Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » "Great Lakes Invitational" Hockey Tournament « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Denny
Username: Denny

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I promoted this tournament during 70's, 80's.
from our move from th Olympia to th "new" Joe.
Also did promos for Jr. A Wings during Mark & Marty's playing days...I want to do it over again! A burger from Roxanne at th Lindell would be a start..

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1183
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 8:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have been to every GLI (except 1996) since 1991. It is a great Detroit sporting tradition. It is a fun event at The Joe, but I can only imagine how cool it must have been at the old Olympia!

College hockey is my favorite sport, and this is by far the biggest holiday tournament in the country. The only regular season tournament that compares is the Beanpot held between the 4 Boston schools in early February. It amuses me though how MSU and UM fans think they own the tournament, but it is actually hosted by MTU!

(Message edited by detroitstar on June 15, 2008)

Denny

Post Number: 2
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 8:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I forgot to say, My home is on Coronado Island, Ca., across th bay bridge from San Diego..I travelled back & forth, each year, {11} yrs., Stayed at "The Detroit Leland, alternated between th Leland, & "Townhouse" from Sept. thru Dec., every year. Haven"t been back since '89.
Miss it,& everything 'bout those days like I miss my Mom..

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1408
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Coronado! Why the hell would you want to come back to Detroit? (just kidding) I used to live in Bay Ho, could watch the fireworks from Sea World on weekends, it was nice.
What were you a Rear Admiral or something?
Lindell AC is long gone, Have her buy you one of those 20.00 burgers at the Rattlesnake Club on Jos Campau (River Place). :-)

Denny

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, June 15, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone know anything of Johnny, Jimmy, & Stella?
Butsicaris of course...owners, Lindell AC........

(Message edited by denny on June 16, 2008)

Pete
Username: Pete

Post Number: 114
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 7:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

HUSKIES OF THE NORTH!

Detroitplanner
Username: Detroitplanner

Post Number: 1679
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mark and Marty Howe.. wow brings back memories. Dad used to take us on a bus to go see them play. I miss the old barn and its gigantic escalator. I suppose after seeing some of the escalators in DC's metro its not so big, but back then it was the biggest one I ever saw.

Denny

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 8:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A fond memory at th old barn......One day,around lunch; Ted L. was G.M. then, He,Linc,myself went down to th ice...Karl Wall

enda was practicing...
Sony Eliot,went up with him, & actually "inched" across th hi wire behind & HOLDIN on to him........I needed a "stiff" one after that!

Sharms
Username: Sharms

Post Number: 63
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great memories.....my dad was a very good friend of "Linc", Lincoln Cavalieri who was the GM of the Olympia. Used to get great tickets through that connection. In the late 90's, I worked with Linc's son Bob at an arena in Utah.

Denny

Post Number: 5
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Sharms......Bob started at th Olympia....
Linc was a pure gentleman, & Bob,seemed a "chip off th 'ol block".....I liked him a bunch..
Linc gave me my "start".....

Sharms

Post Number: 64
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob Cavalieri was the executive director of the E Center, a 10700 seat venue built for the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. It was the sight of the Olympic Ice Hockey Championships. (To be correct, we had to add the term "ice" to all hockey references.) I was the marketing director for the building during its construction and through the first six years of it's existence.

Denny

Post Number: 8
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

do you know where Bob is these days?........
Linc?..........Thanks for the post Sharms...
I appreciate that........

Sharms

Post Number: 65
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last I was aware, Bob was a VP of Sales and Development at SMG. Company headquarters is in Philadelphia so i assume he's living in that area.

Not sure if Linc is still living. I know he and his wife moved to the west coast of Florida many years ago.

Denny

Post Number: 9
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sharms, do you remember Mikey Giordano,
th Zamboni driver?, also, Henri Boucha?

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was Henry Boucha's paper boy when he played here. A couple years ago he was signing autographs in Dearborn. I walked up to him and told him I was his paper boy and that he owed me for the last 2 weeks back in the early 70's. So thats about 36 years with interest. We had a good laugh. Great penalty killer and I loved the Indian war dance the organist would play when he scored.

Denny

Post Number: 10
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Downriviera...I keep in touch with Henri thru his folks in Warroad......We catchup now & then on phone.....He's still kickin & I'll bet he still knows he owes you for th paper....I'm brand new on th site, & not real comfortable posting, as Y'all are most likely true "natives"
I dont pretend to be from there, but I sure recognized a GREAT place when I first stumbled on the scene around '72.....

Downriviera
Username: Downriviera

Post Number: 699
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I pretty much grew up at the Olympia, played against the Howe boys a few times over the years as well as in juniors against that powerhouse Olympia Agency's/Jr Wings team. Great memories.

Denny

Post Number: 11
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I"m sure Henri would pay you for th paper, but bet he wouldn't include the interest........
I watched Mark, Marty, AND Gord all play one time
exhibition, Houston Aeros vs. Oklahoma City Blazers in OKC in 1976.....I've pretty much lost track of everybody...

Denny

Post Number: 15
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Chuck Tudan worked for me during GLI promotions, both at the Olympia & thru th move to the 'Joe'....A loyal worker, that I"d like to catch up with.....He's a native & true Detroiter.

Raptor56
Username: Raptor56

Post Number: 359
Posted on Wednesday, June 25, 2008 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been to a number of GLI tournaments in the past 8 years. Buddy of mine used to go to Tech so we'd go sit up by their pep band and jeer the other team. Learned some "interesting" and funny cheers/songs.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.