Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » New shopping center opening up at the Russell Industrial Center » Archive through June 04, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 10
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's right, it's going to be called the Russel Bazaar, and plans are being made for a grand opening soon. There will be a food court, live music, weekly events, and vendors of all types. I went to look at the space today and couldn't believe it. A large campaign is underway to promote, and the press will be involved as well as billboards all around the city.
This will be the only space of its kind in the city, so if any vendors would like to take a look at how everything is being set up, then contact Neil at nsjarman@gmail.com.
The rent will start at $375, no lease is required, and the space houses 600 vendors altogether- this is going to be huge, and the spaces are on a first come basis, so signing up sooner would be a good thing.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 700
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the heads up. I have heard nothing of this. I passed it on to my Ex, she might be interested selling her Hemp clothing line.

Cooper
Username: Cooper

Post Number: 20
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the website (via Google). Someone needs to tone down the primary colors:

http://russellbazaar.com/index .php

Django

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whoa, no shit. sunglasses please.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1662
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So it's like a Gilbralter trade center? Cool

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 664
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are these guys serious?

This will last maybe a year, tops.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 1663
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Any idea when this place is planned to open?

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 403
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shopping center or flea market... you decide!

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2428
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds fun

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 520
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I see something at I-75 I immediately think they're after suburbanites. This would be ideal for city residents (and suburbanites who make their way into the city) if it was more bus/pedestrian friendly i.e. on one of the spoke streets.

Django

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck a Gibralter Trade Center. Detroit has more class than that, more class than most ppl think, especially a downriver ripoff palace like the GTC. Oh please let me be right.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2278
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Fuck a Gibralter Trade Center. Detroit has more class than that, more class than most ppl think, especially a downriver ripoff palace like the GTC. Oh please let me be right."

Hey, the people in Macomb County love it too (Mt. Clemens).

Sheesh, you just love to fuck everyone, don't you?

First you fuck Birmingham, now you're fucking GTC.

I guess you're going to fuck me next.

Fuck, fuck, fuck!

Anyway, my point was, at least someone is trying to invest money into something the city needs (retail and use of abandoned structures), despite the harsh economy here in SE Michigan.

(Message edited by DetroitRise on June 03, 2008)

Sludgedaddy
Username: Sludgedaddy

Post Number: 49
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wonderful, a Gibralter Trade Center like venue in Detroit. Now I can get a cheap Tasmanian Devil tatoo or ,in season, just in time for Christmas, a hand crafted reindeer head on a stick, all close to home.

Django

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry man, Ive never been to the one in MtClemens. I cant deny the one south of here gives me the creeps. But hey, I like strolling through abandoned buildings here in the city, that would probably creep out more than a few from just about anywhere. Just my view on it is all. If I was the type of person to live in Bham, Im sure Id love it. Dont take me so seriously. I honestly dont remember dissin on Bham, but I probably did.

And I am totally down with ANY money being brought into the city, I just had this nice vision like the link above gave me with an apparently photoshoped storefront of what this place is going to be. It was a nice vision until someone brought up something about being just like the GTC with "cool" after that. I just had a bad picture of mullets and skullets in my head.

Im no prince.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 22
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ooooooooo, this has some potential.

I wonder what they will be selling? Is it going to be useful things or etched mirrors with miller lite logos on them? The success will definitely depend on the products. Well I guess that goes for any business. Congratulate me for stating the obvious.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 2121
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sweet, can't wait to get a fresh batch of shea butter and a new belt!

Dtowncitylover
Username: Dtowncitylover

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope it can be like the souks of Morocco! The souks is where one can buy food and shoes within steps of each other, it was such a cool place walking through a crowded yet unique combination of shops. Hopefully it will have such a feel, not a Moroccan feel, but a shopping feel. Oh and on the front page the flag to the far left is the the flag of Central African Republic, I found that funny!

Django

Post Number: 707
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do they still sell roach clips with feathers attached to them by leather string?? Who knows, something like that might go over really well here.

Im sorry Rise, I couldnt help myself. I dont really want to dis anyones city. But you gotta admit, thats some funny damn posts above mine.

Daytwa
Username: Daytwa

Post Number: 26
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 10:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To determine how this will match up to the GTC, one might ask how the deposit/rental rates and application process compare to those of the GTC. This would give an indication of the quality of product that would likely be seen here, no?

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 23
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

laughing my ass off at shea butter and a new belt.

I hope they dont take the business away from bridge in eastern market. I mean, what would people do on their way to gratiot central market if there was no shea butter. For the love of god, wont someone think of the shea butter?!
Hopefully I will still be able to pick up some VHS's of Top Gun and Xanado after I go to Hirtz.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1665
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why is everyone in the mall white? Did they move Russel Street to Brighton?

Django

Post Number: 709
Posted on Tuesday, June 03, 2008 - 11:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, I grew up in Brighton and I knew a black dude.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 1278
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 12:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After checking out the rendering of the entrance, it looks like they found a use for the old Washington Blvd streetscape after all! ;)

(Message edited by Matt on June 04, 2008)

Professorscott
Username: Professorscott

Post Number: 1347
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 1:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this anything that's actually going to happen? It seems we hear 500 announcements a year about new retail this or housing that, and half the time a plywood sign goes up on the site, and 90% of the time that's the end of it. Our state motto should be however you say "coming soon" in Latin.

By the way, I think GTC charges about eighty bucks for a booth for the weekend, there aren't leases, and the application process is that you have to prove you have eighty bucks. I'm not certain, though, so if anyone has better info, correct me.

Django

Post Number: 713
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 2:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

$80 seems pretty reasonable for a whole weekend. I work with some of the Cass Ppl for the Dalley in the Alley. I know they make a few bucks, much of it goes toward good things in that hood, they refuse sponsorship, and the city has been hounding them for a cut of each booth, and its not a small cut either. Thanks a certain few ppl who know whats going on theyve been able to keep it a community event. If you go and buy a sandwich at the Dalley, you dont need eight $1 tickets to buy a half a sandwich like you do at taste fest. You pay $4 and get a full one. But of course we dont have Budwieser banners everywhere but we do sell motor citys brew there.

Im just gettin revved up on a topic I probably have no right to discuss.

Yall check out Dalley in the Alley this Sept.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2279
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 6:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Hey, I grew up in Brighton and I knew a black dude."

Good one. Now THAT is funny. :-)

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 832
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why is everyone in the mall white? Did they move Russel Street to Brighton?"

Those pictures are lifted from a gallery of stock art: pay a fee and use any picture that you like.

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1668
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree Rise. Craig, you think someone else would have noticed.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 834
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've not studied this, but to my eyes most still photography used in print & web-based ads come from the stock galleries. Look around and you'll be shocked as the scale of this sinks in: you'll be like the little kid... "I see 'dead' people everywhere."

I cannot say that I've ever seen 'regular guys' represented in those galleries. If the charge had been to make the stills on the Russell Bazaar site representative of the community you would see the same upper middle class images, but with darker faces. No one carrying a Bud mirror; none with a hand carved African mirror.

Someone tell me how to post links and I'll find some examples from among local advertisers.

Russix
Username: Russix

Post Number: 84
Posted on Wednesday, June 04, 2008 - 8:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What excellent way to fuck up a good thing by trying to make it better! There is already a building that is much better suited for this and located right downtown. Its called Hudson, Opps!
Thanks again Dennis! Hope your buddies enjoyed the handout!