Discuss Detroit » Archives - July 2008 » Book Building Will Be Shuttered » Archive through June 16, 2008 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Rax
Username: Rax

Post Number: 402
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not sure when Bookies will finally close up shop. But it will be soon I'd imagine. I hear they are trying to purchase another space.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 436
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are going to need so much plywood for that building...

Pcasey
Username: Pcasey

Post Number: 47
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Source??
Pics??

Higgs1634
Username: Higgs1634

Post Number: 517
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when does the window graffiti start..any bets?

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1766
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax will soon learn about citing without sources :-D

Anyone remember that restaurant called Rax? It was like Rally's/Checkers but in Ohio.

Detroitrise
Username: Detroitrise

Post Number: 2379
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Anyone remember that restaurant called Rax? It was like Rally's/Checkers but in Ohio."

RANDOM! :-)

Izzadore
Username: Izzadore

Post Number: 140
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax was Nasty! Didn't they get bought by Shoneys?

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1767
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol.. I know it was random, but the original posters name is Rax so it triggered a thought from my childhood in the 80s lol.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2382
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, how can the Book Building be shuttered if it was never constructed? :-)

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 1768
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 11:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

^ lol...I was gonna say something like that but didn't want to seem trivial lol.

Anyway a lil wiki-du jour http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R ax_Restaurants

Digitalvision
Username: Digitalvision

Post Number: 884
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Although expected if it is true, it is sad. Place has amazing views.

401don
Username: 401don

Post Number: 562
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It doesn't exactly project a positive image to the Book Caddy clientele or anyone considering development on Washington. Someone needs to powerwash and then direct some light on the exterior of the first several floors.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 11808
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Oh, how can the Book Building be shuttered if it was never constructed?

You are mistaken. The Book Building most certainly exists, as does the Book Tower. The last phase was the part that wasn't constructed, which would have been a second tower on the other end of the block.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2383
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"You are mistaken. The Book Building most certainly exists, as does the Book Tower. The last phase was the part that wasn't constructed, which would have been a second tower on the other end of the block."

You missed the whole joke, so just spare me your speech...

Spiritofdetroit
Username: Spiritofdetroit

Post Number: 991
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well Urbanize, the Book Building does exist. Funny little mind you've got there. Quite intriguing and sometimes entertaining

Gnome
Username: Gnome

Post Number: 1360
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

You missed the whole joke, so just spare me your speech...

guess I missed it too. Care to fill the rest of us in?

Detmi7mile
Username: Detmi7mile

Post Number: 68
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL...I didn't miss it. Supersport, the joke is right in your reply.

Detroitstar
Username: Detroitstar

Post Number: 1184
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All the owners have to do is employ 2 3-person security teams to watch the building. Place them in the lobby and make sure the elevators and stairwells are secured, preventing access to the upper floors. A little spending now will prevent the building from losing its value. It is just common sense, and I'm not sure why 23 year old me can figure this out, but the geniuses that own these buildings cant figure it out.

Gambling_man
Username: Gambling_man

Post Number: 1085
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, it is because you are a genius in figuring that the building has any value whatsoever.....it does not.

Rax

Post Number: 412
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder what the tab on the 24 hour/7 days per week Broderick Tower 3 man security team would be after 20+ years?

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2388
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"guess I missed it too. Care to fill the rest of us in?"

There's no sense in trying to explain anything to people with bad taste in humor.

Rax

Post Number: 413
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL!

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 573
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitstar, Do you plan on paying for the security guards or are you going to volunteer your time? You can't hire guards if you don't have money.

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1421
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax wrote, "I wonder what the tab on the 24 hour/7 days per week Broderick Tower 3 man security team would be after 20+ years?"

Probably not as much as the cost of repairing 20+ years of vandalism.

Rax

Post Number: 414
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who says it will get repaired?

Flyingj
Username: Flyingj

Post Number: 219
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rax were in L.A., I knew a rather unimpressive guy who's father was the franchisee. Given their history, it makes sense that the fare was Burger Chef gone Arby's. And we all know what happend to Burger Chef

Burnsie
Username: Burnsie

Post Number: 1422
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm not saying anything's going to get repaired. But if a closed building is worth keeping around, it's worth having a responsible security guard presence.

Rax

Post Number: 416
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

True. But you are no Michael Higgins.

Detroitrise

Post Number: 2390
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Rax were in L.A., I knew a rather unimpressive guy who's father was the franchisee. Given their history, it makes sense that the fare was Burger Chef gone Arby's. And we all know what happend to Burger Chef"

So you're saying that Rax will eventually fade into history because of poor management?

Like Big Boys & Hot N' Now in SE Michigan, Rax should fare well as a local chain.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 7012
Posted on Monday, June 16, 2008 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

... and here's a pic to go along with that lame joke...