and a few other spots....but just seeing how hip hop culture pulls together people and really shows the connection between them and the city...

i know with my clothing line, i have been reaching out to get artists not only in hip hop but also techno/etc and try to tie/promote them with the line.......trying to bring the talents together and hopefully get the word out there

i really hope the economy starts picking up and the auto industry comes back to detroit.......

all you can do is push along and promote positive actions..

b

Meta_one

Post Number: 4
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also hope that the economy picks back up, but we have to get beyond a passive mentality and see that we can do things that contribute to positive economic development.

I think our region has so undervalued culture and community as force for economic growth, and I think Invincible's video, in the second half, emphasizes those solutions.

Detroit's music culture, as one example, is respected internationally. Many people are not aware of the degree to which our city's contemporary music underground has captured international attention. Yet when many of these artists make it big, they need to move to Brooklyn or L.A. to take it to the next level.

So we need to create more institutions which support Detroit's musicians, artists and media makers and keep them based here. Look at how other cities, like Austin, have their local music industry as a major part of their local economy and identity. Why can't we build that, but better (because we have better music), in Detroit?

Meta_one

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

we need 1,000 more projects like the clothing line that 237am described.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 5031
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A really good video. Impressive.

N7hn, you need to read some history of the area before you blow off the thought of how the freeways tore Detroit apart.

Meta_one

Post Number: 6
Posted on Wednesday, August 06, 2008 - 4:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro Times cover story: http://metrotimes.com/music/st ory.asp?id=13130

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.