Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Are Going to War with Livonia? [The radio drama] « Previous Next »
Archive through June 19, 2008D_mcc30 06-19-08  3:41 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2536
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha. Thanks, D_mcc. I had no idea how to end that one. :-)

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2524
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And then they ate cake" :-)

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.wdetfm.org/audio/ar ticles/livonia_war.MP3

here it is, I play the intense General of Detroit.as well as general Zulu talking about op. fenkel

(Message edited by chi-taku on June 19, 2008)

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 811
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 5:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul... Detroit has Livonia beet on everything you just mentioned.

Livonia schools are overrun with a very serious underground drug problem that many of our elders don't seem to see. I have never been to a Livonia party in my youth that didn't have serious drug use going on.

As far as police cover... what a joke. They are the most racist police force in our metro. What... they are required to have like one percent minority on their force, and they can't even manage to do that? Then you have situations like mine. Whenever I called DPD, they have responded in three to five minutes. In Livonia it is much worse. When anyone from my very large family living in Livonia calls LPD they often don't even show because of a few bad eggs that once existed in our family (happens in every family).

Livonia police, government, and schools are/is the most corrupt, vial, racist bureaucracy in Michigan. Detroit beats them out every day in my book. When I got pulled over in Livonia, they took a look at my license and you know what they said? They said "I see your from Detroit" and then asked me what I was doing out here. Then they took my license back to their car, came back, and told me from now on maybe I should stay over with the rest of "my kind". Whatever the heck that meant. I told them I grew up in Livonia, and then I was told that from what they have seen, only lowlifes and drug dealers move to Detroit.

Nice people they are?

And that isn't even the half of it.

Anyone who falls for the myth that Livonia schools or police response is better than Detroit don't have a clue.

You're being fooled by those nicely cut front lawns I think...

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 812
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 5:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, and last I checked, Livonia has been losing population too. Once the kids grow up and graduate, it seems they either can't or don't want to stick around there for very long. Livonia is one of the reasons our young are leaving Michigan.

Go take a drive down Middlebelt between Seven Mile and Plymouth. It doesn't look all that different to Detroit during the beginning of it's downfall. They are losing many of their big businesses as well, and if the big three ever start doing more layoffs, Livonia would really hurt.

I don't wish death on Livonia, so much as I just wish they would change their ways. That is not to mention, it would be nice if everyone around those parts would be willing to admit Livonia is not the paradise they think it is.

I mean for Christ sakes, several large drug rings are run behind that very fake facade of perfection. That is not to mention the mafia ties that still exist.

An area that perfect must be hiding something... just think about that... it makes sense, it does. I love Livonia too, but it needs just as much (if not more) help than Detroit!

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5824
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL that was pretty funny Chitaku...

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1369
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wtf? Zulu Warrior with a British accent?

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 5825
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 8:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know ri Gnome...lol

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 4186
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Someone should sue WDET for royalties.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 1639
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please tell me there is a link somewhere to this..

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 856
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean - I think that you're missing that the experiences of a few thousand hipsters in Midtown are not even close to those of hundreds of thousands of Detroiters living in the 'hoods. If we could measure such a thing I'd bet you that at least half of Detroit would gladly take the amenities and lifestyle of Livonia over their current situation.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2533
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BTW, I currently live in "the hoods" of Detroit, so I actually have first hand experience of what's happening in Detroit.

It's nothing to be proud of...

A city is nothing without its neighborhoods. :-(

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well all I can say is that in the nine years I was living in Livonia, I never was robbed or had my house broken into.
I also never was afraid to walk the streets at night. I also had plenty of convenient and relatively cheap places to shop.
Just about every city is losing population because of the economy. There are good and bad cops every where. I never get pulled over maybe because I'm older and don't drive like a maniac.
I would guess at least three times (or more) as many Detroiters would rather live in Livonia (if they could afford it) than the opposite.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2539
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think a lot of people are missing the point about these discussions of who's moving into the city and who's moving out, what's attractive about or repulsive about life in Detroit.

There is a slow, gradual transformation taking place. It's happening, even without vital leadership on transit, schools, crime, zoning requirements, insurance gouging, high property taxes, municipal corruption, and more.

Sure, relatively speaking, the city is a more attractive place for only a hardy minority of people. Sure, it's only happening in that T-zone comprising areas adjoining Jefferson and Woodward south of the Boulevard. But this is happening slowly, gradually. Once we get a critical mass of leadership, you're going to see things really start happening. And if we're able to get light rail along Grand River, Michigan, and Gratiot avenues, well, then you'll see some changes in the neighborhoods, too. It took 50 years to empty out the city of people with means. It will take some time to rebuild the city.

And it will happen. When you look at the trends across the country, reinvestment in cities is the major economic driver. And even when you look at figures like housing starts, Detroit is leading the region. Things are starting to equalize on the urban-suburban divide. And that's good for the REGION, not just the city. It doesn't mean the destruction of the suburbs. In a lot of ways, it's good news for the suburbs, especially older, inner-ring burbs.

I want you to imagine a streetcar line creating more jobs per dollar spent than a new freeway. Those people will not all live in the city. I want you to imagine the construction and renovation jobs spurred by light rail. Those people, also, will not all live in the city. Once we get past this idea of us vs. them, we'll see that reinvestment in the city is good for all of us. But we need to grow up and behave like a region, not a bunch of smug, self-centered fiefdoms.

Craig

Post Number: 857
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"But we need to grow up and behave like a region, not a bunch of smug, self-centered fiefdoms."

Agreed

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2537
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As long as it happens before we and our children all die...

Evelyn
Username: Evelyn

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very much like the sentiment about Detroit coming back through regional cooperation, Detroitnerd... but is my browser being weird, or are some of the posts in different threads showing up twice?

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 822
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Paul, I don't think I am a hipster. I didn't move to Detroit because it was kewl. I don't go hang out at Starbucks or what have you. I moved here before all that really. I live in one of those neighborhoods you mentioned. Not only that, but I live with two white female roommates. None of us has ever been robbed or assaulted in the time we have been here. One of them even walks her dog every morning in one of those neighborhoods you speak of. She's small too. 5,7 and 120 pounds (I think). She has NEVER had a problem. My fiancee and I also have plans to raise our children in Detroit. No hesitation there. Why do you think this impossible here?

Have you really gone through that much bad stuff in this city? Or are you just listening to other's fear? Detroit is not really all that bad. It may look blighted and such, but that means squat.

Revitalization of the neighborhoods is coming. We just haven't gotten that far yet. It's a process... It takes time. Have a little faith my friend.

Good and bad cops? I'm talking majority here. They can't even get one black or Arabic person on the squad. They are horrible. Livonia is no paradise by any standards. I was eating at a Burger King last week in Livonia. There was this couple behind me eating. Out the window a black gentlemen road by on a bike and the guy said very loudly to his wife; "Look at that (expletive) coming through here like he owns the place." Then he made a racist joke which I refuse to repeat here. Everyone in the restaurant gave a snicker. It made me want to vomit. I got up, informed the guy that I in fact had black family members, and that that was extremely offensive to me. He just laughed and told me to (expletive) off.

I like Livonia, but it is no paradise my friend. Most of these people sit in their cars or houses all the time, so there is never a chance for problems to arise. It's completely sterile , safe, but bland. Not the kind of place I want to be.

I have fear in Livonia. In Livonia people are always judging you. Your appearance, your car, where you work, the list goes on and on. In Detroit, you can be yourself. It is just that simple to me.

I have no fear in Detroit. As long as I am humble, friendly, loyal, and respect others... I don't think I will have many problems in the future as well.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 2561
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I thought that some people were copying their posts to other threads, so I thought I'd share my posts on those threads too. You are not experiencing "technical difficulties." :-)

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 7414
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Folks in Livonia don't have to hide under the Hitler rule. They need to embrace economic stability, race and culture.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 219
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gimmme a break. After reading this thread I am going out now, while it's still light out, to buy security bars for my windows and doors. I had no idea how many nazis, drug king pins and mafia members lived in my area. The black and arab policemen on the Livonia police department will be glad to know that they are non-existent. Better check your facts on that one.

Racial slurs? I hear them everywhere. Downtown Detroit, Bloomfield Hills, Hamtramck, Inkster and Livonia and every other city I have been in including Europe.

Right or wrong, people judge each other here, there, and in Podunk, Iowa.

Everyone should want a thriving metropolitan area but we have to work together to accomplish it. All I see is Detroiters running down the suburbs and the suburbs running down Detroit. With those attitudes we're all doomed.

Awfavre
Username: Awfavre

Post Number: 264
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, anyway, I heard the radio piece this morning & thought it was hilarious. I loved how they ended with Itsjeff’s post listing the POW names. I almost drove off the road, I was laughing so hard.

Bravo, WDET!

Bigglenlake
Username: Bigglenlake

Post Number: 157
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 2:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, do you realize that you just passed judgement on all the people in Livonia while complaining that they are judgemental?

The land of contradictions is no paradise son.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been to Livonia much (I grew up in Oxford and live in Detroit now) but it sounds like a bunch of assholes. I don't know why Sean says he likes it if the people there are openly racist to him. Add in the drug rings and rampant drug use in the high school parties and the mafia, the corrupt government and schools and racist corrupt police and all the young people leaving Michigan becasue of Livonia and I don't know why Sean says he likes Livonia.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 829
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Because I was generalizing. Livonia has a lot of good qualities too. However, the original comment by our fellow poster painted Livonia as a paradise. All I was saying was that it's poo poo smells just as bad as Detroit's.

I judge Livonia to an extent, I guess your right. It's hard not to when you see it over and over and over and over and over again. I love many things in Livonia. It is still a part of our wonderful Metro. The Spree is fun. That new Rec Center they built is amazing. Oh, and how could I forget Bates Cheeseburgers. Those are possibly the best burgers in the world. I love them.

I like how that one street of Six or Seven Mile (can't remember which) decorates for Christmas.

Livonia is nice. However, it has it's share of problems. Livonia has the luxury of being able to hide it's problems and get them overlooked. I guess that is what really frustrates me.

Oh, and as far as LPD's minority count; That may have changed. Through most of the 90s and early 2000's however, it was a constant on and off problem. I would be very happy if that was not the case anymore. However, anyone who thinks that Livonia is any safer/better than Detroit is living on fantasy island. There are neighborhoods in Detroit much nicer and safer than anything in Livonia.

Benfield
Username: Benfield

Post Number: 17
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the worst ghetto neighborhoods of Livonia? Crimewise, any areas to just stay away from? I know most of Detroit pretty well but Livonia to me is like Timbuktu.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 830
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Benfield...

There are a ton of really great people in Livonia too!

They just have their share of problems they need to work through.

Craig

Post Number: 858
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"There are neighborhoods in Detroit much nicer and safer than anything in Livonia."

If in your calculation of "safer" you are excluding little things like burglary, auto theft, assault, shouted insults, arson, intimidation, malicious destruction of property, and illegal dumping then you may be right.

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sean, it sounds to me like you have had your share of problems with Livonia that you need to work through.

Benfield, stay away from anything north of Joy road, West of Inkster road, south of 8 mile and east of Haggerty. If you do this you will never be a victim in Livonia.

Lefty2
Username: Lefty2

Post Number: 1430
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 9:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This just in:
Wednesday, June 20, 2008 Posted: 9:05 PM EST (0405 GMT)
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- U.S. President George W. Bush has announced that war against Livonia has begun.
• That every effort would be made to spare the lives of innocent civilians,
• But the campaign will be "broad and concerted" and will use "decisive force."
• No outcome but victory will be accepted,
• Michigan's freedom will be defended, and freedom will be brought to others.

busg war

Bush: "I assure you this will not be a campaign of half measures and we will accept no outcome but victory."

Yeah, Detroit will be saved!

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 841
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Craig, I most certainly am not.

Craig

Post Number: 860
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ Then tell us where these Detroit neighborhoods can be found. You've made a bold statement with your judgement that all of Livonia is eclipsed by the level of safety in some areas of Detroit. Detroit was my home, and after that it remained home for much of my family who eventually relocated to Livonia. I've not yet met a Detroit ex-pat in Livonia who laments a frying-pan-fire experience with crime. Sounds to me like you're confusing a tormented childhood with empirical measures of criminality, danger, and quality of life.

Danny

Post Number: 7416
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where are the worst ghetto neighborhoods of Livonia? Try 5 Mile and Middlebelt and Plymouth Rd. between Middlebelt and Inkster.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 134
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sometimes... I will go grocery shopping in Livonia. It is there where I see the scariest people. I get scared. I'm not easily rattled either. Judgement day is what it feels like. Spooky. However, the wordy phrases that are bantered about as a result are amusing. I shall now retire to the drawing room. X&O's. Gg.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 862
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The point was that they have their share of problems too.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 4856
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I particularly liked Detroitnerd's post above which included:

"Sure, relatively speaking, the city is a more attractive place for only a hardy minority of people. Sure, it's only happening in that T-zone comprising areas adjoining Jefferson and Woodward south of the Boulevard. But this is happening slowly, gradually. Once we get a critical mass of leadership, you're going to see things really start happening. And if we're able to get light rail along Grand River, Michigan, and Gratiot avenues, well, then you'll see some changes in the neighborhoods, too. It took 50 years to empty out the city of people with means. It will take some time to rebuild the city."

As for Livonia, I find it little worse or better than other members of our family of communities. I have a number of open-minded friends who happen to live there, care deeply about the challenges facing the City of Detroit and are appalled by the opting out of the SMART system.

As the years pass Livonia, like many other aging built out inner / middle ring burbs, are increasingly find themselves sharing the same problems of their other older cousins -- declining population, aging population, declining tax base, increasing problems of decaying infrastructure, crime and business loss.

I suspect and am hopeful that a flipping point will soon occur where these communities come to understand their common fate and come together to resist their common enemies -- unbridled sprawl that is destroying both them and our state's rural beauty, prejudicial insurance policies, unfair sharing of the problems of the poor and the us-against-them tax incentive policies that are draining every communities' treasuries.

The lack of a common metropolitan planning and sharing policy is like watching dominoes fall from Detroit outward.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 365
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I have never been to a Livonia party in my youth that didn't have serious drug use going on.

Really? During my high school years from 1996-2000, I went to many parties, and I don't ever recall witnessing anything more than drinking and maybe a smoke. My friend, who used to live by and party with Franklin students during the same time agrees. I've been to numerous parties in neighbor's backyards since I moved in, and unless you're calling beer and tequila hard drugs, I disagree.
quote:

Go take a drive down Middlebelt between Seven Mile and Plymouth. It doesn't look all that different to Detroit during the beginning of it's downfall. They are losing many of their big businesses as well

Actually, in the last 10 years, I'd say the net number of "big businesses" has increased between Seven Mile and Plymouth. Livonia Mall is hurting, but the addition of the Millenium Park development (replacing Ladbroke), the Wal-Mart redevelopment, and the expansion of a large AAA office and health care facilities come to mind. Livonia Mall is to be demolished and replaced later this year. A Lowes is slated to replace the "old" Wal-Mart.
quote:

...and if the big three ever start doing more layoffs, Livonia would really hurt.

As would every other city in the entire Metro region.
quote:

Most of these people sit in their cars or houses all the time, so there is never a chance for problems to arise.

Really? I see my neighbors at local bars, neighbor's patios and at block parties. I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here.
quote:

Livonia police, government, and schools are/is the most corrupt, vial, racist bureaucracy in Michigan.

quote:

Anyone who falls for the myth that Livonia schools or police response is better than Detroit don't have a clue.

quote:

There are neighborhoods in Detroit much nicer and safer than anything in Livonia.

Congratulations, you've just made a fool of yourself.

It sounds like you had some bad experiences, perhaps some exaggerated to make a point, and you're making broad generalizations about the city as a result. I assure you that in a city of nearly 100,000, you will find plenty of assholes and racists, regardless of where you are. I've been called "white boy" on multiple occasions while downtown, and it hasn't stopped me from going.
quote:

I mean for Christ sakes, several large drug rings are run behind that very fake facade of perfection. That is not to mention the mafia ties that still exist.

"This guy I know..."

Wazootyman

Post Number: 366
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

As for Livonia, I find it little worse or better than other members of our family of communities. I have a number of open-minded friends who happen to live there, care deeply about the challenges facing the City of Detroit and are appalled by the opting out of the SMART system.

I agree with your post. I don't recall anyone declaring Livonia as paradise - I will be the first to admit it's not. But for the most part, I have found its residents to be open-minded. Some seem to hold a grudge against the city, perhaps discouragement as they compare their youth (trips to Hudsons downtown) to what became of the declining CBD in the 70's and 80's. I never experienced their Detroit; it's only been on the up-swing since I started visiting.

Again, I can only work off of personal experience, but I ran into my neighbors last night as a group of my friends piled into my car to head to River Days. They were heading out on a bike ride, and said they'd like to hear what it's like, as they're thinking of checking it out on Saturday.

I also believe that the Livonia SMART opt-out was partially due to poor wording on the ballot. Knowing my position ahead of time (NOT to opt-out), I found the wording confusing, and almost voted for the opposite. It was a while ago, but I recall it basically stating that a vote for YES would create a new Livonia Transit system, making a much smaller point of opting-out of SMART. Also, I believe voter turn-out was around 10%.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 863
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazooty... we must be seeing different Livonias... LOL! I guess it's all in your perspective, isn't it?

But there is not a chance in Hell I would ever send my kids to a Livonia school.

It is my view. I don't think that makes either of us a fool. It just means we have different views. I think there is room in this state for both Detroit and Livonia.... it's those exurbs we need to be worried about. :-)

Oh... Livonia residents take very good care of their lawns. Never seen such beautifully manicured grass. :-)

Hey... off topic, what does Livonia mean? Where did it get it's name? Just curious. I know little about Livonia history. Was Livonia once a small town like Farmington?

Wazootyman

Post Number: 367
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suppose. I've lived here for a cumulative total of about 17 years, and have seen a lot.

I understand we have different views, but you're making claims that just plain don't make sense. Then again, I suppose I don't know Livonia's police response - I've never had a reason to contact the police.

I'm all for Detroit, but to degrade Livonia in an attempt to boost Detroit is absolutely the wrong approach.

There's no perfect metric to judge which school districts are the "best", but the fact that all schools are NCA accredited, 90% of LPS graduates attend higher education, and that they have the highest PTA membership in the state says a lot. Even without comparing LPS to DPS, I can't imagine why you would never send your kids to a Livonia school. But, your choice.

A lot of peoples' lawns look good, but I feel like while lawncare is rather superficial, it says a lot about the homeowner. Someone who lets their lawn go to weeds or home to fall into disrepair lacks neighborhood pride.

Regarding your final question, according to Detroit Today:
quote:

Livonia's name comes from a small community near Estonia and Latvia.

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 704
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 7:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vast majority of Livonia residents want SMART to come back.

What's confusing to many people is that the newspaper stories tell us that SMART will shut down or lose federal funds unless you vote YES. This is all false propaganda. The loss of bus service was caused by the loss of state revenue sharing from the tax on fuel and not the loss of property tax revenue. Livonia residents pay the amount of taxes for mass transit as everyone else based primarily on ADA requirements.

A vote of NO next August 2010 only defeats the increase of your county property tax. It is illegal to shut down SMART or cut any funding for the transit dependent including minorities and the low income.

Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 871
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 7:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazooty...

Some of the things in those above posts really was meant to sound a little silly. Was that not obvious to anyone on here? The idea is that it's all on a persons perspective. It stinks to hear me say all those horrible things about your home, whether they are true or not, isn't it? Now go back to some of my above posts, and switch Livonia for Detroit, and you get the idea of what Detroiters hear all day, everyday.

Whether it is true or not is sometimes irrelevant. People forget they are talking to people about their home, and they are insulting the people they are talking to. Even if all that was true about Livonia, does it give me any right to say that to someone about their home.

I was trying to make a point. I don't think anyone really got it.

Now on the other hand; if the shoe really was on the other foot, and Detroit was the one doing really good, and Livonia was doing really bad...

Would I think I was hot stuff going on LivoniaYES.com and belittling the less fortunate residents, and making fun of the people moving there to try to help a bad situation get better? I would not, I really would maybe go there and try to help.

I just couldn't sit on my computer and make fun of the less fortunate area a few miles from my house. I would... in fact.... yes, I would be excited to go over and try to lift them up to that level.

:::SIGH:::

The point was missed... never mind... :-(

Sometimes I wonder why I bother... but never for long. :-) Today is going to be a beautiful day! :-)

Danny

Post Number: 7417
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 9:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trainman,

By 2010, lot's a people will vote YES in the SMART bus millage. Because they understand that they will pay pennies out of their pocket to keep SMART running. A no vote will the SMART Buses dissapear for good. Public transit is a required priority in most cities and towns. That includes LIVONIA their Nazi-Germany/Hitler attitude.

Ggores
Username: Ggores

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW. I just thought that all the ribbing on Livonians was in most part jest. But I hear these loud boom booms coming from the direction of Downtown Detroit right now and now I'm thinking that maybe ... I'm heading to the basement!

Trainman
Username: Trainman

Post Number: 714
Posted on Tuesday, June 24, 2008 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danny,

A NO vote only defeats the increase, if any.
Learn the facts before you post.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.