Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Detroit Sunset « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bulletmagnet
Username: Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1267
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are a few of photos of the sunset from my neck of the woods last Sunday night:

sunset 1

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1268
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sunset 2

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1269
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sunset 3

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1270
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the sunrise from a few weeks ago:

sunrise 1

Django
Username: Django

Post Number: 976
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very nice. What are you shooting with. I need to start thinking about buying a decent digi. I grew up old school, still learning this crazy new fangled stuff and the internets and all.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1271
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For shooting, I usually pack my trusty Smith & Wesson. As for my photos, it's a Nikon D40x DSLR. It was my birthday gift from my wife back in January. I find the small form-factor ideal for toting around town or at work. I chose the 18-135 lens over the stock 55(?) kit lens. Thanks goes out to Lowell for the time he spent showing me the workings of his D80 (I think it was a D80). I just prefer a smaller camera, and I too am an old school photag, Django. This camera is (kind of) entry level without bell and whistles. It has just enough electronic gizmos to get by, but not overwhelm. Buy one for yourself and see what I mean!

tower 1

Jman
Username: Jman

Post Number: 215
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great pictures. Did you use any filters?

Django

Post Number: 981
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 6:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you post a sample of what the 18mm lens produces at its widest option of 18MM? Thats gotta be close to a fisheye. I talked a little with Lowell about this stuff also. Thats what I want, no frills but ability to change lenses. I used to shoot exclusively with a 28mm. Just enough curve on the corners to give me the look I wanted. I might even want to go a little wider next time. Thats why I was hoping you could post something set at 18.

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I shoot with my 18-50 a lot and it's not fish eye looking at all. I think it depends on if the lens is designed as a fish eye lens.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 2080
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 7:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks so much for these beautiful photographs. Whenever I see a wonderful sunset, it just reminds me that the Great Artist paints pictures that I can never hope to come close to!

Blueidone
Username: Blueidone

Post Number: 255
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 8:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bullet...MAGNIFICENT photos! Thank you so much for sharing them. My favorite is the 3rd one you posted. The color contrasts are so striking.

Thanks again.

Django

Post Number: 986
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vizion, I dont really want a fisheye effect, But I do love getting up close and just when you think you start to notice the curves in the corners of the pic, thats as wide as I want to get. Im thinking I want to go a little wider than a 28 though. Thanks for the input.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1272
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Django, the above photos were all hand held shots at, or very close to, 18 MM, and show little parallax. Jman, no filters on the lens, but I did mess around with the Picasa effects a bit before resizing them. Here is a close-up test shot at 18MM:

green glass

Thanks, Leoqueen and Blueidone, for the compliments. Shucks, it was nothin’.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1273
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 9:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Parting shot:

Ferndale PO

Jman

Post Number: 216
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet, thanks for the reply. I bought a D60 a few weeks back and I am very impressed with the camera. Is the Picasa software free? Is it easy to use? I am strictly an amateur photographer but I know even less about computer software.

Django

Post Number: 990
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn, I dont see any "Paralex" (new word for me). I was always shooting 35mm B/W with a 28mm lens. I wonder if the fact that your shooting digi makes the diff? Ill do some research on my own.

Yeah, thats the ticket, research on my own.

Paging Lowell.

Gibran
Username: Gibran

Post Number: 3028
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 10:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

very nice..i have so much to learn ...you guys make it so desirable to get out and do so...thanks

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Tuesday, June 17, 2008 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my experience the cheaper lenses are the ones that have the vignetting around the edges when you zoom all the way in or out.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1274
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 5:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jman, Picasa2 is freeware from Google. It comes with some basic stuff to manipulate and organize your digi photos with. I like it. Viziondetroit
is right about the cheaper lenses, so dont cut corners, Django. Money well spent is money well spent.

Jman

Post Number: 217
Posted on Wednesday, June 18, 2008 - 7:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletman, I will Google it. Many thanks. Again, great pictures.

9936sussex
Username: 9936sussex

Post Number: 140
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 6:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet: The closeup of the glass looks like it was taken at Greenfield Village--either Liberty Craftworks or at the Village Store. Great photo!

Grumpyoldlady
Username: Grumpyoldlady

Post Number: 152
Posted on Friday, June 20, 2008 - 10:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bulletmagnet: Great photos! I am using the first one as my desktop background.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1282
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

9936sussex, you are a very keen observer indeed! I took that test shot while on a visit to the Greenfield Village Liberty Craftworks. Stay tuned GOL, and I will post a link to the hi-rez version when time permits. Here are a couple more of snaps I took at the ‘08 Flower Party in Highland Park in May. For some reason I like taking photos of garages. Thanks again for the compliments, they are well received :-)
Garage before:

garage before

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1283
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Garage after:

garage after

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1284
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These are existing light photo, hand held. Before:

flower party before

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1285
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

After:

flower party after

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1286
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those are example of some simple things this DSLR can do.

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 787
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need a DSLR...

I still shoot with my dad's 1983 Nikkon FM. I love shooting black and white on it, and theres nothing like sitting in the dark room and setting up prints.

I shot with a Medium format 4x6 in Detroit once, and I had some company in the form of cops and homeless people, interested in just what in the world was in the steamer trunk that my partner and I were lugging around. I didn't like developing the 4x6 sheets though, time consuming, and VERY easy to ruin great shots...

Shot with an 8x10 once too...that was a beautiful peice of machinery.

As far as photoediting software goes, picasa is good for just putzing around, but I like the power of my Adobe CS3 for really making things pop.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1289
Posted on Saturday, June 21, 2008 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

D_mcc, I admit I am a bit lazy, more because of time constraints (I should be doing something besides this right now!). This is why I like to shoot digital and using Picasa. Adobe is on my short list. I love the 'old school' you described above. I would like to see any of the photos you may still have from your B&W days, epically from Detroit. I too have a bevy of old film cameras, the Hasselblad 2 1/4 my fav. Of course, one never goes wrong with a Nikon, or Cannon for that matter. I have 1,000's and 1,000's of photos here, mostly snapshots, but some real photos too. I know on this site there are some top-notch photographers who will occasionally post their stuff. Let's us see what ya got!

D_mcc
Username: D_mcc

Post Number: 788
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 12:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

nooooo, lol, I have seen stuff that Ryan has posted on here, and I'm not even going to attempt. I liked taking manual photog classes in school mainly for the darkroom.

When I was developing the 4x6 and 8x10 film, you'd have to sit in there like...hours...and even before...when you would think the room would have NO light leaks...you would start to find them...and your night vision gets pretty good after about 45 minutes.

But you could EASILY mess up the development of those...like if you didn't cycle the sheets...or didn't leave it in the wash long enough...i ruined 2-3 amazing shots that way...very upseting, and NOTHING beats carrying around those trunks lol...God Bless Ansel Adams...

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1300
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 2:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lost more shots to not having my camera handy then to any thing else. I too am humbled by the likes of Ryan and Co.

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 673
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 8:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow! reminds me of being on the open ocean. Except the ones with the houses of course.

<313>

Xd_brklyn
Username: Xd_brklyn

Post Number: 417
Posted on Sunday, June 22, 2008 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Took this shot over Memorial Day Weekend. It was Monday night and I was on the People Mover when the sun set at the end of Grand River. The camera didn't capture the strong glare from the sun that I saw, but it does capture the quiet streets of downtown on its western side.

Bulletmagnet

Post Number: 1303
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2008 - 5:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the downtown sunset shot Xd_brklyn. The people mover has some of the cities best POV. :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.