Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Just talked to the cops a few minutes ago. » Archive through June 06, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 756
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They were haulin away a suzuki mini jeep thing. Ive seen it around in the hood. Anyway, Ive had this problem with a guy across the street. Ive mentioned him in another thread. He has a new gun. He likes to pull it out when he gets mad, Hes pulled it on me (tapped me on the head with the barrel), I caught him throwing shots I believe at someone in the middle of the day about a week ago. Then I heard my roommate say he pulled it on another ding dong in the hood who he got into an argument with last week. (I called the cops 3 times in all)

So this guy is gonna kill someone, I saw the the cops haulin away this vehicle. I waved one roller down and asked if this was his area to patrol. He said yes so I explained my situation with this squatter across the street from me and the fact that he gets drunk and mad and likes to pull his new pistol. They didnt ask one question, they said thanks and drove off. WTF. They didnt give a damn shit, I explained this guy is gonna kill someone, hes already thrown shots at someone.
Anyone have some suggestions, Im takin notes.

I havnt seen "hank" in a few days, I hope hes locked up but I dont think so.

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 4455
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

go make a police report and take witnesses to each event with you - that's the only way they can do much other than just watch him

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 251
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Messed up, but true.

Django

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one on my block is about to go down to the station. But you may be right about me going down there. Anyone have any worse case scenario? I dont want my house torched. This man CANNOT know who came down on him. I cannot risk the little hellhole Im buying. Its all I have. I dont want to come home to a cinder.

Ive thought of "street payback" but I just dont want to go that route. (Im not, I AM NOT talking of violence in any way mind you)

I just want this guy behind bars before he kills me, my roomie or a neighbor.

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 253
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you fill a report online about this public menace? Otherwise, call Crime Stoppers, or something like that, anonymously.

Maybe you could film him through the curtains and mail it to the cops. Of course, this situation won't get better. But evidently, someone must do something.

Django

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive already tried to send an online report, havnt heard anything back just as I expected. Next time I will try and have my camcorder at the ready. Great idea. I cant believe I didnt even think of that. I just got my first recorder, what a perfect way to put it to use. When I heard the shots I grabbed my shotgun and peeked through the door, I should have had my camera instead.

Thanks Dame.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 668
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He is a squatter? So he really doesn't belong there to begin with? Who owns the house? Could you talk to the owner? Would they be willing to call and press charges? Having a video showing how disruptive he actually is would probably help get the police to take it more seriously. Especially if the building owner and other residents also want something done.

Trying to think what else you do...

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 6436
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 4:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A horrible situation. I pray that you are not hurt by this guy. Maybe he is gone. Perhaps you should arm yourself.

Django

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SofD. He claims it was his mothers house. I dont know what the real deal is. I just assume the home is in the hands of the city. Thanks for your advice, Ill take all the help I can get, maybe a little bit of the advice you all give me will jar my brain onto the right track, you know what I mean?

Pg, I am armed, and I appreciate your concern, I really do. I know we square off sometimes, and its good to know we all have some common ground somewhere. Thanks.

I just have to get this old bolt action I have working so I can rack another shell within a sec or so. LOL. Its n old 12ga. Im thinkin about bringing home my other Remington 870 12ga. which is in mint condition. Id hate to have that stolen though. Otherwise it would be here already.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 6437
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well here's to hoping the dude gets the hell out of there. The way it sounds the guy is going to end up in the can or dead sooner or later so if you can stay out of harms way until then you will be OK.

My next door neighbor is a retired Detroit cop, I will ask him what he thinks the best way is to get someone at the DPD to pay attention, he still has some buddies on the force.

(Message edited by perfectgentleman on June 06, 2008)

Django

Post Number: 766
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pg, I would totally appreciate that advice. Thanks.

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 6438
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK I just talked to my buddy next door. He said the best thing to do would be to go to the district office in your area and ask to speak with the commander. Any documentation you have like the times and places of the incidents is helpful.

Get the names of anyone you talk to so they know you are documenting what they are doing and see if they are willing to help. Beyond that he said that you could take up the issue with Problem Solvers at Channel 2. The other channels have similar contacts as well. Video would really help in this case.

I know some of this seems obvious and maybe you have tried it already but given the current state of affairs at the DPD it is the best he could come up with.

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3175
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wait a minute.........

He pulled a gun out and put it to your head and you never made a police report?

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10175
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 11:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stab him in the throat with a spoon. He will never bother anyone again!

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 6569
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Goat, is that some kinda Canadian defence programme, eh?

jjaba.

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 341
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unfortunately, you're unlikely to get him or his gun carted off until he does something other than simple nuisance. Discharging firearms in city limits is a misdemeanor (to my knowledge, anyway). Even if you were to report it, unless you were willing to publicly file a complaint, there's really not a whole lot the law can do about it. It probably wouldn't get his gun taken away from him or result in jail time- just a fine and maybe probation.

On the other hand, if there is probable cause for a search and he's found with an unlicensed gun on him, or if he already has a felony on his record, that's felon in possession, a felony firearm violation, and a felon in possession violation. Depending on the guidelines and his priors (and the judge), it could mean prison time.

Mind you, this all hinges on the police actually arresting him. What to do about that, I couldn't tell you- I'm on the "what do we do with 'em" side of the operation rather than the "herd 'em in."

Rugbyman
Username: Rugbyman

Post Number: 342
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Out of curiosity, which precinct are you in? If it's SW or Eastern, about the best I can say is Good Luck.

Django

Post Number: 767
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Iheart, its a a touchy situation. I cannot have cops come to my house with this dick across the street. even if they did haul him in there not going to get him on a gun charge cause there not going to find a gun. Hes out in a few days, my house gets torched. This may be a stupid thing to say but Im the only white dude for blocks, ive only lived on this street for a couple of years, I have to tread lightly. I already get enough shit from the 10 yr olds thgrowin rocks at my house. Like I said its a touchy situation.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 1099
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 12:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is your neighborhood worth living in? Im not trying to be a jerk about it but seriously? I have a coworker in a similar situation he bought a house in a rough area and he is confronted daily by a young punk whose 21 who enjoys starting crap. He comes to work once in a while talking about how he had to pull his gun out to get him away from his house.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4904
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That sounds insane, Django. I'm sorry to hear-- there must be a lot of other things/people you like about your neighborhood since you chose to live there (I would hope). What area are you in?

This guy could probably be put away for reckless endangerment, public nuisance, etc...but like you said, it wouldn't be a permanent solution. You can just hope that one of the fights he picks takes him out or at least puts him out of commission.

Mortgageking
Username: Mortgageking

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Next time he pulls a gun shoot him dead.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, so that's the Charles Bronson option. What else? :-)

Django

Post Number: 770
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL

Im way under the radar (for the most part) where I live. Its just a shack, but its mine. I do love it here. Its just gonna take some time for ppl to get used to me bein around. Thoes kids will grow up a little soon enough and realize Im the guy they can come to to get their bike or car fixed. The ding ding across the street will get himself locked up soon enough, hes got a new gun and a temper. Id just like to see him gone sooner than later.

Im keepin my video recorder at the ready. I cant believe I didnt think of that when he was throwin thoes shots. I actually havnt seen him in a few days. (fingers crossed)

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 385
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Stab him in the eyes with a soldering iron. He won't know where you are to retaliate. And you don't have to kill, just maim. :-)

Django

Post Number: 772
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

think a curling iron would work??

Brian_fitzcarraldo
Username: Brian_fitzcarraldo

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe this kind of crap can't get someone's gun taken away. Any Second Amendment freaks willing to tell me why insane people deserve the right to a handgun?

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 292
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yesss! burn the shit out of his neck with a curling iron, that hurts A LOT! go for the jugular

Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 6472
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Any Second Amendment freaks willing to tell me why insane people deserve the right to a handgun.

If the guy has a criminal record, he shouldn't have one. But clearly as the DPD is not up to their job that is all the more reason for folks like Django TO HAVE ONE.

Django

Post Number: 775
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Brian, this guy knows enough to go stash his gun after he pulls it or uses it. Im sure its a street gun. I do think this guy has been in the pen, Im not sure but I believe he told me he was. I actually did some electrical work for this guy this past fall, so he could have some heat in "his" house.

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 837
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a prisoner? Do you know his real name? Look him up on OTIS... maybe he's a probation offender. With luck a couple of well-placed calls might make him go buh-bye.