Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Just talked to the cops a few minutes ago. » Archive through June 07, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 838
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He was a prisoner? Do you know his real name? Look him up on OTIS... maybe he's a probation offender. With luck a couple of well-placed calls might make him go buh-bye.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 5502
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Train a webcam on him so we can all watch. Of course you wouldn't want him to see your cameras pointed at him.
quote:

I actually havnt seen him in a few days.

Since he has a bad temper maybe he's already been busted elsewhere.
quote:

... my house gets torched. This may be a stupid thing to say but Im the only white dude for blocks, ive only lived on this street for a couple of years, I have to tread lightly. I already get enough shit from the 10 yr olds thgrowin rocks at my house. Like I said its a touchy situation.

Strange coincidence: I just finished reading of an identical event except the races were reversed. It was a chapter of a book called Common Ground, by J Anthony Lukas. It's a good book.

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you don't know his name, keep a close eye on his house and if he isn't home when mail is delivered, go across the street and look in his mail box and get his name! Take an envelope with you to make it look to anyone watching like you are returning a piece of HIS mail that was delivered to you in error. I think if it were me in your place, his house would be a pile of ashes. I don't see why you subject yourself to living like that. There has to be a better, safer place that you can somehow afford to buy. Get the heck out of there before you end up waking up dead!

Club_boss
Username: Club_boss

Post Number: 496
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 2:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He has a new gun. He likes to pull it out when he gets mad, He’s pulled it on me (tapped me on the head with the barrel), I caught him throwing shots I believe at someone in the middle of the day about a week ago."

This is a pistol, right?

1. Putting a pistol to your head--charge 1
2. You say he has discharged the weapon---charge 2
3. He is carrying a concealed weapon, without a permit, I can’t believe he has CCW permit acting like this—charge 3
4. “I called the cops 3 times in all”--what a surprise
5. There is a felony in that list somewhere, if not more than one, did he threaten you when he put the pistol to your head?
6. I believe you, but I cannot believe this, people wonder why I’m armed to the teeth.
7. If it happened to me this fool would be lying on a slab down @ the morgue waiting for another fool to claim what’s left of him.

Try training a .45 on him.

Tkshreve
Username: Tkshreve

Post Number: 389
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 3:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seriously,

You make it sound like it's only a matter of time or law of averages that you're gonna be around at te wrong time. If the cops aren't doing a thing, then I guess they are indirectly telling you to handle it. But I guess since you have been in contact with the police already about him, if he turns up dead, they're gonna remember you.

All in all, don't go after him with a curling iron. Either you take out his eyes, or take out his arms. Then he can only bite you. Or set a trap over a manhole in the street. Hang a playboy or something over a covered hole. He falls in, you fix the hole.

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 777
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im more likely to go with Tkshreves plan, LOL.

As far as me seeing him shoot at someone, I believe it was him but didnt see his face. Ive got eyeball issues so Im not seeing so well but he was wearing his trademark flannel jacket.

It was funny cause just a few minutes ago I was out in my weeds (i need a lawnmower) and another dude who I mentioned earlier who had also gotten into an argument with "hank" was walking by and yelling at me to kick his ass and how the white boy punked him, he was goin off on hank. He was drunk as usual. Im assuming he was saying the "punked" thing cause I didnt cower when he pulled the gu, Im not really sure. It was funny anyway.

I have a feeling he might have gotten locked up already, I dont know his real name and I doubt he gets any mail there. He seems to only stay there occasionally.

I appreciate everyones advice. If I see him again I think Ill take Pgs advice and go to my local and ask for the commander. That or the curling iron.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 4924
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 5:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Point #7 makes it clear that no one should mess with Club_Boss.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 907
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't believe this kind of crap can't get someone's gun taken away. Any Second Amendment freaks willing to tell me why insane people deserve the right to a handgun?

Nice strawman argument there. Can you name me even one "second amendment freak" on this forum who was defending this maniac's right to assault and threaten people with a gun? Because there aren't any, and you won't find a single gun enthusiast who would defend ILLEGAL behavior such as this. But hey, don't let that get in the way of you beating the shit out of the strawman you built there.

This guy has no legal right to carry an unlicensed gun, or to carry a gun without a CCW, or to discharge it within city limits, or to threaten someone with it, or to brandish it in public without a valid reason. All of those are serious crimes. It is up to the POLICE to take his ILLEGAL gun away and clearly the police are not interested in enforcing the law in Detroit.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 676
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, it depends...

You really have to be willing to seriously try to understand what our forefathers were trying to do to understand why they viewed the right to bare arms to be so important, and why many believe it is still necessary in a free society. My fiancee and I have had many a debate over that issue. She seems to support the idea of complete and total freedom so long as it doesn't affect others freedoms. However, she also refuses to agree with me on the idea that in order for that to happen, each citizen would have certain situations where you may have to defend those rights, and your well-being. I really think our forefathers viewed arms as a necessary evil in a free society.

Warriorfan,

The problem is that these maniacs (as you called them) clearly have no regard for the law to begin with, so they will more than likely still be able to purchase guns. If they are able to, than many will. That is an even bigger problem when they know without a doubt that no one they encounter has a means of defending themselves. Imagine this nut having this gun in a gun free society. Imagine him across the street from your house. What is to stop him from entering your house and assaulting you the next time he is upset with you. I mean, I'm sure you would feel safe with DPD only a phone call away. But not everywhere has such great police response times. I think if you were in that situation, you would be smart for having the means to protect yourself by any and all means necessary.

I am like many of you on this. I dream of a day when it's all not necessary, I really do. We just aren't there yet.

(Message edited by Sean_Of_Detroit on June 06, 2008)

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 230
Posted on Friday, June 06, 2008 - 9:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, I'd at least file a police report against the guy for pulling the gun on you. At the least, God forbid it should ever happen, if he ever were to do anything to you, there would be a paper trail leading to him.

Django

Post Number: 792
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I think Im gonna do that Eside. Im just afraid of the paper trail leading him to me, you know what I mean. If he found out who "snitched" on him Ive got to worry about my shack. And I do mean shack (I sometimes refer to it as "My Estate")But I love my shack. I think I refered to myself in another thread as " a mix between grizzly Adams and Fred Sanford" As far as ppl asking if I should move, its just not going to happen right now. Maybe if I get some fame with my artwork, I might move up a level, but for now I like this place.

You all have been great with the advice. I love this site. Lowell deserves a party or something. Where else could I get so much good advice on something, along with a few laughs, all while makin new friends?

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 1700
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It kinda disgusts me that DPD gets this report, and just drives off.

WTF?!

Why can't they at least go across the street and talk to the guy, check to see if a) he does have a gun and b) if he is carrying it legally.

It DISGUSTS me this is how DPD does their jobs. Why even bother with these bozos? Save the money.

And of course why would you expect those at the top to make changes?

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 36
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps this entire thread cold be referenced by the "The Possible Real Reason for Uber-Sprawl" thread.

Mayor_sekou
Username: Mayor_sekou

Post Number: 2432
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn you better hope word doesn't get out that you snitched. If one of his peoples saw you just talking to the boys than that may be enough to make life difficult for you. Especially if he gets knocked out of the blue in the near future. Thats a difficult situation, the Police are pathetic for even putting you in this position. And they wonder why people are still flooding out of here, I wish I were Mayor.

Maybe natural selection will work in your benefit because people like this more than not often get killed, get imprisoned, or survive to fight another day. 2 of the 3 options work for you. If you don't want to move or wait to see if he doesn't make it home one day, then I suggest being vigilant and taking action.

Here is what comes to mind as things I might do in your situation:

Move.

Find out who he is. By that I mean find out more than his name, find out if he is somebody who will be missed should something unfortunate happen to him. Is he a doper? Does he have enemies? Is he on parole? Where does his family rest at? Is he really about pulling the trigger on someone, or all show? All the good stuff.

Assert your authority, subtly initiate contact so the next time he comes around waving his pistol at you, introduce him to your shotgun. But be prepared to use it. In fact if it comes to that I imagine you shouldn't hesitate just cock and aim. Justifiable homicide, though you'll probably have to move.

Make your case public. Videotape the guy acting a fool and then mail it to Steve Wilson not the DPD. Tell them your story and if it airs then the police will have to do something especially if he is caught on tape doing illegal stuff.

Move.

Start or join a neighborhood association and make getting rid of him your number one priority. This way you wont be alone and should anything happen to you it wont be a mystery.

Get chummy with the cops. Get to know some of them. Hang out where they hang out, get to know them personally and then bring up your little problem.

Other than that I cant think of anything else right now. Hope I could help at all (which I doubt).

Eastsidedame
Username: Eastsidedame

Post Number: 265
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django: If you're wanting to go national, I know some artsy gallery types here in Houston. The rich are still rich, here, if you know what I mean.

What medium do you work in?

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 37
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 1:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Move- Best advice yet.

Detroit Rises!

Django

Post Number: 798
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Im not movin.

Mayor, I hear you and thank you. This guy is in his mid to late 50s. He doesnt have a crew. Hes just a drunk with temper and gun. If I had probs with a crew down here I might think of moving. Hes a loner. Its not THAT big of a deal. I stood up to him in my own way. He knows Im not afraid of him for the most part. Ive got good ppl on my block, Im goiung to get in touch with the local police commander and see where that takes it. Mayor, I made sure he didnt see me talking to the cops, Im a bit ahead of you on that one. Ive been around.

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 142
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Extend the olive branch..Invite his sorry ass over for a beer, then blow his friggin head off when he steps thru your door..and if ya need a witness to the attempted armed robbery, just give me a shout.
You shouldn't have to suffer a dangerous idiot..the non-dangerous ones are bad enough.
I'm with Club Boss..someone pulls a gun on me, they'd damned well better use it. Don't laugh off a real threat, the morgue is full of folks who did.

Django

Post Number: 801
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx, that idea ran through my head, seriously, it did, but I dont want the mess.

Django

Post Number: 802
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastsidedame, damn, your all the way in Houston. I was hoping to meet you at a picnic or something.

Go on the detroit facebook thing, My website should be on there somewhere. Its not up to date but still works somewhat.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 107
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 7:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1) Detroit police do not prevent crime - they react to it - HOW they react depends on the dynamics of each situation. You can rule them completely out.
2) old drunks with a gun usually do not have "peoples" (I personally wouldn't bother worrying too much about that one). typically they have more civilized siblings who live more, ummmm, status quo, and pity their damn fool, awaiting his death.
3) I'd say that your options are:
a) confront and engage this person over a lengthy period of time. first, make sure to only catch him when he's not blasted. get psychological on he ass. You sound to have an iq hovering around at least 140, so that's the only reason I suggest this one. I am not going to write an essay on the topic, so you can figure out the mechanics of such path.
b) as someone else mentioned, let nature take its course, enjoy the ride, and see what can be learned by the ultimate demise of this person - or worse yet, some other hapless soul.
c) as others have mentioned - move.

I've been drawn into reading this thread off and on for a couple days as your situation has unfolded, and if you are a real person who is describing a real situation, cough, then it truly seems that you are genuinely combobulated and looking for sound advice. Yep, you're in a pickle. Now I'm hungry. Good luck. (oh, "combobulated" is not a word, eh? well it is in my world.)

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1388
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

buy a throw away shotgun and kill the loser.

Bigglenlake

Post Number: 40
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The idea that people would seriously suggest that you kill the person is a negative indicator on the state of Detroit and the mentality of its population. Unbelievable that this sort of idea is considered an acceptable and viable option. Are the lunatics running the institution?

Django

Post Number: 811
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bigg, I cant say that option didnt cross my mind for a second, but Im with you.

140 IQ?? is that good? Should I thank you? Ill google it.LOL

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 6519
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Extend the olive branch..Invite his sorry ass over for a beer, then blow his friggin head off when he steps thru your door.

Amazing! Thanks for making me smile, I needed a little pick me up today! :-) Shows that we still have the old pioneer spirit around here.

Django

Post Number: 813
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:
Extend the olive branch..Invite his sorry ass over for a beer, then blow his friggin head off when he steps thru your door.

This was one of the first evil things I thought of doing, but he probably wouldnt be bringing his new 38.

I quickly put that idea out of my head. But I did think about it in a similar way, as I happen to know he likes double shots of crown royal.

Bigg, I googled 140, where the hell do you see that? Never mind, I appreciate the sentiment though, unless your being sarcastic. In that case, i just dropped down to 65.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 5134
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had a neighbor like this guy fourteen years ago. What made it worse is the guy had kids and his shack, once a well kept Victorian home, was the hangout for neighborhood gangbangers. I reported everything necessary to the cops, but this was in the Archer years, when the cops were occasionally helpful, and there were lots of other neighbors who could have been the snitches. Do you have other neighbors, Django? What's their position on this?
I considered some negative activity, then just decided that all the negative stuff these folks did would catch up with them. It did. I came home from work one day and their house was a charred ruin.
Took a while for that to get cleaned up, but it made them go away. The day after the fire, I cracked open a beer, sat on my steps and watched their inbred asses dragging soggy clothes out of the charred ruin and into the sunset.

Django

Post Number: 815
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 3:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That could very well still happen to "hank" Im biding my time.;)

Retroit
Username: Retroit

Post Number: 191
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, what reaction did you expect from the cops? Telling them that there is a nut case living in Detroit is like telling a sailor that there is water in the ocean!

I say don't worry about him. Once you get your house painted in that graffiti paint scheme, he'll probably be disgusted and move out. In the meantime, if you do have to kill him, then you should drag his body down to the Packard Plant tunnel. It would add some dynamism to your guided tours.

Django

Post Number: 824
Posted on Saturday, June 07, 2008 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He probably would be disgusted, I doubt he has a creative bone in his body.

And I am still looking for an artist to put some of their work up on my house. No joke.