Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Nicest neighborhoods in the city « Previous Next »
Archive through June 17, 2008Detmi7mile30 06-17-08  11:57 pm
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2450
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now you can't expect your stuff to still be there if you welcome the thieves to it. :-)

Reddog289
Username: Reddog289

Post Number: 366
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last summer i spent some time around Warrendale, it,s gone down. But the area next to it looks ok.

Softailrider
Username: Softailrider

Post Number: 162
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 8:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where I live ( one mile west of Somerset Mall ) houses are selling for 125 to 250K now , way down from where they were .I could leave my garage door open , go on vacation for two weeks and nobody would touch anything . Just because you forget to close your garage door one night doesn't give your wonderful neighbors the right to help themselves .

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 648
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's the name of the area west of Rouge Park on the far west side?"

I've heard it referred to as "Parkdale".

Detroit_uke
Username: Detroit_uke

Post Number: 17
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What's the name of the Area west of Rouge Park on the far west side?"

I have heard it called "Copper's Canyon"

Masterblaster
Username: Masterblaster

Post Number: 184
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detmi7Mile is referring to the neighborhood west of the University District. This neighborhood is called the Bagley Community, and it has some fantastic single-family and two-family houses that are well-kept for the most part. It has NO vacant lots.

The westside neighborhood of Russell Woods-Sullivan is always overlooked, maybe because it is completed surrounded by ghetto on all four side, is a city-registered historic district consisting of very pretty 1920's, 30's and 40's single-family, and two-family houses ranging from 1500 to 2500 square feet.

www.ci.detroit.mi.us/historic/ districts/russell_woods.pdf

Here's one for sell.
http://www.realestateone.com/c ontent/PropertyDetail.asp?list ingNumber=e28071115

Also, the Aviation Subdivision bordering Dearborn along Tireman Avenue is a nice, well-kept neigborhood of big old houses mixed in with (too many) 1950's ranches, bungalows, and colonials. It has a suburban feel and a very, very confusing suburban layout.

Spacemonkey
Username: Spacemonkey

Post Number: 686
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm going to buy a few homes in Indian Village, have them raised and build a Bed, Bath, and Beyond on the land.

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 384
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'm going to buy a few homes in Indian Village, have them raised and build a Bed, Bath, and Beyond on the land."

Sounds like you first gotta liquidate some assets and start saving...

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 493
Posted on Tuesday, April 29, 2008 - 3:19 pm:

------------------------------ ------------------------------ --------------------
Sadly, I'm not kidding this time. My wife and I have been discussing short selling or foreclosing with our realtor. I've been using my 401(k) $ to make my mortgage.

Detroitking
Username: Detroitking

Post Number: 25
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I guess Detroit doesn't need a spacemonkey. We have enough uneducated and unemployed people that barely can make their mortgage payment.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 696
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too true, DetroitKing.

But the good news is: I just got a new job!

My house is still up for sale, however, and I'm still planning to short sale or foreclose on the bitch, so I can buy a home in Birmingham while the houses there are cheaper in this down economy. Or maybe I'll buy up Indian Village while the house are going for free.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2470
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitking does make a valid point. :-)

Registeredguest
Username: Registeredguest

Post Number: 385
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I can buy a home in Birmingham while the houses there are cheaper in this down economy."

Can't blame you there.

"...or maybe I'll buy up Indian Village while the house are going for free."

So long as you put in that Bed Bath and Beyond. Cause, you know, we're starving for decent retail up in here.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2474
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I'm surprised no one recommended Midtown as a nice neighborhood. :-)

You're walking distance from all the cultural attractions and minutes from all the freeways (arteries and spokes).

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be so surprised...

(Message edited by DetroitRise on June 18, 2008)

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 456
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in Midtown. I wouldn't recommend it as a "nice neighborhood" Why mislead people?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2475
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 2:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I certainly wouldn't recommend Woodbridge, Rosedale Park or Boston-Edison as nice either...

Really, outside of the new rowhomes, Corktown is a virtual wasteland.

Oh, Islandview Village and English Village have some nice, cozy victorians if you're into the older homes. It's near E. Grand Blvd and Belle Isle.

Evander
Username: Evander

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What about Lafayette Park?

I don't live in Detroit, but I've visited this neighborhood and have to say it must be one of the nicest places to live in any city I've ever seen.

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 704
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night, on my way home from work, I drove the stretch of Detroit on 6 Mile, from The Southfield to I-75.

Wow.

Why do people choose to live like that?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2491
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last night, on my way home from work, I drove the stretch of Detroit on 6 Mile, from The Southfield to I-75.

How nice. :-)

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 708
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It wasn't very nice at all, but it's faster than taking 8 Mile which is jammed packed full of cars with people afraid to take 7 Mile or 6 Mile.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2499
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It wasn't very nice at all, but it's faster than taking 8 Mile which is jammed packed full of cars with people afraid to take 7 Mile or 6 Mile."

I'm glad you were pleased by your commute time. :-)

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 712
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thank you for saying so. You are too kind. But yes, I did shave a few minutes off my drive from dearborn to RH by taking Detroit streets with less traffic. Plus, I'm able to blow through red lights on 6 and 7 mile without worry of any police response.

Johnlodge
Username: Johnlodge

Post Number: 7233
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Plus, I'm able to blow through red lights on 6 and 7 mile without worry of any police response.

Then I guess that makes you... part of the solution?

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 713
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Solution to what?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2513
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, don't go crashing into one of those abandoned buildings and hurt yourself. :-)

Spacemonkey

Post Number: 715
Posted on Thursday, June 19, 2008 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw a lot of burned out hulls of homes. What's up with that?

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 107
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Missnmuch and Detroit uke, I live in that neighborhood and some parts of it, according to my tax docs, is called Rouge Park Subdivision and the other area going toward Outer Drive is called Friskhorn (sp) and Parkland subdivisions.

Loralie428
Username: Loralie428

Post Number: 2
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnolodge- EEV Security runs $100 a year, not a month. A great price considering the size of the neighborhood. It is not a mandatory program, so if a resident decides they dont want to pay, they dont have to. Also, to make it a little more affordable, they will accept payments in quarterly increments.
We also snowplow the streets for $25 per season per household.

Detroitbill
Username: Detroitbill

Post Number: 643
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lafayette Park is definetly one of the nicest neighborhoods to live in the city. If you dont like 60s modern architecture you might be hard pressed to find something, but there are a few alternatives in the area.. Great neighbors, excellent walking proximity to downtown and the riverfront,nice walking parks, quite safe, strip mall with restaurants, a few stores, and a grocery store coming,, and affordable real estate,, boarded up residences are non existent.. Highly recommend it if you want urban living.

Bearinabox
Username: Bearinabox

Post Number: 700
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It is not a mandatory program, so if a resident decides they dont want to pay, they dont have to.

That sounds like a tricky system to implement. The entire neighborhood benefits from having the security there, so what is the incentive for an individual homeowner to pay?

Topflight
Username: Topflight

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Help! I'm stuck in Warrendale amongst the Arab-American Mortgage scam. My mortgage company won't refinance my house because (1)I don't owe that much on it and (2) they say my house isn't worth much. I have a new roof, siding, no basement on a slab, 1-car garage with new siding, new windows, and a new florida room to make-up for the no basement, and three bedrooms 1 bath. Where the heck did my investment go?

Craig
Username: Craig

Post Number: 859
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bear has rediscovered "the tragedy of the commons." Comity + Cohesion - Free-riders x Cost of the service = likelihood that the community will spontaneously ante up enough to keep a service going.

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 850
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 3:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spacemonkey,

All joking aside, when did you become such a Detroit hater? I mean, I know Detroit is nowhere near perfect. But... why so hostile lately? If it's not your thing, then it's not your thing, but why try to bring the rest of us down that like it here?

If you can refrain from making such mean comments about the city, then I'll do my best to stop with the mean comments about the suburbs. Anyone else want in on this agreement?

This is depressing and childish. Plus, it really ends up hurting us all. Even if Detroit (or it's suburbs) is really still going downhill, the last thing it needs is a bunch of people helping it along.

Do any of us really enjoy acting this way?

I know I've been guilty of this lately too. I just kind of stopped and thought about what I was doing for a minute, and really felt a little embarrassed for partaking in it at all.

Sorry guys...

Lets try to keep it positive? Please?

Sean_of_detroit
Username: Sean_of_detroit

Post Number: 851
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Topflight,

A house that is used as a primary residence never was a good investment in Michigan. The cost of upkeep and speed of liquidity are just two reasons. Anyone care to name some more?

Mackcreative
Username: Mackcreative

Post Number: 243
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Woodbridge is a historic, diverse, beautiful, and dynamic neighborhood centrally located, and IMHO one of the nicest in Detroit.

Mwilbert
Username: Mwilbert

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A house that is used as a primary residence never was a good investment in Michigan. The cost of upkeep and speed of liquidity are just two reasons. Anyone care to name some more?"

Those two reasons would apply to housing anywhere, and in some places housing has been a good investment, although probably not as good as people sometimes thought--leverage is great when it is working in your favor, not so good going the other way. Why has Michigan housing not been so good? There are two obvious reasons.

Lack of restrictions on new development and lots of room for sprawl. (Supply)

Population, income, and employment growth much slower than national average. (Demand)

Sumas
Username: Sumas

Post Number: 163
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 11:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish people wouldn't sound so bitter. Even Detroit's worst neighborhoods have really great residents. I live in EEV and we are going through hard times too as a neighborhood. It is very important to me to focus on good neighbors and good communication with neighbors. I am reasonably familiar with most areas of Detroit. There are compelling reasons behind the demise of our neighborhoods. Don't trivialize Detroit or it's residents based on what's shown in the news. I have been involved with many neighborhood organizations over the years and when it comes to big hearts and big spirit, I can honestly say no one in the burbs comes close to involved caring Detroit citizens.

Eastside61
Username: Eastside61

Post Number: 1753
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I heard that the Fordham /Celestine neighborhood west of Hayes is pretty good ? not sure?

Ladia
Username: Ladia

Post Number: 26
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sumas i agree, even detroit's worse neighborhoods have good residents. some of the good residents in bad neighborhoods have lived their for years,i think neighborhoods become bad when they don't have long term residents,and too many abandoned empty houses,that attracts vagrants, drug users,and trash.

Lombaowski
Username: Lombaowski

Post Number: 102
Posted on Wednesday, July 02, 2008 - 8:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parkdale is the neighborhood on the other side of Rouge Park. Old Redford is still pretty decent IMO and I really like the University District if I had to live in Detroit right now along with North Rosedale and Rosedale Park. Franklin Park has steadily fallen off since I left but is still relatively nice compared to the rest of the city although they have been hit hard with foreclosures over the past year. That said I wouldn't live anywhere south of Schoolcraft or east of Southfield FWY on the west side, it's amazing how those neighborhoods even since the 80s have gone to hell.

Also the 6 mile stretch from the Southfield FWY may be one of the ugliest areas in the whole city especially near Highland Park so although that poster was being over critical, he's not wrong.

And finally..although I agree with Sumas to a degree the difference I will tell you is that in the suburbs for the most part, when your neighbor sees someone stealing something from your crib they call the cops. To me that's what "caring" is all about.*

*And no, that's not a burbs v city comment. I hate the burbs and only lived in Detroit burbs briefly a few years ago.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.