Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Is Suburbia Dead? » Archive through June 17, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Iheartthed
Username: Iheartthed

Post Number: 3202
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

IMO, the decline of the sprawlburbs will not necessarily lead to a revitalization of Detroit.

Maybe, but if the decline of the sprawlburbs does not produce a bump in the city then metro Detroit will lose a lot more people than it already has. The city is the logical point of consolidation/urbanization because it can/will host the non-auto oriented transit hubs for the region. They aren't gonna build the region's train station in Royal Oak or Birmingham. That would not make sense.

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 524
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

They aren't gonna build the region's train station in Royal Oak or Birmingham. That would not make sense.

Why not? It makes perfect sense if the Big Beaver corridor is where the jobs are.

Until there is massive and wholesale leadership change in Detroit, about the only thing that will happen around here is that places like Troy, B'ham, R.O., Auburn Hills, Farmington, Novi..etc, will grow and get more dense. They'll keep building pseudo downtown/"urban living" centers with "lofts" and work/live spaces to satisfy those that want to live that way while Detroit languishes.

Why? Because Detroit offers nothing, but demands everything. Want to open a business? Spend a year getting even the most mundane permits and untangling red tape. Want to renovate that space for your new business? Good luck, hopefully your tools, equipment and plumbing are around long enough to get the job done. Let us not forget a huge tax burden for poor services. The list goes on. The long and short of it is that the path of least resistance (and towards the greatest chance for success) leads right out of the CoD. Until that changes, nothing will change.

El_jimbo
Username: El_jimbo

Post Number: 702
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The problem with the Big Beaver corridor and the rest of the suburbs is that they are not designed in a way that would be transit friendly. Not enough density. To much of going from nowhere to nowhere.

What happens to that suburban office park with its sea of parking when transit doesn't work getting there and the company can no longer attract the talent it wants because the employees don't want to pay to drive to the location?

Also, the tax burden thing is something that can be overcome. Every major move downtown has come with tax breaks for the company to move. Why would this change in the future?

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 656
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like suburbia.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 526
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not advocating sprawl over urban density, I'm just stating the fact that here, in Metro Detroit, those who can, choose the lesser of two evils. They choose sprawl-ville over Detroit. Those who don't like those choices, leave.

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 427
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have a winner! Good post Higgs.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 703
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that is the case Higgs, then Lowell might as well shut down the board because this city and the region have no hope left. If we were failing under the previous circumstances with cheap fuel and now it won't succeed in the future with higher fuel than why the hell are any of us wasting our time on here talking about possible turnarounds or doing anything to try and help this area. We might as well just close up shop and leave now.

Rax

Post Number: 428
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Um, yeah. That's a rational response. Blame Lowell now.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2411
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax, I just wanted to get your opinion on this.

Scenario:

Let say you were a middle class suburbanite that lives in Troy and has a family of 4 kids and a wife (or husband). The school they attend has an average or above average score in test taking. Your neighborhood is clean, quiet, and the police, ambulance, and fire department responds when you call in little or no time. You're only seconds from Oakland, Somerset, and Universal mall with additional Wal-Marts and Targets only walking distance from your home. You commute into downtown everyday, but it's only a 20 minute commute on I-75 to the LaSalle bank branch in the Guardian Building when there's no construction going on.

Now, let's say gas reached $8 and you had to make a change in the way you did things.

Would you give up all of that other stuff just to live in the city? Or would you simply re-loacte your job to the headquarters in Troy, so it's virtually only 5 minutes tops from your home, while, you can keep all of the other things you've grown to love?

Rax

Post Number: 432
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I either look for a job near my house or start taking the light rail that hasn't been built, or car pooling, or riding my Vespa down Woodward through Highland Park to my large downtown office. There's a shitload of things you can do outside of moving your wife and kids down to MLK and 2nd.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3203
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Why not? It makes perfect sense if the Big Beaver corridor is where the jobs are.

First, because that infrastructure already exists in Detroit and doesn't elsewhere (MCS ring a bell?).

Second, there is no logistical advantage to putting that type of infrastructure in Troy, Birmingham or Royal Oak. They are not in close proximity to any major airports or border crossings. They aren't even near the geographic center of Metro Detroit.

Third, the NIMBYs.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2412
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There ya go.

That's been my point the whole time.

I know we all want to help the city, but we have to put our well beings first and walk in other people's shoes.

Why would anyone want to move here for the price of gas over much more important assets.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 704
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

Who said anything about blaming Lowell? Try reading more slowly next time.

What I'm saying is that it seems like a lot of people are saying that Detroit wasn't going to fix itself during the cheap energy days that we used to have and now people are saying that even if expensive energy forces people to live in cities they won't live in Detroit and Detroit will never recover.

If that is the case, why bother with any of the things we talk about on here? If things aren't going to get better and more people will leave, why do any of you stick around Michigan or post on this board? If you truly believe it is sinking ship, why not get out now while you still can?

Perhaps if that is how some people feel we should change this forum to DetroitGOODBYE.com.

Rax

Post Number: 433
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They wouldn't? Is that the right answer? You set me up Detoitrise!

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 910
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Some of you are really failing to see the big picture... Surprising I know... but if gas prices stay high, people will be forced to adjust to it by doing such things as living near transit lines! It's not a matter of cutting back in other areas just to feed your oil addiction. If you keep using the oil without cutting your consumption, the prices will continue to rise!

So one way or another your asses will be back to living in Detroit; either out of necessity for a more dense living environment, or because you pay so much for gas that you can't afford to live anywhere else.

This post hurt my brain. Yeah, I'm sure all the middle-class suburbanites are going to be "forced" to move to Detroit and ride DDOT because of high gas prices. The ONLY people who would be forced to abandon private transportation because of high gas prices are the poorest of the poor and guess what, they already live in Detroit. The middle class will adjust to high gas prices, they already have. They cut back elsewhere. They stop taking vacations, they rent movies instead of going to the movies. They cut back on going to concerts and sporting events. But they don't give up their car and home and move to Detroit to ride the bus. That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read, and that's saying a lot for this forum.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 528
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

If that is the case Higgs, then Lowell might as well shut down the board because this city and the region have no hope left.

Not saying there isn't hope. Just saying there is little in our regional leadership to indicate that anything will change in the long or short term.

quote:

If we were failing under the previous circumstances with cheap fuel and now it won't succeed in the future with higher fuel...

Scary isn't it? This region was in a recession at least 5 years before the rest of the country felt anything. Just imagine what the next 5 are going to bring with the same leadership that is inept and corrupt at worst and economically illiterate and short sighted at best ?

quote:

...than why the hell are any of us wasting our time on here talking about possible turnarounds or doing anything to try and help this area.

A bunch of snowbirds, out-staters, and suburbanites TALKING and reminiscing about what Detroit was like a half century ago,hand wringing over the demolition of buildings 30 years empty (where they once had a dentist appointment) , and bitching about the lack of mass transit is no way to save a region.

quote:

We might as well just close up shop and leave now.

A whole lot have already and more will. Is there anything going on here to give one any optimism?

We are in pure survival mode around here, and we still can't get it together.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2413
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pretty much, and it would also make the point Iheartthed and El_jimbo (and select others)are trying to say irrelevant when considering the whole reality of this situation.

Rax

Post Number: 434
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Perhaps if that is how some people feel we should change this forum to DetroitGOODBYE.com.

If you are looking to change the name of this forum, I suggest you click the contact button on the left side of page. This is something only Lowell or the moderators can address. I'm a guest here. I'm not trying to tell him what to name his forum.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 529
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

First, because that infrastructure already exists in Detroit and doesn't elsewhere (MCS ring a bell?)

Are you serious? MCS does ring a bell. It's 20 years of abandonment and blight upon the city rings a bell. It rings out as a beacon of neglect and unenforced code violations. It's just one of many glaring examples of 35+ years of urban blight. It is many things, however, considering the hundreds of millions it would take to make this building usable, one thing it is not is an example of 'existing infrastructure'.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3204
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

This post hurt my brain.

Color me surprised.

quote:

Yeah, I'm sure all the middle-class suburbanites are going to be "forced" to move to Detroit and ride DDOT because of high gas prices. The ONLY people who would be forced to abandon private transportation because of high gas prices are the poorest of the poor and guess what, they already live in Detroit. The middle class will adjust to high gas prices, they already have. They cut back elsewhere. They stop taking vacations, they rent movies instead of going to the movies. They cut back on going to concerts and sporting events. But they don't give up their car and home and move to Detroit to ride the bus. That's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever read, and that's saying a lot for this forum.

So these middle class people that can afford to live elsewhere cut back on spending to put money into the gas tank. That means they aren't spending money at the malls, Home Depot, Lowe's, so they have to start closing. More people out of jobs. If these middle class people cut back on spending that means they aren't buying cars... so surprise, more people out of jobs! More defaults on mortgages, more people leaving the state. Trust me, they will ride the goddamn bus if they have to.

Some of you people are so fucking short sighted.

Iheartthed

Post Number: 3205
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Are you serious? MCS does ring a bell. It's 20 years of abandonment and blight upon the city rings a bell. It rings out as a beacon of neglect and unenforced code violations. It's just one of many glaring examples of 35+ years of urban blight. It is many things, however, considering the hundreds of millions it would take to make this building usable, one thing it is not is an example of 'existing infrastructure'.

Except for all the train tracks running through it. Yup, no infrastructure there!

El_jimbo

Post Number: 705
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Go fuck yourself, Rax. I don't know why you are being such a smartass to me. I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours. That condescending bullshit isn't going to fly.

Higgs1634

Post Number: 530
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Trust me, they will ride the goddamn bus if they have to.

Perhaps. But, if it comes to that, you know what else they'll do? Demand the bus system in the suburbs gets beefed up.

One thing the will not do is move into Detroit to be near a bus line.

Rax

Post Number: 435
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

So these middle class people that can afford to live elsewhere cut back on spending to put money into the gas tank. That means they aren't spending money at the malls, Home Depot, Lowe's, so they have to start closing. More people out of jobs. If these middle class people cut back on spending that means they aren't buying cars... so surprise, more people out of jobs! More defaults on mortgages, more people leaving the state. Trust me, they will ride the goddamn bus if they have to.

Some of you people are so fucking short sighted.

Hey welcome to the discussion. It's called a recession. Did you just roll out of bed?

Higgs1634

Post Number: 531
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Except for all the train tracks running through it. Yup, no infrastructure there!

The last train left that station in 1988! yeah,te tracks are there, however, after 20 years of non use they're only value is as scrap.

Rax

Post Number: 436
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Go fuck yourself, Rax. I don't know why you are being such a smartass to me. I'm entitled to my opinion just as much as you are to yours. That condescending bullshit isn't going to fly.

Gee whiz, sorry El Jimbo.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2415
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some people can't except the fact that they're delusional and it's just a dream.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 375
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Some people can't except the fact that they're delusional and it's just a dream."

What - like The Matrix? Now that was a good movie. So deep, so profound. Much like the posting on this topic.

El_jimbo

Post Number: 706
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax,

I tried to make a legitimate point and you come back with snarky comments about talking to Lowell if I want to change the name of the board. You knew full well that I wasn't actually suggesting we change the name of the board I was just trying to make a point. People don't like when others try to marginalize their comments with smartass, mocking responses. It tends to upset them.

Rax

Post Number: 437
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh God, speaking of delusional. How are things in Indian Village?