Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Tattoo Artists « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1152
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need some suggestions on where to go for my next tattoo. The last one I had done was in Lansing. I live in the city, but I would be willing to go anywhere to get the best quality/service.

Fot the record, I have my design...

(Message edited by detroitstar on June 10, 2008)

Mdoyle
Username: Mdoyle

Post Number: 439
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heggi is pretty well known
http://markheggie.com/

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 863
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Suzanne in Ann Arbor unfortunately passed away a few years back, she was Michigans best as far as Im concerned. Im lucky and proud to have one of her pieces.

There is another guy in AA who is very well known for his tribal designs but has moved far beyond that late 80s fad. I dont know his name but it wouldnt be hard to find him. Ive only read about him once but have faith in what I did read.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, June 10, 2008 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My favorite is Bob Tyrell
http://www.bobtyrrell.com/
http://www.myspace.com/bobtyrr ell

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1157
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll try giving this one quick bump. Any other suggestions? Thanks for those above!

Alley
Username: Alley

Post Number: 313
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

definitely Mark Heggie. His shop is called Big Top Tattoo in Utica, all of the artist there are awesome. You might have to wait awhile if you go with Heggie, I know he's booked up into the future.
http://www.bigtoptattoo.com/

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 49
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff Zuck at Name Brand Tattoo in Ann Arbor.

Django

Post Number: 871
Posted on Wednesday, June 11, 2008 - 11:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is Zuck the guy who was in the paper recently? famous for helping start the whole tribal thing back in the mid to late 80s? From what I saw of the guy Im talking about, he has come a LONG way. Amazing stuff. That name Zuck rings a bell but Im not sure.

Im not huge on tatts but the work I saw was really something.

Animalparade
Username: Animalparade

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen some of Heggie's tattoos and his work at a gallery show last year, and he is fabulous. He works out of Big Top Tattoo in Utica.

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 17
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Matt Hesler at XS in Rochester. That guy does some seriously amazing stuff. He gets profiled in all the magazines too.

http://www.xstattoo.com

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 85
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chase at XS did a tattoo for my wife that has our kids names in it, and it is awesome. She gets lots of compliments on it.

(Message edited by JFre66_77 on June 12, 2008)

Mclark
Username: Mclark

Post Number: 18
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 1:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah I knew Andy (a piercer there) growing up. That shop is awesome. I don't have any tattoos but if I were to get one, I'd definitely go to XS having seen the quality of work those guys do.

Detroitfats
Username: Detroitfats

Post Number: 51
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 9:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django,
I think Jeff might be a little too young to have started the 80's tribal thing. Still, he's one of the best I've seen.

Detroiterbychoice
Username: Detroiterbychoice

Post Number: 24
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mclark,

You mean this andy? ha ha ha.

http://drumsensor.com/aboutus. aspx

Jeduncan
Username: Jeduncan

Post Number: 204
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paw, Raven and Jeremy at Michigan Tattoo in Dearborn Heights. These aren't merely tattoo artists, but actual artists as well -- CCS and WSU art graduates. One actually runs his own exhibit here and there out of his warehouse in Russel.

Give them a peek, they kick ass at what they do.

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 300
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have tattoos by Tim Alford and Jay Wheeler at Eternal Tattoos- and I'm very happy with the art they did.

http://www.jaywheeler.com/

http://www.eternaltattoos.com/

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 720
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know anything about the place near Bricktown? You can see their sign from the People Mover. It's on the West side of Beaubien.

My fiancee really wanted to check this place out, and maybe meet the people running it.

(Message edited by sean_of_detroit on June 12, 2008)

Umbound
Username: Umbound

Post Number: 184
Posted on Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Theres a new place in Pontiac, The Spot, my friends uncle just opened it up and its a place worth looking into as well if you cant decide.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1518
Posted on Tuesday, July 15, 2008 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bob tyrrell a great artist - check out his kid rock tat
http://bobtyrrell.com/behindth escreams/?album=Kid_Rock

Django

Post Number: 1342
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 1:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ive been thinkin about getting a sprawl of Spirit of Detroit on my back but would want someone good. I'm gonna check into those CCS guys (or girls). Thanks Jeduncan. Do you know them as friends??

Does anyone think my idea is cheesy? I think it would be pretty cool having a huge spirit o D the outstretched arms reaching on to my the tips of my shoulders.

I'm not a big tattoo guy but thought it would be a compliment to myself and this city. My son Gibby loves the idea, but hes 13. At 13 I might have thought having Jim Morrison's portrait tattooed on my forehead would be cool.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 4:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I want one, but am to scared. Not a big tattoo/piercing person (The Girly is though).

I'd like a kind of Heineken Logo banner popular among our cities rappers.... only I want it to say Detroit, and be much more civil war era raggedy (if that makes any sense). All torn and such, you know? Then above it, have the Detroit skyline. I think that would look awesome. I also think I'm still a little to young to get one though.

Django

Post Number: 1346
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 6:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you dont REALLY want a tattoo, dont get a tattoo.
Ive got three. During my first one by Suzanne in Ann Arbor, my bodys natural painkillers kicked in about 10 minutes into the process an I swear I was high. It was almost relaxing, like an opiate buzz.

Dont bother Sean. Not unless you really desire one.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2689
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have two from Suzanne in Ann Arbor, done back in the mid-'80s. Still holding up!

Detroitstar

Post Number: 1244
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have finalized my design...i will have the motto of the city of detroit on the inside of my arms, at the bicep.

Speramus Meliora (right arm)
Resurget Cineribus (left arm)

This will be complimented by the spirit of Detroit coming next summer.

More specifically now, can anyone suggest an artist that does very good work with script text?

(Message edited by detroitstar on July 16, 2008)

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 10217
Posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jay Wheeler is a fantastic artist! He has been covered by the many tattoo magazines out there. He certainly isn't to be missed.

Davemarc
Username: Davemarc

Post Number: 59
Posted on Friday, July 25, 2008 - 8:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Big ed at royal oak tattoo.I have MANY and all except one where done by him.Great place,clean and friendly.I get alot of the"does it hurt?"questions.Its like having a sunburn,and having someone draw on it.When I have an idea,I put it on the fridge and look at it for a few weeks.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.