Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Just talked to the cops a few minutes ago. « Previous Next »
Archive through June 06, 2008Craig30 06-06-08  2:29 pm
Archive through June 07, 2008Django30 06-07-08  5:23 pm
Archive through June 09, 2008Eastsidedame30 06-09-08  5:25 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4140
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 6:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine was being sarcastic in his last post.

Pcasey
Username: Pcasey

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow. just wow.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 148
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I doubt very much that you would "let" him see you taping..but it's an imperfect world, and there is a very real chance of being caught in the act.
Ask yourself what sort of reaction your pal "Hank" would have to that scenario BEFORE you commence with it.
In a perfect world, you could just call the cops and be done with it..but we already know how well that works. Since you've decided to take matters into your own hands, I'm TRYING to impress upon you the reality of just how dangerous an undertaking that is.

Best case scenario for you is that you film "Hank" doing something whacky, and the authorities send him off to the big house based on your video evidence.
Unfortunately, the above is "perfect world" shit, and we've already established that Detroit doesn't fit that category.
The Detroit reality is that "Hank" would likely get a severe talking-to, and maybe a couple nights in the pokey..after which he would be back on your ass with a vengeance, having figured out who taped him after seeing the evidence presented against him.

I'm not seriously suggesting you flat out murder the man..my first post was in jest..but I am suggesting that you keep your ass covered, and make sure you aren't left in a position where you're caught taking a video camera to a gunfight.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2342
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pam!! Ma cherie!! Thank you for your excerpt from "The DetroitYes! User's Guide To Ravine."
Good GOD how over-the-top do I need to be before it is obvious that I'm joshing. Django seemed to be getting a kick out of the direction in which the thread was going, and I was hoping that my absurd final post would cause any liquid he may have been drinking to forcefully squirt out of his nose.
Cripes!!

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 854
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ravine, I have no doubt that you will someday make me soak my laptop.

But on another thread, I want to be done here.

(Message edited by django on June 09, 2008)

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5147
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

not so fast...
another possibility would be to stop calling your place a shack, start calling it an "installation" and see if you can sell it to some Museum or highbrow art collector for 100k.

(I know that you are attached to your little home on the prairie, but you can always purchase another.)

Some friends have had good luck selling their work on a site called deviantart.com

just an idea.

(Message edited by barnesfoto on June 09, 2008)

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 311
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

now that is a good idea! when i lived upstairs from Lager a friend of ours put an awesome cat peice on the wall, there's a similar tag by the same guy on the Lodge to (either 94 or 75) change. Not that he's limited to cats, but we were bored and he said he'd do a peice if we wanted so yeah cool, and it turned out awesome. And I'm sure he'd love to do a house if you're interested. He's good. Django if you're interested holla

Django

Post Number: 857
Posted on Monday, June 09, 2008 - 9:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Totally interested. Will you be at Cubs Bar-B on Saturday? (see urban garden thread at the bottom)
I dont like to post my number or address'

Gannon, Jams, and Cub have my number if you happen to know them. How can I contact this person who did the cat?

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4142
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 7:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Totally interested. Will you be at Cubs Bar-B on Saturday? (see urban garden thread at the bottom)

It is not this Sat.

quote:

know this is early, but the Georgia St. Community Garden is hosting a Greening of Detroit Garden Resource Program Bar-B-Q on Saturday, July 12,2008

Django

Post Number: 861
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oops, Thanks Pam.

Alley, any other ideas. Its not like Im that hard to find.

Django

Post Number: 935
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not sure what just happened, but hanks car was just put out by the DFD, It looks totaled to me. Im not sure if it was running and caught fire or someone torched it. I saw him Friday but not since. It must have been torched,If it was running and caught fire he would have been around it seems. He surely made a few enemies here in the hood since he got here, I wouldnt put it past someone to light a rag in his gastank..

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 750
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 3:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's been said by many a great Detroiter that a "real" street (person) doesn't run his mouth, doesn't flash around guns or act loud and obnoxious. They aren't the ones trying to be hood. They are the ones trying to get past the hood.

LOL, It's so very true, isn't it? It sure does seem like Hank is creating his own demise. Seriously, is he trying to make his life harder?

What a strange neighbor you were stuck with...

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 361
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 4:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

See what happens when you ain,t gotta haul buckets of water, build him one of your rock sculptures, he,s a drunk it might fall on him and smash him like i just did with this ant.

Django

Post Number: 937
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always love your posts Sean_, lookin forward to meeting you someday.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 757
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 7:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someday? Just go to the DYES fireworks meeting/picnic. Unless a comet comes and takes me out, I will be there. You'll even get to meet The Girly!

I'll give it a bump... I need help getting it going. I'm worried I'm going to show up and no one will be there.

Django

Post Number: 940
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthres talked about Fort Wayne being a great place to watch the fireworks. Im not sure if its open for everyone though. Is there a formal meeting place for dyesers at the fireworks?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 762
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Plymouthers? Is it an open invitation?

Django

Post Number: 944
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure. I posted in connect under the thread paging Plymouthres.

Ravine
Username: Ravine

Post Number: 2361
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeez, Django, I'm not sure that the burned-out car is good news (not that you said it was.) Now, the mis-evolved maniac might be around the house more. If someone actually did torch his car, that's a really low blow, and it sure backs up your claim that the guy has made himself into a grievously annoying nuisance. People get cussed out, all the time, but folks don't often torch somebody's car.
Glad it wasn't the house. Too much danger for others, plus the addition of a burned-out wreck to your neighborhood.
Again, best wishes for a non-violent resolution to your predicament.

(Message edited by ravine on June 15, 2008)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5580
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 2:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn. I knew we needed a webcam on that guy.

Fire Exit

Django

Post Number: 948
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Your right Ravine, now I gotta worry about this dick thinkin it was me who torched it. Unless he did it himself for the insurance but I highly doubt he has full coverage if any at all. Im not even sure the car ran. It was a decent Lincoln, probably an 98'or 00'

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 324
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry, my computer took a crap for a couple days. I'll myspace my buddy and see what he thinks and if he's around, then i'll get back to you for sure :-)

Django

Post Number: 991
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just had a bit of a breakthrough with the local kids.

I believe I mentioned earlier that Ive had probs with kids throwing rocks at my house.

This afternoon, I was watering my garden with my new hoses and sprinkler courtesy of Blueidone. I noticed some young kids checkin me out. Now I could be wrong but I thought I heard them sayin somethin derogetory about me and something about ripping up "all that garden". I walked down and around to them, The young one hiding in some bushes making some hissing noises. I walked to the older one who had climbed up on a garage roof. I axed why they were so interested in the garden. I asked if he (the older) liked sweet corn. said he didnt, I played with him, "who the hell doesnt like sweet corn?" "you dont like veggies?" he said he loved them, just not sweet corn. I told him if he watched out for my garden, Id have some good veggies for him in the fall.

We got to talkin, the younger one (Reggie) joined in and I explained that I wanted to be a part of the hood, if they needed a bike flat fixed, I could help em out, new wheel, I have a few layin around. They really warmed up to me. It took an hour or so of standing ground, walikin away, then them following me over to my house. By the end, the older (Jed) knocked on the door with a broken bike in his hands and asked if I could fix it.

Im not in the clear by a longshot, but I feel good tonite, like I made some headway. Makes me realize that these kids just need some attention. We probably talked for 45 minutes. I was amazed what they knew about gardening from just watchin the discovery channel. They told me a few things, about beekeeping, and strawberries.

Now Im not sure but I think Reggie was the little smartass throwin rocks at my house. I didnt make it known that I thought it was him but gave him "the look" He replied the last dude that lived in my place (another cracker) used to sic his dogs at them, bitchin and swearin at them. I told them both that guy was gone, Its a new day.

I just feel like I made some headway today cause Ive really been worrying about kids tearin up my garden for the hell of it.

Havnt seen Hank since before someone torched his car. Still have that to worry about. But these kids were really cool once you got close to them and talked to them. I just cant help but feel like they dont want to be bad kids, like they really enjoyed talking to an adult, as if they they were almost psyched that some old dude was talkin with them, even if that old dude was a total outsider being white in an almost all black hood.

It was a good day.

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 365
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

awhile back i found that once i got to know the kids on my friends block in SW [played catch & cards with them] i could pretty much leave the keys in my truck and it would be there no prob. the hank guy must be in hiding or hopefully out of the picture.

Django

Post Number: 997
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactamundo dog.

Django

Post Number: 998
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Barnesfoto: "I've figured out who Django is,"

Do we know eachother? Are you on the dyes facebook?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 792
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django... you would be an awesome neighbor. What general area do you live in (if I can ask)?

Also, I'm going to complete my registration on Facebook, and I'll try and get on their tonight.... well this morning now.

Whatever, you know what I mean.

The Girly and I are going to have to make one of those pros and cons lists for each neighborhood we want to live in. I am so glad I have time, because I don't think I could choose right now. We actually have lightly discussed the space between the islands...

No clue what we are going to do right now though...

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5163
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've met you a couple times, D.

Anyway, congrats, you've figured out that kids are like the CIA of your neighborhood, they know lots of stuff (although they are capable of supplying faulty intelligence). Best to have them as allies, I'm guessing some of them don't have dads around to fix their bikes, so your actions probably mean a lot to them, and they probably thought that you were connected to the guy that used to own your house...There's karma again.

Django

Post Number: 1002
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean_, Thanks, thats a huge compliment. Im near Grand and McDougall. From what little I know of you, Id recommend Farnsworth, between Moran and McDougall. Great Ppl, In the hood but cheap, theres probably still a place for sale or rent. I know who to talk to. Id be willin to bet about 3 bucks we have some mutual friends. Well talk when your up on Facebook.

Barn, Ok we met, Thats all your gonna give me? Better clue than that would be nice. I do kind of enjoy the "who are you" game though. Kind of makes me feel "special" that someone knows me but I dont know them. Of course, I've put pics up of myself, I wonder now if that was such a great idea. Oh well.

Come on B. give me a clue.

Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5165
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mutual friends as well.
I can't remember where it was, but I first met you when you were sitting on your rather unique auto in a public parking lot some years ago...another time I brought a photo class to your neighborhood, you had just scored some of the purple granite that the idiots at the DIA had paid to have removed and crushed..

Django

Post Number: 1003
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Photo class at the packard?? If so Ive got some splainin to do.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 350
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django: It's good you could talk to the kids. They could become your greatest ally. Best of luck.

Django

Post Number: 1007
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks dame, Im hopin I can do the same with more of the kids in the hood. They all just got out of school so its gonna get crazy down here.

Im actually thinkin about tryin to interview these kids on camera for sort of a documentary on the hood here.

Someone else was talkin about the movie Born into Brothels, about a bunch of bastard kids in the red light district of I believe Calcutta India. The artist wound up giving the kids cameras to document their own lives. I havnt watched the whole thing through but I love that idea.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 146
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please use your head and common sense. I hope you won't invite any of these kids into your home. Never know who might make mental notes of your "stuff worth stealing", and pass the info on to others who might be so inclined. I agree, the more of these kids you can get that are TRULY on your side, the better off you will be. Promising veggies is nice, but if they want the veggies they will take them, with or without your permission. You can be a good neighbor to them, but you will NEVER be buddies.

Django

Post Number: 1008
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice, I am familiar with the protocol.

I know they would have taken what they want if they had left the garden alone, that was and still is my main worry, just seeing the veggies left alone long enough to fruit. I just wanted to take that opportunity to let them know Im not such a bad guy.

Thanks for the advice, Im always open for good advice.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 154
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django...I found the posting you referred to. Here is a link to the thread...
https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/143185.html?1213741696

Bigdiesel07
Username: Bigdiesel07

Post Number: 28
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great advice, but such a horrible situation. I read once that if you call DPD and say "Police Officer shot", they make it a priority to come out... Maybe next time you see 'Hank' out with his gun acting foolish. Hope things work out. Please keep us informed!

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 862
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By all means call 911 and report "Police Officer shot." Street cops sure enjoy a good joke at their expense!

(that's sarcasm - phone in something erroneous which pushes every cops' button and the consequences will be dire and long-lasting; if your antagonist has a gun, simply state to 911 "man with a gun;" they'll get it, they'll get him, and life will go on)

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 139
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that’s not very nice, even as kidding around. “Cop down” indeed. Ok, if you want a fast response then call and say you have a red-lighter in your presence. These are the people who make lights go off on the computer screen. The DPD MUST respond to these or else they get harassed by Wayne County Sheriff, not to mention the Feds who are monitoring. To get a name, though, you’ll have to do some digging. But wait! Maybe the answer to your problem IS the problem itself. Spectacular.

Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pardon my ignorance, but what does the term "red-lighter" as referred to in the above message mean?

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.