Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Dream Cruise 2008 Logo « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7049
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Dream Cruise 2008 Logo has been unveiled.

Designed by 40 year GM Design Veteran Dick Ruzzin.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080609/AUTO05/806090427/-1/rss

I will summarize the rest of this thread for you to save time.

"Bah, the dream cruise. It's noisy and obnoxious and a traffic nightmare"

"I like the dream cruise, the cars are awesome, it's a lot of fun"

Kathinozarks
Username: Kathinozarks

Post Number: 1275
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnlodge, you are too funny!

Rb336
Username: Rb336

Post Number: 6488
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

john, you forgot one, but i'm not saying what!

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7052
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh right. Well, no sense in re-hashing all that, and all that comes with it.

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 250
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the logo...thanks for posting it, JL.

I'm not a car person...but that day is my husband's "high holy" day. It's the one thing he looks forward to each year. I can't walk the route with him anymore, so I just stay home and let him go with his buddies.

It's an event, like every other event, that has its supporters and its detractors...has good and bad aspects...is great for some and terrible for others.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 2889
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks, Johnlodge!! I think you know how I feel about the Woodward Dream Cruise...

We'll be Gratiot Cruisin' this weekend (Dave is playing there with Thornetta on Saturday night). Just in time to start the summer off right!

Zrx_doug
Username: Zrx_doug

Post Number: 152
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love cars, love cruising..HATE the dream cruise.
It's got about as much to do with real cruising as the Super Bowl does with weekend football games at the local park. In my mind, it stops being fun when it starts being a tourist attraction.
That said, I'll likely be there, eating crow & wasting gas in my big block Mopar wagon..at least for one lap.
:-)

Perfectgentleman
Username: Perfectgentleman

Post Number: 6726
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eh - The logo is kinda weak, I would expect better from a 40 year vet at GM.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 2025
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 8074
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 8:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've always wondered why they keep changing the logo year after year. What ever happened to brand consistency?? Why not keep one main logo and come up with thematic logos for every year?

I've always been somewhat dubious of how this event's been marketed. Whatever happened to this being a grassroots car event where individual people could make up their own logos, sell their own shirts & swag, and just have a day at it??

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1749
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^because everything is a production these days.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2891
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe because I wouldn't buy a t-shirt, hat, mug, magnet, or keychain every year if the design were the same? Woodward Dream Cruise is the brand!!

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 651
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the logo is not bad. If you really like old school hot rod logos check this:

http://lostdragway.com/

Smogboy

Post Number: 8078
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess my thought on it Kathleen is if Woodward Dream Cruise is the brand, then why isn't there any sort of consistency with that? Is there a definitive logo that says that?

I'm not saying for them not to offer up new and interesting swag every year either. Look at the all of the other local brands that are annual events such as the Tigers, Red Wings, and such and they all have new and unique approaches every year (especially around the playoffs) and yet keep a brand consistency with their own respective logos. Their logos are often updated or reconfigured in some unique and cool way whereas the Woodward Dream Cruise comes out with something completely different from the year before. Where's the VISUAL consistency?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1750
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Branding and marketing 101... keep the BRAND consistent. Look it up, I can see why the Super Bowl and rotating championships change it up, but it's in the same location, same time frame each year, what's the issue- leave the logo alone.

It is a merchandising situation just as it was mentioned above, no one will buy the same merchandise with a different year on it. Everyone wants a "keep sake" or the limited edition this and that, we are such simple creatures wanting the newest thing.

Smogboy

Post Number: 8081
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 3:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Viziondetroit, lemme see if I've got this straight now, because I think you and I are asking for/ saying the same things here.

1) The Woodward Dream Cruise needs ONE consistent logo (an example would be the NFL logo).

2) The Woodward Dream Cruise people need to have something new every year that still reinforces their brand (an example would be the new innovative Super Bowl logos created every year for the different venues).

Because if these are the things I think we're both asking for, then hasn't the Dream Cruise people failed in the first category? Is there a graphic that is repeated year after year or is it just the wording of "Woodward Dream Cruise" in whatever new fangled configuration & font? It seems as though they're doing the second part of coming up with new logos for new merchandise every year just fine though.

Again, I'm just asking for clarification.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2892
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 7:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For me, it's just the wording "Woodward Dream Cruise." So as long as that is incorporated into each year's new design, I'm happy...and forking over cash to buy new merchandise each year. And I buy from selected local organizations who are selling the merch to take their proceeds to put back into their organization to provide more activities and services for our kids and seniors and others. I never buy everything from just one organization. I try to divvy it up among several organizations.

Hpgrmln
Username: Hpgrmln

Post Number: 487
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 8:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like that Timing Association logo. My uncle was one of the original creators.

Dream_cruise_director
Username: Dream_cruise_director

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All,

As Executive Director of the Woodward Dream Cruise, I have been reading with interest your comments and perspectives.

Over the years, a "cloud" of some type has been a part of the majority of the event's year to year logos.

This year, with Dick Ruzzin's new 2008 event creation, we plan to utilize his cloud 'background,' moving forward as a brand element that will remain consistent from year to year. The vehicles, of course, will change.

So, for WDC, Inc., the non-profit organization that operates the Dream Cruise, we will utilize the logo rough I am sharing with you here as the unifying mark of the entire board and organization. You guys are seeing this for the first time anywhere.

Keep watching, reading (including our blogs at www.woodwarddreamcruise.com) and we'll see you in August at the Cruise!

Sincerely,

don

INC. LOGO.pdf,application/pdfWoodward Dream Cruise Brand Logo
NEW WDC (17.8 k)

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4871
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for reminding me to get the hell out of town - need to make plans to be far away from R.O. during National Celebration of Exhaust Fumes and Screaming Rednecks Week.

Dream_cruise_director

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

C'mon, Oldredfordette, try us you'll like us!

This year we'll also have a number of green car components that are a nod to environmental responsibility and the new breed of hybrid hot rod engines.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 217
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cool! Thanks for the "inside" info, D_C_D.
Don't mind Oldredfordette..she's prolly the one who's always calling the cops on the cruisers on Telegraph..

Are you guys who are running the show expecting the high price of fuel to have a big impact on attendance? I know I'd skip the trip if I didn't live in town, gotta wonder how many folks who would normally come are gonna pass on it this year.

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 729
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have friends from Chicago coming in again.

Dream_cruise_director

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 11:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Zrx: Good question on the fuel prices. So far, everyone I have spoken with from around the country and the world don't want to miss this one day happening---whether they are flying in from the UK or driving in, via caravan, from the west coast.

Kathleen

Post Number: 2915
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 12:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome, Dream_cruise_director! Thanks for clarifying the WDC brand and logo.

I'm a longtime supporter of the event as I live in the 13-Woodward area, just west of Coolidge behind Beaumont Hospital. We've attended almost every year, missing the event only when we had no other choice. In the weeks and days leading up to Cruise Saturday, I'm out walking Woodward, enjoying the cars and the people. And in the last few years, I've even begun taking the Friday off work to hang out along Woodward while everything is being set up. It's a blast, and I wouldn't miss it!

Will the GM 100 and Model T 100 anniversaries be noted somewhere during the event?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 751
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the Woodward Dream Cruise?

Pythonmaster
Username: Pythonmaster

Post Number: 181
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think an outhouse with a satellite dish on top would make a fine dream cruise logo.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4877
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With a broken lawn chair hanging on the side.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 223
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 4:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why ya gotta hate? You don't see us gearheads putting down your bingo nights & quilting bees, do ya?

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 493
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Why ya gotta hate? You don't see us gearheads putting down your bingo nights & quilting bees, do ya?"

I live for the cruise. The only event all year I care about. It burns me to hear all the hostility toward something that brings that much enjoyment to some of us. Im not a sports fan. I don't complain when theres a hockey game in town and traffic gets congested.Let us have our entertainment and you can have yours.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 225
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, just outta curiosity, you wouldn't happen to be running a "Hi Perf Gremlin" would ya?
(Had to ask, what with the username)
My second car was a '73 Gremlin with a built '68 AMC 390 in it..was good for low elevens at the strip & driving my auto shop instructor nuts..

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 494
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 6:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nope, fully stock. The straight 6 they used in all their cars, jeeps included.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 226
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahh, yes, the almighty AMC 232.."da buzzin' half dozen."
Had one of those in a '69 Rebel Wagon that came along after the Gremlin self-destructed one night..good ol' James..aka the "Rebel Without a Floor." Not exactly Dream Cruise material, but whattaya expect for fifty bucks?
Ahh, to be young again..

Hpgrmln

Post Number: 497
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Actually its the 258. They used that engine in the Jeeps into the late-80s. The commanche pickups used them, as did the Eagles. I've had options to put a different engine in, but I like the fact that it's historically correct, and since the company is defunct that adds some importance.
Actually, at last years WDC, I counted 10 Gremlins, all in surprisingly good shape.
As for a '69 Rebel Wagon, Im not sure I've EVER seen one in person. Those are very few and far between.

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4880
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A nod to environmental responsibility. Gee thanks.

Zrx_doug

Post Number: 233
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oldredford..Nine tenths of the time, I ride an "environmentally responsible" motorcycle or drive a scrawny little Corolla, both of which are kept in excellent states of tune..what I do for kicks on the weekends with a big-block powered gas guzzler doesn't offset my personal carbon footprint enough to show a measurable difference from some tree hugger in a Prius who drives the same number of miles..and it doesn't come close to that of the typical Detroit hooptie that's running around town with the check engine light taped over..

Innovation in efficiency comes from practical knowledge..the people you see playing with hi-perf cars on weekends today are the ones who'll be designing the "environmentally responsible" vehicles of tomorrow..

Oldredfordette

Post Number: 4882
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whatever. I have to breathe the clouds of exhaust that rise over Woodward Avenue for the Dream Cruise week (month?) and my asthma doesn't care about future innovations of tomorrow.

I hate the Dream Cruise, I make no bones, enjoy your week, I'll make a point of staying away (if possible, as I live right off Woodward) from the helicopters, loud mufflers, screaming peeing drunks, who are also driving drunk through Royal Oak, etc. etc. etc. It's only 7 days a year so I can thank God for that.

Johnlodge

Post Number: 7286
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, we know! ;)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.